BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 2 - 1 Sheffield United

Hasta

Well done Rovers on the win! I didn't get any sort of coverage at all because I was out for my 21st birthday, so this makes a good birthday present! With the first 16 looking quite different to what it was only two weeks ago, it will be interesting to read through the pages when I get a chance.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great report Scotty. Spot on about Mokoena, who is not as bad as the press he gets.

Bentley was outstanding and will be snapped up by one of the top teams if he continues to perform at this level. Pedersen has also proved that stikcing nwith a player during the lean times can pay off. Shame on those like rover6 who where calling for his replacement by Peter.

I have to say that the extent of the changes to the team must be having a huge impact, especially in defence. And while Warnock lookmed a little subdued, Samba, improving as the game went on reminded me of big Col for his commitment and attitude.

A very very poor turn out from the Rovers' fans though. And as others have suggested, I'm not sure reductions in the price of tickets will have a significant impact.

Entertainment/highlights:

Emerton's run, step-overs and cross for the first goal

Pedersen's header

Dunny's reception

Pedersen's free kick

Team comments:

Samba made a good home debut, hope he keeps it up

Unimpressed by Warnock, hope he can do much, much better

Bentley had a good game

With 5 new or returning players in the side we were bound to look disjointed

Crowd - not surprised by lack of interest

Mokoena is not as bad as people make out, I'm getting really tired of the bloke who sits next to me moaning about him non-stop............still we like a good scapegoat at Ewood.

Shame on those like rover6 who where calling for his replacement by Peter.

Shame on me for suggesting that a player who was out of form should be dropped to the bench? For some reason I'm not feeling any shame. I'm as glad as anyone that Gamst has recovered form after being a trenchant defender of him when people were really have a go - unjustifiably.

Paul, was your disappointment with Warnock anything to do with his distribution? Against Luton I did notice that the "Stig Inge Bjornebye" pass was used too often by Warnock. I mean, he is decent on the ball, so does he have to hoof the ball aimlessly upfield so often? I think that's nothing a stern word from Hughes won't resolve.

Paul, was your disappointment with Warnock anything to do with his distribution?

All I know about Warnock is what I've read on here, a few glimpses of the Luton match and the odd snippet from Liverpool games on the box. Overall I was expecting more from him, I felt he was largely anonymous (this was his home debut), I had the impression he was capable of surging runs with the ball. I don't think he went forward once? The only time I noticed him was when he was sent off. Now there is an arguement that when you don't notice a player it is a sign of a good, competent performance, I expected more based on the reports I've heard. Micky Gray might have contributed more to this game?

On the way to the game I was anticipating an exciting attacking left back. I didn't see anyhting to suggest this is what we have.

The thing is Rover6 that you always think you know better than the boss about players you've never or hardly seen play. On what we've seen Peter isn't fit to lace Gamst's boots.

So no matter how terribly Gamst plays, even if he sinks to the depths of the mythical Oumar Konde, no-one should cast any doubt over his starting position?

Sergio Peter can run at defenders, and on certain occasions, I think that attribute would be a welcome addition to the team. But there's no doubt that an on-form Gamst is one of the first names on the team-sheet.

I believe Konde played once for the Rovers so a poor comparison there.

In isolation I can understand championing Peter when Gamst was playing very poorly (although Bentley down the left is a better option). But in the context of hailing the lad who ended up at Blackpool (and was clearly not good enough), Taylor and I'm sure there are others, just smacks of attention seeking. Could be worse you could have preferred John Curtis to Lucash Neil.

All I know about Warnock is what I've read on here, a few glimpses of the Luton match and the odd snippet from Liverpool games on the box. Overall I was expecting more from him, I felt he was largely anonymous (this was his home debut), I had the impression he was capable of surging runs with the ball. I don't think he went forward once? The only time I noticed him was when he was sent off. Now there is an arguement that when you don't notice a player it is a sign of a good, competent performance, I expected more based on the reports I've heard. Micky Gray might have contributed more to this game?

On the way to the game I was anticipating an exciting attacking left back. I didn't see anyhting to suggest this is what we have.

He had a man in his face everytime he touched the ball. Sheffield Utd had done their homework - pressure our fullbacks and keep Tugay in check. Pedersen was anonymous today apart from the two goals, which meant Geary needed no help from Tonge who could push up on Warnock all day long. In contrast, Bentley was giving Kozluk a torrid time, so Quinn had to drop back and help an awful lot. This created space for Emerton to play.

Great result Rovers, thanks!

Some posts here suggest that the crowd was aweful, with 3700 SUFC fans there, leaving only 17000 blues. What do people expect? With respect to SU, they are not the best opposition to be seen at Ewood. People pick and choose their games now with the ticket prices.

Ther were no real reductions for adults for this game (only a few £15 sections), so the argument that ticket reduction dont work does not apply here.

The biggest disappointment for me is the lack of atmosphere at the game. I was sat in the riverside and could only hear the SU fans.

Apart from some inane drum banging, little or no singing came from the BB end.

I almost wish we could play all our games away from home - it seems that nearly everyone gets behind the team on foreign soil. Boro away in the cup last year had only about 400 there, but all 400 never stopped singing - even Sav mentioned this in his post match interview.

Its a mystery why, apart from the welcome return of Dunny, ther was little or no singing.

As for the game - predictable heavy handed stuff from SU, not helped by a poor ref performance.

MGP's winner in injury time was unstoppable. On form he is world class. Thanks MGP :)

Lawro could take a few tips off me.

World class defensive midfielder? A player with the technical ability of Nils Eric Johnasson cannot be placed in any worldly class unless we're speaking donkeys. I used to get a bit upset about the aged Garry Flitcroft's being out of his depth when being overrun in midfield. What was I thinking?

you really are a heroin injecting,crack smoking mushroom drinking muppet... :tu:

A welcome three points though as I thought it was scrappy and could have been mistaken for a league one game. Sheff utd brought us down to their level and the referee did not help. On the way home I heard their supporters on the radio complaining about the ref but I thought he gave just as much to them.

Atmosphere was a bit flat though credit sheff utd for their following.

We looked a bit edgy at the back early doors but I thought Samba put in a steady performance and Warnock was ok but like Paul would like to see a bit more.

Match was drifting for a draw and I felt we did steal the points however nice to see true class shine through in the form of 'Gamst'.

The return of Dunny was one of the highlights for me, a day I hoped to see but thought nevr would.

Yeah it was scrappy, not a classic but at least we got the three points :D

He had a man in his face everytime he touched the ball. Sheffield Utd had done their homework - pressure our fullbacks and keep Tugay in check. Pedersen was anonymous today apart from the two goals, which meant Geary needed no help from Tonge who could push up on Warnock all day long. In contrast, Bentley was giving Kozluk a torrid time, so Quinn had to drop back and help an awful lot. This created space for Emerton to play.

Exactly. Sheff Utd worked their butts off up the pitch to hamper and destroy our usual supply line. Credit to Sheff Utd but little credit to Paul for not giving Sheff any credit at all...... err did that read right? :blink:

btw I've defende Mokoena in the past but I have to disagree with Scotty and paul Mcgarry about him yesterday. He was bloody awful and in a game which should have suited his more robust talents he was very poor. The strange thing is that the transfer window is now closed we obviously needed a midfield growler and they are the players easiest to replace from the lower divisions.

• Backroom

Nice to see the Sheffield United fans have lost none of thier good humour and left Ewood Park in a nice orderly fashion... by hurling a traffic cone through the window at the Ewood working mens club!!! What a set of mongs they are !

Archived