BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stop! Sambatime.

dj54nna

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I find myseld really pleased about this even though I shouldnt - as I have never seen him play

No, I have never seen him kick a ball so can someone tell me why the thought of this guy stood next to Nelson in our defence for the second part of our season fills me with joy.

Time will tell and hopefully I dont come back and quote myself in a month and say - what have we done signing this big plank.

Good Luck Samba lad and welcome to Rovers :rover:

By the size of him it looks like he'll be able to fill any gap!

I think it's best if we let him play wherever he wants to. I wouldn't want to be the one to tell him he can't play left midfield if that's where he wants to go. :D

Look I don't want anyone to get carried away by this lad (although with his size it would surely be easy for him to do). I have a cunning plan to avoid this, read carefully what I am about to write...

M A R T I N

T A Y L O R

if he's rubbish we could always lend him to local theatre companies to play the giant in jack and the beanstalk, or then again maybe as the beanstalk itself.

...dont mind me... :huh:

Chuck him up front and see if he is as effective as Crouch!!!!!

Hertha Berlin have actually done that on occasions.

Samba summary from a Hertha Berlin fan on official board:

hello from Berlin. I'm a Hertha BSC supporter and was looking around for news about Samba's England trial und so I ended up here if my english contains some faults blame my teachers

I read that some of you had questions about the player, so here is a little round-up: Chris joined our reserve team in 2004 and became an important part of the team that reached rank 5 or 6 of the third german league that season. So in 2005 he was pulled to the first team.

There he became something like a running joke, as he always came in for the last 10 or 15 minutes on a usually undefined position (defensive midfield, striker or whatever) which was a little strange, because we all were told he was a defender.

When he finally played in the defense (because of many injuries and red cards for others), he turned out as psychically not ready for the first league. But in my opinion this has changed during the current season. He was in the squad for UI- and Uefa-Cup in summer 2006 and did very well. (this also means he should not be allowed to play for blackburn in that competition) But during the current season, he became no chance at all, exept these 10-minutes-playtime-things. So it's a logic step for him to look for a club where he can play regularly. At Hertha BSC, I don't see that chance. He would have to be better than Joe Simunic (croatian international) and Arne Friedrich (german international) in the defense, and right behind him there are several young players rising from the academy.

Samba is, as you already have seen, a very big and strong player. He is also very fast, good in head playing and plays precise long passes. I think he can make it in England, if he is given a little time, as he could have been making it in our team, if he would have been given the chance. So I only hope the transfer fee will be fairly high that we can strengthen our team with it on other positions

The main opinion amongst Hertha supporters is not "we lose a central player of the team" but "we lose a big talent"

The fact he's fast and apparently a good passer make me very positive about this one.

Just as "big doesn't always mean beautiful" - it's also true that big doesn't always mean good on the football pitch. He's 6ft 5in and built like the brick house, but can he actually play? We won't know that for sure until he steps onto the pitch for Rovers.

To the optimists who feel that Sparky's judgement is always right, I'd suggest that in the case of another African - Mokoena - Hughes's judgement has sometimes been slightly questionable.

I don't want to upset the PC brigade, but I must admit that if Mr Samba wasn't smiling in the picture below, I would have struggled to see him properly in the picture. Maybe it's just my eyesight that's going.... :ph34r:

IPB Image

don't want to upset the PC brigade, but I must admit that if Mr Samba wasn't smiling in the picture below, I would have struggled to see him properly in the picture. Maybe it's just my eyesight that's going.... :ph34r:

IPB Image

Was thinking just that mate, but though, I can't say that can I??

Looks a strong, powerful player, hopefully a very good athelete. Having someone of huge presence to go alongside Nelly at the back would make us a strong outfit. Well even if he's not upto scratch, he has to be better than Henchoz.

Not to be pessimistic or anything (Very fast from someone so big is very intriguing), but I recall Fulham having a very tall back four (Dunno if they've changed that at all), and them being amongst the worst in the league. Looking forward to seeing him play though. But crucially...

Anybody know the fee? Or heard anything about that?

I'm glad we've signed him, I could see him being another bargin signing from Hughes to go with Ryan Nelsen. He certainly has the height to be a dominating defender, hopefully he has the strength and mean streak that you also need. He'll definately be an option at set pieces.

Archived