BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Souey Sets Sights On Palace

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently, it's Zaccheroni that Palace are speaking to.

Gab Marcottin was saying on Talksport yesterday this fellow employed an innovative 3-4-3 formation.

The midfield consisted of 2 holding midfielders and 2 glorified full backs. The 3 forwards were all strikers and were left permanently up penning the opposition defence back all match.

Could be interesting.

Gab Marcottin was saying on Talksport yesterday this fellow employed an innovative 3-4-3 formation.

The midfield consisted of 2 holding midfielders and 2 glorified full backs. The 3 forwards were all strikers and were left permanently up penning the opposition defence back all match.

Could be interesting.

Can't see how that could work, their two holding midfielders would leave a huge space for other side's midfield. Keep the four defenders to cope with their three attackers, push the wide midfielders on past their 'glorified' full backs and the defenders are getting pulled all over the place.

He must have had bloody good players to get away with it that's all I can think.

Edited by LDRover

Wow that would be a coup for Palace. Zaccheroni seems to be one of those managers that would suit well at a club like Rovers, Spurs or Villa.

Except for his first year at Milan, he never quite got there but would suit a top 6 team for sure always pushing for honours without too much expectation.

He did very well for Lazio (my italian soft spot) when they were in a rough patch due to the mass player exit, I think he could work wonders at Palace.

I dont have anything against Souness, I think a lot of people forget what good he actually did for the club, taking an absolutely shocking group of players left by Brian Kidd and moulding them into a team that got promotion automatically, the 2000/2001 season was one of the best seasons in recent years.

Souness' problem came when we sold Duff, his master plan was broken up and his big money gamble (aka Barry Ferguson) back fired big time. As the money dried up so did Souey's hunger to do well at Rovers.

If he goes to Crystal Palace it would not suprise me to see them gain automatic promotion to the Premiership as in Simon Jordan they have a chairman who can back his manager financially. Therefore I think Souey will succeed, however you cant help but feel that if Palace were broke Souey wouldn't be interested in the slightest.

Good luck to Souey and remember the good parts of Souey's reign 2000-2003 (10th, 6th and the Worthington Cup, that aint too bad in my book!)

I dont have anything against Souness, I think a lot of people forget what good he actually did for the club, taking an absolutely shocking group of players left by Brian Kidd and moulding them into a team that got

Sure, they weren't performing but the set of players weren't shockingly bad compared to the team that Sam Allardyce worked with to get Bolton up that same year. Souey and Tigana had money for transfers and wages.

Souness rules himself out of Palace job

"I met Simon and I was very impressed," Souness told the Mirror.

"But I've had a chat with my family and the job is not for me."

my translation:

" i met simon and thought he was a playboy"

"but when i got home, my wife wears the trousers and told me there is no way on earth you are going to take that job, you got the garden to do and i'm still waiting for the spare bedroom to be re-decorated, like i have been for the last 20 years. so thats put me in my place."

according to 'mirror', palace will appoint peter taylor as manager. :blink:

not convinced over taylor.

good manager at league 1 level, seems lost when he gets any higher.

before any1 mentions his 1st spell as U21 chief, he got lucky with the high standard of players in the age group.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Daily Telegraph - Greek Odyssey for Souness?

Well...he may not have gone to Palace (there have been reports that he actually turned down the job as he didn't want to uproot his family again) but that doesn't mean we have heard the last of Souness...he is being linked with a move to managerless Greek giants Panathanikos, former European Cup finalists and the only Greek side to reach a European final. As well as The Torygraph it's also been in the paper that doesn't like us very much, The Daily Mirror.

What would make this so interesting is this...Panathanikos are in Group G of the Uefa Cup, alongside PSG, Rapid Bucharest, Hapoel Tel Aviv and Mlada Boleslav (a Czech team). They will certainly expect, as top seeds, to come through that group.

Imagine if we ending up playing a Souness side in the knockout stages? It'd be quite a story...

Another article here from the very impressive new Rovers part of the website Vital Football; Souness to go Greek?

Just to compare our last few managers with GS...

First of all lets accept that GS was a manager with us for a couple of seasons in the old division one but

Since Kenny left:

Brian Kidd 36 games - 38 points - 1.05 points per game

Roy Hodgson 51 games - 67points - 1.31 points per game

Ray Harford 48 games - 65 points -1.35 points per game

Tony Parkes 47 games - 77 points - 1.64 points per game

Graeme Sounesss 127 games - 253 points - 1.99 points per game

Mark Hughes 71 games - 100 points - 2.70 points per game

I'll get me anorak .............................

(nice warm glow about that last line though isn't it?)

Well there would be if only you had got the calc right! They are all correct up to the Mark Hughes one:

Mark Hughes 71 games - 100 points - 1.41 points per game

Sorry about that colin, but........ :blink:

I'll take the anorak!

Edited by Fife Rover

Mmmm? Refuses Palace not wanting to uproot his family but would opt for Greece? Yup makes sense.

Iwas gonna say... 2.7pts/game would have had us there or there abouts as Champions.

Edited by USABlue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.