BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

Benni can be as lazy as he likes providing he scores 20 goals a season.

Two ways of looking at it .

1 - He could be well capable of adding another 5 + at least on top of the 20 with more application .

2 - Ferguson and co will stay clear of someone with such a laid back attitude .

Can't complain too much on balance I suppose ...

Two ways of looking at it .

1 - He could be well capable of adding another 5 + at least on top of the 20 with more application .

2 - Ferguson and co will stay clear of someone with such a laid back attitude .

Can't complain too much on balance I suppose ...

Also maybe, because he doesn't bust a gut all the time, when a chance presents itself he is more capable of taking it, because he isn't knackered.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

But if its not quite working properly it needs looking at.

He doesn't need to bust a gut - but needs to apply himself more when the ball goes to him by way of challenging for headers and offering an outlet - something he has not done a great deal of over the last couple of months

He has the ability with classs on top - he needs to show it instead of trying to be a show off all the time as Blue Phil posted he could be well capable of adding another 5 - I think it could have been more.

I can't give you guys any link because the article isn't available online, so please dont shoot the messenger.

The Straits Times (Singapore's national daily) has quotes from benni taken from the "United Review" ahead of tomorrow's match, linking him with a summer move to them, stating that he has a 5m clause and that "If the big clubs want you, then they will get you. If Blackburn is offered the money, then of course i'm interested".

Now, few points to ponder. 5m for a 29-30 yr old 18 goal forward. What do you guys think? It is afterall double the amount we paid for him. More pertinently of course, I've not heard of this clause anywhere on this board (or elsewhere for that matter). Does it exist?

The Straits Times (Singapore's national daily) has quotes from benni taken from the "United Review" ahead of tomorrow's match, linking him with a summer move to them, stating that he has a 5m clause and that "If the big clubs want you, then they will get you. If Blackburn is offered the money, then of course i'm interested".

How are Rovers supposed to get maximum value for their successful players if they allow such ridiculously low release clauses? For a £2.5million fee we should be looking at £10million release clause not just a few million more.

Hope it isn't true.

How are Rovers supposed to get maximum value for their successful players if they allow such ridiculously low release clauses? For a £2.5million fee we should be looking at £10million release clause not just a few million more.

Hope it isn't true.

Perhaps a better question would be to ask how Rovers are supposed to buy successful players in the first place without putting a release clause in their contract?

Perhaps the likes of Bellamy and McCarthy wouldn't have signed for us without one.

I hope it's not true as well, but can understand if it is.

Perhaps a better question would be to ask how Rovers are supposed to buy successful players in the first place without putting a release clause in their contract?

Perhaps the likes of Bellamy and McCarthy wouldn't have signed for us without one.

I hope it's not true as well, but can understand if it is.

That's not a better question as I've no problem with the release clauses as long as they are at a level which allows Rovers to gain as well from the player having been successful at Ewood.

Bellamy I can understand. McCarthy may have asked for a clause but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have turned down a Premiership move he had been gagging for over the previous year and more over it.

There would be little point in a player signing for us, on the basis of a release clause that allows him to leave if a bigger club came sniffing, then having the clause at £50million or something equally unlikely to be met.

Well...obviously.

However a £5million release clause is still too low to agree to. Once signing-on fees etc are taken into consideration it means that if Benni was a huge success for us then when he leaves we have little profit to show and are again without a quality striker. Meaning that if we did get a bargain who turns out to be the bee's knees then once we lose him we have to replace him by looking in the bargain bin once again.

A £10million release fee clause is reasonable - or even £8million - but £5million is a sign of poor negotiating.

I'm hoping the fee mentioned is a mix-up as Benni's Porto release clause was something like £5million, perhaps a little bit more.

Rovers took a chance on a player who had never been tried and tested in the Premiership (many others with as impressive pedigrees as Benni have failed) as well as one whom a number of other Premiership clubs had shied away from. A release clause too low suggests it is Rovers taking all the chances and, if it proves a success, only the player and his agent that really stand to benefit.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Can't see Ferguson buying Benni. He's been great for us this season but there are better options out there, especially if you are a club like United.

He'd be a fantastic buy at £5m (bearing in mind the resources they have at their disposal) - having Benni come off the bench as the third striker would be a huge upgrade over what they have now.

Can't see Ferguson buying Benni. He's been great for us this season but there are better options out there, especially if you are a club like United.

Exactly . Benni threw a wobbler after being left on the bench ......how much time would he spend on UTD'S bench ? And how many wobblers would Fergy tolerate ?

Having said that , a money + Saha deal would be ok if the worst came to the worst ....

Exactly . Benni threw a wobbler after being left on the bench ......how much time would he spend on UTD'S bench ? And how many wobblers would Fergy tolerate ?

Having said that , a money + Saha deal would be ok if the worst came to the worst ....

That's exactly what I was thinking (Saha)

I don't think Man Utd will come in for him though, and I can't imagine we would put another release clause in for our best striker.

I wonder if Hughes could get the best out of Smith. I always want to see him play upfront to see if he can recapture his best form.

Edited by BuckyRover

Correct. In fact I bet in situations like this the player and his agent probably set the amount. It wouldn't even suprise me to find that the player also has a %age of the 'profit' built into his contract. I would certainly angle for that if I were a players agent on the basis that it's a win win situation for all. Please rem not to confuse the business of professional football with sport!

But look at it positively. If the release clause is triggered it means they have done well for us, in other words a release clause is an incentive and far more productive than a straight forward contract that attracts players with attitudes like of Dahlin, Amoruso, Sukor, Baggio etc etc etc ... and we've had bloody loads.

The important bit is that Sparky has to insist privately that he is informed asap that a player is likely to move and then he can line up the next Gudjonnsen / Mido / a n other before the deadline blocks transfers. The sh1t in the past was simply caused by poor managers not finding adequate replacements for the likes of Shearer, Duff, Le saux etc. Given some imagination when Shearer went we were still basically a top team and classed as big hitters so Hughes might well have brought in Thierry Henry from Monaco! Who would have cared about Newcastle then?

This mboard was in a state of suicidal angst when Bellamy was sold. There was an almost audible gnashing of teeth and rending of clothes BUT Hughes more than adequately replaced him didnt he?

I wonder if Hughes could get the best out of Smith. I always want to see him play upfront to see if he can recapture his best form.

Smith? Always strikes me as a useful player who has never become top drawer because he is simply not good enough in any one particuler position.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.