BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stop! Sambatime.

dj54nna

I was very nervous watching him at times - but I think he'll be a good signing - just needs time to settle. Once Gamst starts practicising his corners as much as his free-kicks - you'd expect him to get amongst the goals too.

What did Sparky mean in the Match of the Day interview , when asked about Pedersen "he still makes him nervous when taking corners" (words to that affect.)

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think 'frustrated' was the word he used.

Why? Because they're crap.

Fustrated was the word, top marks for observation.

Crap, i don't thnk so,I'm always excited when Peders takes a corner kick,there's not many that can score from that position.Like the one that hit the woodwork against Man United,if that had gone in at 0-0 , i think we would of held on for a win.

I hope he keeps taking them,I've total faith in the guy.

Not many can score from that position, and neither can Pedersen. Hit them hard and with swerve, but hit them towards a teammate please.

Seconded ... having a shot from a corner is a waste in my opinion.

As regards Samba, all I got to see was the 3 minute motd round-up on which defenders have no chance of looking anything but inept as all you see are the goals. I thought he could have done a bit more to stop Stead scoring and I logged on here on sunday morning expecting people to be slating him. Was glad hear quite the opposite review of his performance from most posters though, I'd love him to do well as his height and heading ability could be potentially be a great weapon at both ends.

but hit them towards a teammate please.

Especially the one we just got!!!

Much to the amusement of those around me (inc Bobski Fleming) in the BB End loser on Saturday I tried to make the point of doing this but just so much so as made myself look a fool because a I ranted and forgot a word for small person :wstu::P

Fustrated was the word, top marks for observation.

Crap, i don't thnk so,I'm always excited when Peders takes a corner kick,there's not many that can score from that position.Like the one that hit the woodwork against Man United,if that had gone in at 0-0 , i think we would of held on for a win.

I hope he keeps taking them,I've total faith in the guy.

That's the point though. He has taken hundreds of free kicks for us and has probably tried to score on at least 50% of them, but the closest thing to a goal we have had from it is hitting the crossbar once (I'm pretty sure) againt United. It obviously isn't a tactic that works and now that we have Samba, Nelsen and Roberts back in the side we should take advantage of it.

That's the point though. He has taken hundreds of free kicks for us and has probably tried to score on at least 50% of them, but the closest thing to a goal we have had from it is hitting the crossbar once (I'm pretty sure) againt United. It obviously isn't a tactic that works and now that we have Samba, Nelsen and Roberts back in the side we should take advantage of it.

I think to say he has tried to score from 50% is a little OTT. Personally I think it is a good tactic - as the goal keeper is never quite certain whether he can come off his line or not. But as you say - the attempts have to be varied to make them effective. I am absolutely convinced that MGP will score direct from a corner one day - the guy has scored some of the best goals since Shearer was in blue & white - so why not.

On a slightly different - but related subject - am I the only one excited about our midfield goal scoring potential ? MGP, Bentley and Dunn - we can score goals from anywhere.

I was thinking the same! Bentley's delivery is generally excellent, it would seem to make sense on the face of it. At least vary the corner takers at times.

The "shots" direct from corners have been effective, and we have scored more than once from them, because if anyone gets a touch, they tend to be heading towards goal from short range. Comments here are correct, though, he needs to vary them more. He can hit with his left and right feet, so it shouldn't be such a problem, especially those ridiculously low efforts that the opposition love...

I think to say he has tried to score from 50% is a little OTT. Personally I think it is a good tactic - as the goal keeper is never quite certain whether he can come off his line or not. But as you say - the attempts have to be varied to make them effective. I am absolutely convinced that MGP will score direct from a corner one day

I think it's a shocking tactic. He's been trying for 3 years and wasted a huge number of corner kicks as a result.

When Hughes said on MOTD that MGP's corner taking "frustrates" him sometimes, I got off the sofa and danced around the room singing "Hallelujah!!!!"

MGP is clearly hugely talented with a dead ball - if he uses that talent properly when taking corners then Rovers have an awesome weapon, especially now with the subject of this thread to aim for.

I ws thinking why not let Bentley take the corners? Not so much as he is better than MGP but rather Pedersen is arguably the best header of the ball we have at the club. Getting him in the box would make sense.

thats a tidy post, pedersen leaps like a salmon and can certainly head the ball as some of his recent goals have showed. :brfc:

So that's your new 'fairplay' is it? :rolleyes:

:lol:

fairplay: is a word for an achievement like " fairplay to gamst with his 2 goals on Saturday" or you could use it in a sentence like " fairplay polls refereeing was shocking against us." it's maybe a different word for honestly.

tidy: is used alot in wales, it's another word for good, smart or ok. i could say "how are you?" you could say "alright thanks buddy" and i would say "tidy".

a fit girl could walk by and if she was hot(good looking), i'd say she's "tidy."

i hope my summary is a benefit to you all :blink:

:lol:

fairplay: is a word for an achievement like " fairplay to gamst with his 2 goals on Saturday" or you could use it in a sentence like " fairplay polls refereeing was shocking against us." it's maybe a different word for honestly.

tidy: is used alot in wales, it's another word for good, smart or ok. i could say "how are you?" you could say "alright thanks buddy" and i would say "tidy".

a fit girl could walk by and if she was hot(good looking), i'd say she's "tidy."

i hope my summary is a benefit to you all :blink:

I blame the government, for teaching Welsh in the schools there ... look what it's come to!

Gamst is good at free kicks. His corners are rubbish. They either don't clear the first man or clear the last man (on the rare occasions they get any height at all.) Recently they have mostly ended up at knee height for the first defender.

Oh. and I was saying Hallelujah too when Hughes finally noticed Gamst was crap at corners.

exactly jan, i agree. i think morten take his corners like he does his free kicks, in that he trys to put so much whip when he strikes the ball, and because it has a lot further to travel, it always falls at the feet or there abouts of the first defender.

variety wouldn't go a miss either, maybe play the ball short to the full back or something, it would be a more measured cross, maybe.

That's the strange bit, because he has all the ability needed to hit some really dangerous corners. I remember watching Sinisa Mihajlovic pounding them in for Lazio late 90's, in 200 miles per hour and a fantastic late dip to destroy quite a few braincells on someone around the six yard box in the centre of the area. Gamst doesn't use the same techique as much, but he can swerve the ball around the first defender and away from the goalkeeper, where our forwardrunning tall players ideally should be.

There are very few players who can deliver a corner with pace and swerve, unfortunately Pedersen isn't one. We should be concentrating on putting the ball into the right area rather than worrying about how it gets there.

Does anyone remember how Gary McAllister used to take corners for Liverpool? They were almost chipped, going slow and straight into the area, but he could pick out the intended man which meant they scored a lot from corners. We'd be far better off trying to pick out Nelsen or Samba with a precise ball than having Pedersen belt it and hoping someone can get on the end of it (or worse, hoping he'll score).

Nelsen isn't the best header of the ball though, at least he missed quite a few last season. I remember we were discussing how many goals he could've scored if he had the same "eye for goal" as John Terry.

I agree with you by the way, loose corners are underrated - we've never been afraid of a scrap either.

There are very few players who can deliver a corner with pace and swerve, unfortunately Pedersen isn't one. We should be concentrating on putting the ball into the right area rather than worrying about how it gets there.

I agree with every cell in my brain. His corners have been the worst part of following Rovers the last couple of years in my opinion. I would think we are one of the absolute worst teams from corners, and I think for the most part MGP is to blame.

Archived