BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Argentina

Finch

Have just seen the second round game between Argentina and Mexico and they just look a class apart. It pains me to say that I can't see anyone beating them.

That second goal in extra time was just breath-taking.

The next round tie with Germany looks like being a game and a half.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great goal to win it but i feel sorry for Mexico tonight. They were easily just as good as the argies today who failed to impress as much as they have done earlier in the competition. Could have gone either way really and I have to admit I was supporting the Mexicans tonight. Germany vs Argentina should be a cracking game though.

I have been really impressed woth Argentina so far but I thought they actually looked little vulnerable at the back. If Mexico had beter strikers I rekon they could hae comeout of that with a win.

However you have to suspect that Argentina were playing at around 70% for most of the game.

If anyone can beat them I would imagine Germany, the way they are playing, are the team to do it. I hope they don't though!

The Argentinian substitutes said it all: Tevez, Ayala and Messi!

No other country comes remotely close to the strength Argentina has in terms of being able to apply pressure in the last 20 minutes and through extra time.

Just imagine Tevez and Messi running at a team cramping in that heat- massacre.

Argentina are by a long way the stand out team of the World Cup so far. The likely Argentina v Brasil final could be one of the great matches of all time but Argentina are the all-round team of the two.

The Argies had a nasty scare last night. The winning goal was the most incredible thing you'll see at this World Cup.

Messi must start the next game-he was terrifying in extra-time.

Edited by Rovermatt

I have been really impressed woth Argentina so far but I thought they actually looked little vulnerable at the back. If Mexico had beter strikers I rekon they could hae comeout of that with a win.

However you have to suspect that Argentina were playing at around 70% for most of the game.

If anyone can beat them I would imagine Germany, the way they are playing, are the team to do it. I hope they don't though!

Totally agree that a better strike force for Mexico and the result could well have been different. Not so sure Argentina were deliberatley playing within themselves. I don't think they expected Mexico to play with such vigour and never really looked comfortable in the game.

If they come up against a team that can play with Mexico's tempo but with a better strikeforce, they might come unstuck. Unfortunately, I can't think of a team that is likely to do that.

The Argentinian substitutes said it all: Tevez, Ayala and Messi!

Not Ayala - Aimar.

I don't point that out to be a pedant, infact I think it strengthens your point.

For me even though germany have not been playing aswell as the argies did in the early stages they wil knock them out.

Mexico came so close to beating them but they have the advantage of playing them often. They are far from a class apart.

I really think that Germany could give Argentina a scare, even if it's just by taking them to pens and still losing.

Lahm and Schweinsteiger are such a good combination down the left and the Argies play with a diamond formation, so their flanks are definitely vulnerable.

Personally I think Mexico can count themselves unlucky - many teams other than the Argies might have found themselves down to 10 men . Surprised by how good the Mexicans are but nevertheless the Germans will take heart from this game . With home advantage they have a fair chance .

I thought the Argentina - Mexico was a perfect example of how football should be played. Both teams were playing wide open attacking football and then counter attacking with devestating effect.

I think that because Argentina are open to the counter attack that they can definately be beaten, but it will take some doing.

They have absolute quality and experience in teh starting 11 and then great youth talent on the bench that can change a game in an instant.

They were my bet for winners before the tournament and they have even surprised me!

I think that Mexico played very well last night, but Argentina were dictating the game, especially in the second half when the Mexicans were content to counter attack.

A decent team could easily give the Argies a run for their money. I wouldn't agree about them playing at 70% as they would've stepped up and won it in before extra-time otherwise.

Of course England look far from a decent team at the moment, so Argentina would probably pummel us.

What does Sven do at half-time???

I think Mexico is only out because the did not go wide on attack, kept trying to come through the middle. The Argies looked classy on the ball, nice silky skills and touched but Mexico gave them all they could handle. My feelings are Argentina looked vunerable when Mexico went wide and whipped in the crosses behind them, I think that is the way to get to 'em. Next match should be a good one.

That Messi looks to be one hell of a quality player.

Edited by USABlue

Tinted Glasses :rolleyes:

It was every bit as good, in fact it was slightly tougher for Maxi as he had to spin 90 degrees after receiving the ball on his chest

I agree, Joe Cole had time to let the ball bounce and the goalie nearly saved it, whereas Maxis goal was in one movement and the goalie didn't get a hand to the ball. I'd rather watch Maxi's goal than Coles goal, it's more pleasing to the eye.

Edited by Cookiemonster

To answer the title question: yes, Argentina can be beaten.

I'm of two minds about that match. Part of me thinks that Mexico's showing demonstrates that a team that comes in with a solid gameplan, plays pressing, couterattacking football, and takes advantage of set pieces (read: Italy when on song) can knock off the Argentines.

The other part of me thinks that the Argentines didn't really get out of second gear and still dispatched a pretty quality Mexico side--which is really scary.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.