BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stop! Sambatime.

dj54nna

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great News! He's been an absolute bargain - real quality. I was expecting a giant donkey when we bought him - but he's only going to get better and better.

Samba 23

Santa Cruz 26

Bentley 23

Warnock 25

Reid 26

Derbyshire 21

Hughes has managed to get together the core of a team that could potentially play together for years. Can you imagine how much we'd have to pay for the 6 players above at todays prices?

This is genuinely excellent news as he's made the place in the starting line-up his own, he's great supporting the team going forward, opposition defenders are drawn to him at corners creating space for others and he's only 23! This contract should see him reaching professional maturity in his time at Ewood, or as a consolation if he does go to another team we should get a decent price for him. In the meantime, we've got years to enjoy watching him and Nelsen running the show at the back and he's going to be a bigger (literally and figuratively) than Colin Hendry. All the kids will be wearing Samba shirts next season.

How much did we pay? Something like £350,000 or thereabouts. Either Hughes is a genius or those lads at Hertha are a set of mugs. Compare Samba's impact to that of other defenders brought in over the last few years to the Premier League who have been transferred for huge sums and haven't been able to cut it.

Brilliant piece of business to sign the lad, even better to keep him for years to come.

Great News! He's been an absolute bargain - real quality. I was expecting a giant donkey when we bought him - but he's only going to get better and better.

Samba 23

Santa Cruz 26

Bentley 23

Warnock 25

Reid 26

Derbyshire 21

Hughes has managed to get together the core of a team that could potentially play together for years. Can you imagine how much we'd have to pay for the 6 players above at todays prices?

Not only those guys MGP is still a relative youngster (interesting how he has dropped out of the list of stars), Benni has another three years at the very top as a striker, Dunn and Bert are both 28 (I think), then there are Nelsen and Zura who can look forwards to many years as top defenders as well.

It all adds up to the Rovers not having just one vulnerable transfer target (such as Shorey at Reading), but at least half the team are looking like they will have the press whittering about transfers away by the time they sober up from Christmas. Which can only mean that a lot of our players are CL standard.

Anyway brilliant brilliant news about Christopher Samba.

Anyone else spot what happened to Tugay mid bow in front of the JW stand?

His first contribution in a Rovers shirt, in the Cup against Luton last season, was a ball across the back four that was intercepted, or almost intercepted by a Luton striker (can't remember which) and a complete air-shot in the lead-up to MGP's goal.

It was hardly an auspicious start.

But, since then the guy has hardly set a foot wrong - in every sense of the word he is immense - and he's now ours for the forseeable.

Congratulations big man, you fully deserve the new contract, and well done Mr Williams for tying him to the club - excellent news for every Rovers fan.

Samba 23

Santa Cruz 26

Bentley 23

Warnock 25

Reid 26

Derbyshire 21

No but I'll have a go!

Samba £10m

Santa Cruz £15m

Bentley £15m

Warnock £8m

Reid £6m

Derbyshire £7m

TOTAL £61m

No but I'll have a go!

Samba £10m

Santa Cruz £15m

Bentley £15m

Warnock £8m

Reid £6m

Derbyshire £7m

TOTAL £61m

gotta say i disagree with those. samba has been brilliant but he's no way a 10 million defender yet, and santa cruz has looked really impressive but to say he's worth anywhere near 15 million yet is laughable. both could prove to be one day, potentially...

Samba £6m

Santa Cruz £8m

Bentley £11m

Warnock £4.5m

Reid £4m (just been injured)

Derbyshire £5.5m

total 39 million

still impressive though.

I do think these arguments about valuation are hilariously ill-informed. My contributions as well.

If you look at the prices paid for Darren Bent, Michael Chopra, Dave Nugent and Yakubu this summer you can put a nought on the end of this first figure you think of.

Bet he wouldn't have any problems getting in the French squad (or first XI?) if he'd rejected playing for DR Congo!

Imagine that, a Rovers player in the French starting XI. Maybe then some of my mates would believe the hype.

gotta say i disagree with those. samba has been brilliant but he's no way a 10 million defender yet, and santa cruz has looked really impressive but to say he's worth anywhere near 15 million yet is laughable. both could prove to be one day, potentially...

Samba £6m

Santa Cruz £8m

Bentley £11m

Warnock £4.5m

Reid £4m (just been injured)

Derbyshire £5.5m

total 39 million

still impressive though.

If we sold Samba for 6 million I would actually break down in tears, and organise a protest outside Ewood. Anything less than 10 million and we're just stupid. Same with Bentley for 11m. I'd be very unhappy if we sold Bentley for 15 million frankly, when Darren Bent can be shipped around for 16.5 million. The other pricings I agree with more or less. Although I'd expect us to hold out for a bit more simply because we don't need to sell and it risks unbalancing the team to have to replace such players.

people talk about the likes of darren bent, but what of the prices of benjani, adebayor, elano, utaka and all the other players that are looking like good deals too? rovers arent the only side that make good deals although we seem to be making more of a habit of it than most. you cant just judge the market by the most extravagant transfers. right now samba is 6 million i'd say and rising. his profile isnt high enough for it to be higher, we know he's as good as many defenders who would fetch twice as much but a player's reputation and profile is a big part of the value too. and right now samba's isnt that high, although it will be soon enough i'm sure.

Archived