BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stop! Sambatime.

dj54nna

One of the main reasons our defence has been so good recently is that we're playing Mokoena.

Agreed to a certain extent. Conversely imo the timing of Tugays drop in form is linked to Savs broken leg and his forced midfield pairing with the Axe.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Best corner taker I ever saw was Bobby charlton. The corner used to appear to hang in the air waiting to be headed. Never seen anyone else get close to that standard.

Disagree with that. That type of hanging corner makes it very difficult to head the ball with enough power to beat a decent keeper. It's only purpose is to knock the ball long to the back post for some big guy (Samba?) to head down into the area.

I rem us being fairly succesful in the 80's with near post corners flicked on across the 6 yd line. imo Peds deliveries would suit that tactic with a player in front of the near post and Samba stood in front of the keeper blocking his vision and with a couple of team mates charging in on the back post. Samba positioning himself on the pen spot where we rarely hit a corner to has been my only disappointment with him since his arrival.

One of the main reasons our defence has been so good recently is that we're playing Mokoena.

I think that's doing a great dis-service to the defence.

Whilst Mokoena's performances have undoubtedly improved markedly during the last couple of games, Samba, Nelsen and Warnock have all been individually playing out of their skins at some point or another. And Emerton has been generally fairly sound.

Don't think you can put that down to Mokoena necessarily. Whether or not the defence feel more confident playing behind him or not I don't know. But I'd have thought they would feel more confident playing behind Savage.

I think that's doing a great dis-service to the defence.

Whilst Mokoena's performances have undoubtedly improved markedly during the last couple of games, Samba, Nelsen and Warnock have all been individually playing out of their skins at some point or another. And Emerton has been generally fairly sound.

Don't think you can put that down to Mokoena necessarily. Whether or not the defence feel more confident playing behind him or not I don't know. But I'd have thought they would feel more confident playing behind Savage.

In fairness the Axe does allow less space behind him that Sav does. Prob because the axe knows that it is just about pointless him going forward into the attack.

But I'd have thought they would feel more confident playing behind Savage.

I'm sure they feel more confident playing behind Mokoena. As Theno says, Mokoena plays just in front of the back 4 usually and is far more disciplined than Savage. He's also better in the air than Savage.

That said, I'd prefer to play Savage as he gives us more going forward but, in his absence, Mokoena's doing a fine job.

Since Samba came off the bench against Luton - he's played 526 minutes for us - in which time we've conceded just 4 goals. Nelsen has played 790 minutes since his return - conceding 8 goals. I know it's only early days - but it's looking the best centre-half pairing we've had since Hendry/Berg - dare I say it - even better than that.

Since Samba came off the bench against Luton - he's played 526 minutes for us - in which time we've conceded just 4 goals. Nelsen has played 790 minutes since his return - conceding 8 goals. I know it's only early days - but it's looking the best centre-half pairing we've had since Hendry/Berg - dare I say it - even better than that.

Time to be giving Samba a new contract methinks.

Samba's also instantly got up to Premiership pace. Compare him to big money defenders like Patrice Evra or (less money) our own Ooareyer, who looked like puddings for their first few games.

So many new signings this season, yet he has to be in the hunt for best newcomer (if there is such a thing).

Simon :brfc:

Samba's also instantly got up to Premiership pace. Compare him to big money defenders like Patrice Evra or (less money) our own Ooareyer, who looked like puddings for their first few games.

So many new signings this season, yet he has to be in the hunt for best newcomer (if there is such a thing).

Simon :brfc:

Pound for pound, I think Samba is Mark Hughes' best signing. I have been so impressed with him. He's composed, he's quick, the way he times challenges is awesome, he's got two good feet, he can run with the ball. How on earth did we get him for so little cash??

I'm quite sure that the staff will be working on turning that height into a bigger threat at the other end of the pitch too - I think we've got a real cult hero in the making - and hopefully this cup run will help to persuade him that Ewood is the place to stay. Because the vultures will be circling for sure.

He seems to have every single attribute needed to be a top defender, one can only imagine what that coaching staff at Hertha must have been thinking to have him in the reserves.

The only couple of faults that seem to rear their head every so often are being slightly too casual on the ball and possibly not being entirely certain in a positional sense. Vassell should have been through one on one today but for an incorrect linesman flag, Samba ran back with him when the rest of the defence held their line. These are incredibly minor things at this stage in his career though, this could be a bit premature but I wouldn't be surprised if Nelsen wasn't the best defender at this club for much longer.

Just a thought on how we came to be aware of him, could Nonda possibly have known something about him?

He seems to have every single attribute needed to be a top defender, one can only imagine what that coaching staff at Hertha must have been thinking to have him in the reserves.

The only couple of faults that seem to rear their head every so often are being slightly too casual on the ball and possibly not being entirely certain in a positional sense. Vassell should have been through one on one today but for an incorrect linesman flag, Samba ran back with him when the rest of the defence held their line. These are incredibly minor things at this stage in his career though, this could be a bit premature but I wouldn't be surprised if Nelsen wasn't the best defender at this club for much longer.

Just a thought on how we came to be aware of him, could Nonda possibly have known something about him?

I too can't understand how we got him for so cheap! Seems so composed on the ball, laid back even. Will be interesting to see how he does at the theater of nightmares. Him and Nelsen are a partnership as good as May and Hendry. It was nice to see them passing the ball around the back four today like milan or something, though it did end up breaking down. I agree with ne of the above posts about him learning to be more of an attacking threat, though he seems almost 'crouch-like' in the way he seems better with his feet than his head, considering how tall he is.

B)-->

QUOTE(Ste B @ Mar 11 2007, 23:45 ) 497720[/snapback]
Who the hell is doing the scouting for us nowadays

Samba, Nelsen, Moko for a combined 400k !!!!

I think it's more like 700k (300k for Axe, 400k for Samba). However, still not much. (I still harbour doubts about Mokoena but I will have to soon admit that he can do a job as a squad player and I was wholly wrong about him being a total waste of space).

From what I've heard, we have those pestilential agents to thank for the above signings and NOT some super-scout of the Darracott mould.

With Moko and Nelsen, Rovers got calls from their respective agents that they were available. Nelsen was on a free, so was available to come on trial (after being rejected by Curbishley's Charlton) and Genk were happy for Moko to come here on trial because he was a mere squad player for them.

I suspect the same will have been the case for Samba because he was not a regular for Hertha, so unless we had some obscure scout attending Hertha reserve games, I doubt the club would've known how good he was before he came on trial.

Ste B asked the question, so I answered it. If you find such behaviour outrageous, please seek help.

What is wrong with giving a bit of credit to Mark Hughes, his staff and the club? Your assertion that the signings were down to agents may or may not be true. If it is do you imagine that Rovers were the only club approached? The staff obviously saw something that was missed by other clubs so a bit of credit where it's due eh?

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ste B @ Mar 11 2007, 23:45 ) 497720[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Who the hell is doing the scouting for us nowadays

Samba, Nelsen, Moko for a combined 400k !!!!

I think it's more like 700k (300k for Axe, 400k for Samba). However, still not much. (I still harbour doubts about Mokoena but I will have to soon admit that he can do a job as a squad player and I was wholly wrong about him being a total waste of space).

From what I've heard, we have those pestilential agents to thank for the above signings and NOT some super-scout of the Darracott mould.

With Moko and Nelsen, Rovers got calls from their respective agents that they were available. Nelsen was on a free, so was available to come on trial (after being rejected by Curbishley's Charlton) and Genk were happy for Moko to come here on trial because he was a mere squad player for them.

I suspect the same will have been the case for Samba because he was not a regular for Hertha, so unless we had some obscure scout attending Hertha reserve games, I doubt the club would've known how good he was before he came on trial.

The Rovers have been offered well over 1,000 players by agents since Mark Hughes was appointed.

The fact that the club have only selected perhaps 20 for serious evaluation at trial and from those the players we have signed shows that the club has seriously good intelligence and has a lot of people with good footballing eyes watching games and training sessions all over the place.

I think rover6's answer is naive in the extreme.

Since Samba came off the bench against Luton - he's played 526 minutes for us - in which time we've conceded just 4 goals.

That's now 616 minutes conceding just 4 goals.

Which is the best pairing:

Samba/Nelsen - 0.4m

Ferdinand/Vidic - 37m

Carvalho/Terry - 19.85m

Agger/Carragher - 5.8m

I wouldn't swap our two for any of the others. If you took into account the sort of wages Terry and co are on too - I'm sure we're making a saving there aswell.

Archived