• Martin O'Neill
    • Alan Curbishley
    • Kevin Keegan
    • Luiz Felipe 'Big Phil' Scolari
    • Fabio Capello
    • Lee Grooby
    • Someone else

This poll is closed to new votes

it's the biggest job in world football and it should go to someone of that profile. Sven has been relatively successful as a manager and if he goes two games further in Germany than the last two tournaments then he will be a legend.

If we hire someone else like Hiddink of Scolari we know what we are getting and the likes of Beckham, Rooney et al are going to have respect for them. How do you think those players will react to Big Sam or Pearce? It's not lie a club side - shouting at the players isn't going to help we just need a brilliant tactitian to implement a system that suits the players.

None of the English names on that list qualify

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the possible candidates, Hiddink would be by far the most qualified. But seeing as how the media treated Sven I think you'd be better off with an English manager. Simply because people wouldn't give another foreigner a chance, you'd have tabloids, fake sheiks and all that crap again. The manager wouldn't get to focus on the job at hand, whereas an English manager would. So from that perspective, Hiddink would be dumb to take the job.

But seeing as how I'm not English I hope Venables or McLaren gets the job wink.gif I have my doubts whether Pearce, Allardyce or Curbishley would be much good either, but it's hard to tell either way.

Out of the available candidates in the poll I would prefer Martin O'Neil who proved himself a very good manager and tactician with Celtic, or possibly one for the future would be Stuart Pearce.

But I voted for A.N.Other and had in mind Bryan Robson or Terry Butcher because both are ex- England internationals with plenty of nouse and experience and both of them would REALLY care about it; which to me is a necessary qualification.

. . . just need a brilliant tactitian to implement a system that suits the players.

394241[/snapback]

Currently IMO, I don't think Sven qualifies for that either. Some of his tactics have seemed questionable

Edited by Ronin

Martin O Neill without a doubt...

He's won trophies - 2 cups with LCFC - where are they now

Numerous with Celtic and a European Final..

Best tactician, media man and man motivator on the short list..

E Fife have to disagree with you Robson and Butcher would be a disaster, would send the dressing room to sleep

Would be a disater if the barcodes get O Neill and not England

Currently IMO, I don't think Sven qualifies for that either. Some of his tactics have seemed questionable

394259[/snapback]

In terms of the games we have lost I would agree but it doesn't mean the concept is wrong. Kevin Keegan is the greatest shouty english manager there has ever been and we know what he did with the England team. The fact is Sven is one of the most consistent managers England have ever had and he has the complete loyalty of the players.

I have this worrying feeling that we may miss Sven before long.

Ray-Von and Exiled; I don't quite understand why "tossers at club level" mean that you can't cheer for your country. The Rovers interest is also a bit strange too. It is your country you should stick up for them whoever plays. I'll wager that 2 short years ago Craig Bellamy and Robbie Savage were two of the league's biggest "tossers" in your eyes.

Maybe because I live abroad I have an enhanced sense of patriotism toward my country but your views confuse me.

394240[/snapback]

Didn't say I don't cheer for them, I just don't take the losses too hardly - an example being the Northern Ireland game, I laughed at the embarrassment rather than crying into my beer (nearly got my head kicked in for that I might add laugh.gif ).

I didn't think Bellamy and Savage were tossers two years ago, though I had an inkling they were both rather foolish.

Martin O Neill without a doubt...

He's won trophies - 2 cups with LCFC - where are they now

Numerous with Celtic and a European Final..

Best tactician, media man and man motivator on the short list..

E Fife have to disagree with you Robson and Butcher would be a disaster, would send the dressing room to sleep

Would be a disater if the barcodes get O Neill and not England

394263[/snapback]

You obviously dont know Terry Butcher; he is the most animated and vocal football manager I have ever seen (and I am including Pearce). You would not want to be a Motherwell player if he thinks they have not done their utmost in a match! blink.gif

I really dont see how anyone can think that Fat Sam is good enough for the job!

394260[/snapback]

He has done wonders at Bolton with no money.

He gets the best out of the players available to him.

Like Sparky, Jose etc, he's of the new breed of managers that disect the game in every minute detail.

What has O'neil done that big sam hasn't? They both managed teams in all the lower leagues. Big Sam has done better in the prem than o'neil did.

He has done wonders at Bolton with no money.

He gets the best out of the players available to him.

Like Sparky, Jose etc, he's of the new breed of managers that disect the game in every minute detail.

What has O'neil done that big sam hasn't? They both managed teams in all the lower leagues. Big Sam has done better in the prem than o'neil did.

394274[/snapback]

Where have you been? O'Neil made his name not at that tuppence hapeny outfit Leicester City; he worked wonders with Celtic built a great team there. Remember when they played Rovers in the Eufa Cup?

Not sure how Kevin Keegan crept onto that list. We arguably have the best set of players in the world so they need putting in the right formation and motivating, as crazy as sounds for some reaseon these greedy, money motivated stars need motivating to win the world cup!!! I think Stuart Peerce would make an excellent England manager, i'm just not sure if he is ready yet. It a tough call.

Edited by Rovers_4_life

I think Pearce lacks experience but he is undoubtedly capable of motivating some of our players to play to their full potential. I don't think Curbishley has any ambition and that is not the sort of person I want to coach England. Rather old fashionedly I'd like to insist on us having an English coach do the job rather than a foreigner and at the moment I think Allardyce could do a great job. He's really brought Bolton forward a long long way in the last 5 or 6 years and has showed he can manage some awkward personalities like Diouf.

Sam has absolutely no class though. Standing there with his mouth wide open, chewing gum - ugh! I feel sorry for the poor s** on the other end of his headphones, they must be able to hear nothing but slurp, slurp, slurp......... dry.gif

Where have you been? O'Neil made his name not at that tuppence hapeny outfit Leicester City; he worked wonders with Celtic built a great team there. Remember when they played Rovers in the Eufa Cup?

394280[/snapback]

I do remember because i went to the so called mecca of football and watched our team totally and utterly play Celtic off the park. That we didn't win that game was nothing to do with Martin O'Neil. They were the luckiest team in football that night.

O Neil did make his name at Leicester. He was being touted as the next Man U manager before he decided to take life easy north of the border.

Anyway - I don't doubt that he's a great manager - I just don't think he's any better than Sam.

Not sure how Kevin Keegan crept onto that list. We arguably have the best set of players in the world so they need putting in the right formation and motivating, as crazy as sounds for some reaseon these greedy, money motivated stars need motivating to win the world cup!!! I think Stuart Peerce would make an excellent England manager, i'm just not sure if he is ready yet. It a tough call.

394281[/snapback]

He's there for the very same reason you have just posted. You say the players need 'motivating' Well Keegan was the ultimate man manager and motivator but look where that got us.

The England team are their for pride - not money. Owen, Rooney, Neville, Lampard, Gerrard - none of those guys are just doing it for the money - they love football.

They need expert analysis so that the manager can put right what is going wrong on the pitch. They need someone to read the game and be able to make quick clear instructions.

Also remember you people picking Big Sam that means that Kevin Davies and Kevin Nolan would be in the England squad.

394311[/snapback]

Big Sam uses what he's got available. If Rooney and Lampard were in the Bolton ranks I doubt Davies and Nolan would be first team regulars. That is why he's my choice as he makes the best of what he's got.

Is lack of experience a major draw-back for an England manager?

I mean, apart from the media pressures to deal with, you have the best English players to choose from and a heck of a lot of time to think about tactics in between 'thrilling' friendlies.

Stuart Pearce would do a good job and I don't think the comparisons with Keegan are fair. Pearce has shown that he's a lot more measured than KK.

I have to say, all the names mentioned so far are a darn sight better than Ms Sven Beckham.

Call me old fashioned but I think you should only consider managers from your own country as it is international football we are talking about. This leaves about 4 or 5 candidates who you couldn't choose between.

Its a misconception when people go on about experience because the manager won't have to buy players, or even coach them really, all he has to do is motivate them and have good tactics. Its totally different from club management.

How do you know how good anyone is until they get a shot at it anyway and if they aren't any good then sack them. At least at this level you don't get stuck with a load of bad buys when you sack a manager you just bring in a new man and he takes over with the same playuers available.

What I am trying to say is thast I haven't got a clue but as long as he is English then thats fine with me.

Not that bloke from Burnley though, Steve Whatsisname!

It was not so long ago that Sam was questioning why Nolan wasnt considered for a England call up so he would be a bit of a hypocrite if he didnt call him up for England.

Every England manager has their favourites, Sven always sticks by Hargreaves and the only decent thing he ever did was injure Diseler in a German match recently.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.