BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Watford 2-1 Rovers

Ozz

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a dreadful performance. The first half in particular, all Watford did was pump long balls and throws into the box and we dealt with it like a bunch of shy kids!

Second half we actually came out quite good and deserved to get a goal. But then it all went pear shaped.

Mokoena is one of the worst midfielders I've ever seen. Absolutely aweful.

I also thought Nonda was poor and should have won us the game in the second half.

Terrible game. I'm almost too annoyed to talk about it. Just when we thought the night couldn't get any worse, Sav breaks a leg. Brilliant.

Agree with most of what's been said regarding the performance. We were shocking. Mokoena was awful (again), Nonda just doesn't look like he can do it (never mind want to) and the full backs got a roasting in the first half (must say they improved in the second though).

It's just so frustrating to get ourselves in a position where we look like we can kick on for Europe again but fail to take full advantage. I do worry about us without Sav in the team. He sets the tempo. I can see us doing ok at home with a midfield of Pedersen, Tugay, Dunn and Bentley (especially with our remaining games) but it's far too lightweight away from home. We need an athletic, defensive midfielder in - one that can actually pass the ball too... so that rules out Mokoena.

Also need Roberts' pace in attack. We sadly lack the ability to turn defences and provide an outlet away from home.

AND how bloody cold was it!?! I've never been so cold in an English ground (if you can call it that).

Anyway, on we go. With our record of having lost every game in London this season, at least our next two are nowhere near the capital. Oh, hang on....

Defeat has proved hard to take in this one. It must be the combination of playing awful and losing our most influential player. Mind you we did have a few chances.

I thought we phyiscally did not get stuck in against Watford and we seem to struggle to battle against the lower teams. Considering the axe is meant to be our midfield minder or enforcer, he continously fails to do both. Nonda has to realise he has to move a bit more and try to make his own luck when things are not going our way.

Did anyone else see Nonda grab the ball and refuse to give it away when we had a free kick near their goal - he seemed to want to take it.

Savage is too important to us as a team for us not to replace him, with that being either a loan signing or a permanent one. And I am pretty sure Hughes is of the same opinion.

I can only second that comment,he deserves much more from the board. :angry:

Both Hughes and the board deserve much more from the Blackburn stay away public...... but thats a debate on another thread altogether.

It's a common misperception that Mokoena is a defensive midfielder. He can't even defend.

It's a common misconception that 'misperception' is actually a word tcj! :)

Both Hughes and the board deserve much more from the Blackburn stay away public...... but thats a debate on another thread altogether.

Absolutely spot on, why people think we should be constantly spoon fed success is just typical of the Blackburn public.

I used to believe that many will regret not going when times are good, but I now believe many just don't give a toss either way.

I was one of the brave and hardy 5-600 Rovers fans who made the journey down in freezing conditions. Coming back on the 22.20 service from Watford up North, allowed me time to think about that disgraceful effort by our players. :(

Firstly, before i launch into the Rovers, i would like to say that Watford are without doubt the worst prem side i have ever seen. They make sunderland (of last year) look like arsenal at their free-flowing best! All they did when the ball was with their players was lump it as far down the field as possible. It was a joke at times, Bolton are called a long ball team, but are nothing compared to that lot!

Anyways, onto the Rovers. Although we are missing the spine of our team, only mgp, Brad and Bentley deserve to take anything out of this game. The rest of the team need to look at themselves, not for the performance but for the effort put into the game. Was it good enough? I dont mind Nonda and McCarthy strolling back to the halfway line after being offside, if they stick 1 on 1's away. However, if you dont, youd better at least work hard to earn back so credit imo. Savage and the axe together is a joke in the centre midfield, both sideways or backward pass men, no creativity whatsoever. We certainly need more in that centre midfield area. Emerton's og was ridiculus, but i guess that happens once in a while our centre backs are too slow and do not command the box. We need Nelsen back pronto!

All in all, i have no idea how we managed to loose to that lot. We carved them open after 40 seconds and should have been looking to a comfortable win. Luton on sat, our team has the chance to re-pay those magnificent fans who travelled to Watford with a better peformance and victory. Keep the faith :rover:

Possibly worst rovers performance Ive seen in a long time. They didn't look interested from the moment the game started. Thought there were more rovers fans then whats been stated on this thread, my watford fan mate reckoned about a 1000. Thought the riverside was cold bought not a patch on vicarage road! On positive note was good to go to a ground which is so close to the town centre. Went to some good boozers before hand.

Play like that saturday and its goodbye fa cup

also my mother has a passive interest in football and rovers but made an interesting observation. She reckons we play better away when were in the red away kit. On recent results, has she got a point?!

What a dreadful performance. The first half in particular, all Watford did was pump long balls and throws into the box and we dealt with it like a bunch of shy kids!

Second half we actually came out quite good and deserved to get a goal. But then it all went pear shaped.

Mokoena is one of the worst midfielders I've ever seen. Absolutely aweful.

I also thought Nonda was poor and should have won us the game in the second half.

my thoughts exactly.

nonda had the mobility, anticipating and shooting boots of a cardboard cut-out.

jay mc, henchoz and emerton were shocking.

having a 'foetus' as a referee didn't help either, they were given every free-kick - and the sav tackle looked a bad challenge (not seen it on tv yet).

although, I should be used to us conceding from set-pieces and losing to relegation bankers, but I've still not got over it.

I feared the worst, when watford fans kept coming up to me in the pub - saying they expected us to "hammer them."

typical rovers.

It's a common misconception that 'misperception' is actually a word tcj! :)

Might it be a colloquialism, thenob? ;)

They didn't look interested from the moment the game started.

also my mother has a passive interest in football and rovers but made an interesting observation. She reckons we play better away when were in the red away kit. On recent results, has she got a point?!

To me this is the most worrying rather than the defeat itself.

Its happened a few times this season where hardly any of the team turn up - now in Football as everybody knows, every now and again maybe one or two players have a bad game (obviously as long as its not the same players) which is acceptable, but when most of the team doesn't turn up questions need to be asked... especially like us where we have been playing fairly well.

funnily enough on a similar note I have mentioned this when we have played in Europe and how when teams play in red they do well ( inc ourselves) at Ewood

I know this is painful but I've just looked at the Watford match stats.

Rovers had an incredible 23 attempts on goal yet only 3 were on target.

Numbers that are very reminiscent of the season's start when we could not get the thing accurately on goal. In comparisson, during the recent run of wins, a remarkably high proportion of our attempts were goal-bound.

Hopefully, Sparky and Bowen has had them doing target practise since Tuesday.

I know this is painful but I've just looked at the Watford match stats.

Rovers had an incredible 23 attempts on goal yet only 3 were on target.

Numbers that are very reminiscent of the season's start when we could not get the thing accurately on goal. In comparisson, during the recent run of wins, a remarkably high proportion of our attempts were goal-bound.

Hopefully, Sparky and Bowen has had them doing target practise since Tuesday.

I only saw extanded highlights on the telly, but Nonda couldn't hit a barn door and his first touch was awful.

It might have been everyone, though!

How Nonda is ahead of Derbyshire in the forward stakes is quite incredible .

I have been thinking about this too. I think Matty is very effective from the bench and should continue to be used in this way in PL.

I would start both Nonda and Derbyshire tomorrow. Nonda needs a goal after Tuesday nights showing - tomorrow represents a realistic opportunity for him to regain some confidence.

Regardless of how many chances Nonda has missed there is something about him I like. I think he's raw but one day he will piece everything together and be unstoppable - probably against someone like Chelsea.

How Nonda is ahead of Derbyshire in the forward stakes is quite incredible .

Because Nonda has a physical presence about him. Nonda may have been crap on Wednesday, but he was decent at City and, admittedly occasionally, can look the part. Derbyshire has only really looked effective coming on late in games when he's up against tired opposition. Derbs needs to put on a bit of muscle before he's worthy of starting.

Anyway, Roberts should be back soon. He's better than both of them combined.

Because Nonda has a physical presence about him. Nonda may have been crap on Wednesday, but he was decent at City and, admittedly occasionally, can look the part. Derbyshire has only really looked effective coming on late in games when he's up against tired opposition. Derbs needs to put on a bit of muscle before he's worthy of starting.

Anyway, Roberts should be back soon. He's better than both of them combined.

Agreed, Derbs is what I call an "impact player", where his fresh legs will work well against a team thats stretched in the last 20 minutes and he runs at a tired defence. Kind of like what Aaron Lennon did for England when he replaced Beckham agains Portugal.

Neither player will make as much of an impression when starting, as its likely they would tire before the defenders, but both will improve over time.

Archived