• Martin O'Neill
    • Alan Curbishley
    • Kevin Keegan
    • Luiz Felipe 'Big Phil' Scolari
    • Fabio Capello
    • Lee Grooby
    • Someone else

This poll is closed to new votes

Surprised this has'nt already happened so here we go.

Sven Goran Eriksson is leaving his post as England Manager after this summers World Cup. Many names have been suggested but, 6 weeks on no successor has been appointed. With the FA talking to many potential candidates who's your choice for the top job?

My choice is Sam Allardyce and watch Bolton plumpet.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as i would love for Bolton to fail, Fat Sam is not good enough to be the manager of England.

He has done well for Bolton but he has never managed at the top level and he has never had to deal with a squad, full of Big ego's.

bring back keagan and let the good times roll. ph34r.gif

pearce one day, but he not ready yet. he needs more experience.

fat sam i don't think he has the respect as the top manager of england.

curbs i doubt he will ever go anywhere else bar charlton till he retires.

hiddink and o'neil would be a great success but they are not english and i doubt they can be arsed with the english media imo.

I really couldn't give a toss about England, but a tub-thumper like Pearce would be in the similar mode to Keegan.

Martin O'Neill is spoken of very highly in Simon Garners autobiography, so perhaps he is worth a shout.

If Sam Allardyce gets the England job I'm leaving the country.

Give it Steve McLaren. He knows the current England set up and the players inside out. He's worked with the best (Fergie and Man U) he's English, has as much if not more experience as any of the other candidates and would be able to command respect from the top players.

He may not be doing especially well for Middlesbrough in the league right now but he's awesome in knock out football and we're going to win the World Cup anyway so he'll be under no pressure to acheive great things as we'll have already done it.

I only look out for England or any international teams if there is a Rovers interest. International football just doesnt excite me like it does at club level. The England team is full of Tossers that people can't stand at club level. Why should I cheer them just because they wear an England shirt?

rover.gif terry butcher for me,with brooking in the background,terry never let england down and his team would be afriad too.fans rant on about this coach and that,england needs a manager players get all the coaching needed at their clubs tinykit.gif

Not too fussed myself (I'm not English btw tongue.gif ), but out of the candidates, O'Neill or Pearce would be it. Granted Pearce has not got the managerial experience, but then neither did Hughes before Wales, or Van Basten before Holland / Klinsmann before Germany for that matter. But they do have bags of International experience as players, which should stand for something, and I do think that he'd keep the inflated egos of Team England in check and take none of the nonsense and whinging. Same I reckon would go for O'Neill too, and Allardyce at a push (although on the whinging maybe not!).

This would be where I think Curbishley would fail, he just doesn't seem the type to make a stand.

As for dealing with the media, Pearce and O'Neill would also shine out above the rest.

But hey, it's up to the incompetent FA to choose.

Bryan Robson.

An excellent knowledge of international football, having played 80 odd games for England.

Players would respect him for the man was a brilliant footballer.

Used to working with overpaid nancys and prima-donnas having spent several years at Middlesbrough.

Worked wonders with WBA with zero cash.

Wouldn't cost a lot of cash to pay, just a crate of ale and and a bottle of Jack Daniels every week and he would be happy.

In order:

1. Big Phil Scolari (if he can speak English)

2. Martin O'Neill (Will be boring but successful)

3. Fabio Capello (again, may be higher if I knew he could speak English)

4. Guus Hiddink (looks like he'll be elsewhere though)

5. Bob Caragees (aka Sam Allardryce)

No way I want these in:

1. Steve McLaren (Over rated, too much like Sven)

2. Mark Hughes (want him to stay here obviously)

3. Terry Venables (I have seen a few letters on teletext wanting this tit)

4. Stuart Pearce (Over rated and inexperienced. Maybe the next one after this)

I only look out for England or any international teams if there is a Rovers interest. International football just doesnt excite me like it does at club level. The England team is full of Tossers that people can't stand at club level. Why should I cheer them just because they wear an England shirt?

394210[/snapback]

I have a similar outlook on the England team, i.e a bunch of tossers I can't stand. Not that I don't cheer for them, because I do, but I don't feel the pain of a loss like I used to.

As for my choice, Fat Sam - mainly just to shut him up and get rid of Bolton from the Prem. thumbs-up.gif

I threw my hat in for Stuart Pearce. If Robson was on the poll I would've voted for him.

In my view Stuart's handling of the media is secondary to his handling of the players. With that many ego's in one locker room there is an urgent need for some mad man who couldn't give a toss about whether their left back is whinging about this or his strike duo is complaining about that. I'm not going to subscribe 100% to the New Blood Theory, but after the Swedish Wet Fish I think the face of the National Team is almost as important as how it performs on the pitch. There are alot of English citizens whose stomachs are turning at the current team and their performances and a fresh face is needed for marketing and for getting the public's confidence back.

The others in the list I'd have reservations about, though, excluding Mr. O'Neill. Stuart is inexperienced, sure, and he might not even be the man for the job long term, but to guide them through the Euro Qualifiers and then the competition I think he is completely capable. After that, then the FA can evaluate and see who they want to run the team into the 2010 World Cup...

Just a non-U.K.er's 2 pence...

Ray-Von and Exiled; I don't quite understand why "tossers at club level" mean that you can't cheer for your country. The Rovers interest is also a bit strange too. It is your country you should stick up for them whoever plays. I'll wager that 2 short years ago Craig Bellamy and Robbie Savage were two of the league's biggest "tossers" in your eyes.

Maybe because I live abroad I have an enhanced sense of patriotism toward my country but your views confuse me.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.