BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shabani Nonda Signs

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At a fixed price of 2m, I don't think we'll keep him. However, in an ideal world, I do think he is worth keeping. He has by and large shown himself to be a good team player, and his holding of the ball is actually very good. I think what will happen though is we'll move heaven and earth to try and tempt bellers back. If we pull it off, jeffers and nonda are both gone. If we dont, I think we might just keep jeffers around as a cheap back-up. Hopefully, that would see Gally given the permanent 4th striker's spot while we shop around for a big name partner to Benni.

Guest shoppybrfc

Nonda in is prime was probably more deadly then Benni, I dont think most people realise how serious his injury was, yet they still bash Nonda. If most Rovers fan saw the injury Im sure they'd lay off the guy a bit more and be a bit more suportive.

Nonda in is prime was probably more deadly then Benni, I dont think most people realise how serious his injury was, yet they still bash Nonda. If most Rovers fan saw the injury Im sure they'd lay off the guy a bit more and be a bit more suportive.

his injury was nearly two years ago...altho its very bad, it was two years ago..

he simply isnt good enough, he's too much like benni mcarthy, mcarthy being the better of course..

Guest shoppybrfc
his injury was nearly two years ago...altho its very bad, it was two years ago..

he simply isnt good enough, he's too much like benni mcarthy, mcarthy being the better of course..

Two years ago, and this is first full season back, in a new league, new country, and again his season has been hampered by injuries. We all know you love Roberts, every one of your posts on the official board seems to be about Jason, and bashing Nonda. The only reason you think he's like Benni is because he's black and plays for a team also in the African Nations :rolleyes:

It is a shame we couldn't get the best out of him, at some periods he looked absolute class

I hope he one day gets back to THIS

Looking at the footage there of Nonda, he is hardly recognisable with what I have seen of him for Rovers. No pace, indecisive and crucially a tame finisher now. Could be fitness/injury, or could be motivation?

I don't think it matters how long ago his injury was. It was SAVAGE, and a lot of injuries like that, you never really heal from. I got a much gentler toe injury over two years ago now. I didn't play for over a year and a half, and I don't think it's ever going to fully heal. In the meantime I picked up an ankle injury just because I tripped over something while kicking around. And that seems even less likely to heal completely, and very likely to cause me future problems. What didn't happen to me in either case was my toe or my leg get slammed to a ridiculous angle like what happened to Shabani.

But do I think we should keep him around for 2 million? Nope. Oh and I see very little similarity, apart from being African, between Benni and Nonda.

Looking at the footage there of Nonda, he is hardly recognisable with what I have seen of him for Rovers. No pace, indecisive and crucially a tame finisher now. Could be fitness/injury, or could be motivation?

More likely to be subconcious fear than anything physical. How do you overcome that? Hynosis? Or patient re-building by playing games at the top level? Or is there no way back? Who knows?

Edited by Fife Rover

Thats irrelevent. I don't really care how good he was - all I'm bothered about is how good he plays for Rovers. I suppose you could argue he's done a decent enough job as a loan signing but I doubt we'll sign him permanently. With the form Roberts has shown recently and the potential Matty has I don't think he'd be higher than fourth choice next season. Thats if we don't buy another striker - if we do he's gonna be even further down the pecking order.

the way he plays is similar to mcarthy, not just his colour..

nonda hasnt been good enough this season, hes now 4th in the pecking order, says it all really..

and yes im more of a fan to roberts then i am nonda..and looks whos proving it..nonda aint proving doubters wrong, roberts is..

roberts is still a poorer player, technically. Before his Injury Nonda was one of the best in europe, at the same time Robert wasnt even the best in the championship! :D Injuries have effectively ruined career, yet morons like you are still putting the player down. Its a shame seeing a player who is half the way he once was.

And Nonda will be here next season, according to my inside info :D

Edited by mattie

the way he plays is similar to mcarthy, not just his colour..

nonda hasnt been good enough this season, hes now 4th in the pecking order, says it all really..

and yes im more of a fan to roberts then i am nonda..and looks whos proving it..nonda aint proving doubters wrong, roberts is..

Seemingly Hughes is pleased enough with Nonda.

It looks as if Nonda (link) is a done deal, let us hope that Sparky has seen glimpses of what he used to be capable of. Let us not forget he's scored quite a few goals when playing. To quote Hughes himself: “We’d like to get him here permanently. He’s one of those players I feel will come through a lot stronger next year.”.

Sparky also said that Roberts is going nowhere come summer:

Hughes said: “Jason is a big part of my plans."

“He’s had a frustrating year but I bet he doesn’t want the season to end.

“He’s looking fit and a real handful for opposition defenders.”

Edited by HairwayToSteven

I have to say I am a bit suprised. Does this mean that we definately do have the money for a big summer striker signing? Or does it mean that we are just going to stick with what we have?

He has done okay for us, and I am not opposed to him staying, but just a little worried we might miss the boat on someone like Bellamy.

I have to say I am a bit suprised. Does this mean that we definately do have the money for a big summer striker signing? Or does it mean that we are just going to stick with what we have?

He has done okay for us, and I am not opposed to him staying, but just a little worried we might miss the boat on someone like Bellamy.

Theres no chance of getting Bellamy back if you ask me, for the simply reason that it would be too much shame for him to come back

I can't understand Hughes wanting to keep Nonda. All I can think is that the price must be lower than £2 million.

I see great potential in Nonda, but buying him for £2million I can see great disappointment. £2million for a 30 year old, injury prone, inconsistent forward doesn't sound like a Hughes type purchase to me.

At 500k to £1million I'd give it a go. No more.

2m we could spend a lot better elsewhere on someone younger imo.

On the other hand quite a few foreign players have performed much better second season than first. Expect him to be like Drogba next time round. ;)

Nonda seems to score the most compicated chances he gets and misses the easy ones, if he can score the overhead kicks and that tap ins i tihnk we have a 15+ goals a season man. anyway i have complete faith in sparky.

I really feel that Nonda is worth a gamble and obviously Sparky must think the same. He obviously must still have his football brain in there and he will still have the natural striker's instincts. What he needs badly is match practice and a large dose of self-belief, which hopefully will come with games and MH and Co coaching. Got to be worth a shot at £1m to £2m.

If we don't sign him, you can bet that one of our rivals e.g Everton, Bolton, Villa etc will.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.