BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 2 - 1 Sheffield United

Hasta

i am now starting to believe we can push on upwards now

but i dont want to think like that because i forget about our injuries

if we had a full squad id be 80% confident of finishing in top 7

Either of a fit Sav or Reid could have been enough SAS. BUt with neither I fear we will fall just short! :(

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either of a fit Sav or Reid could have been enough SAS. BUt with neither I fear we will fall just short! :(

exactly

i do not know why a loan midfielder was not brought in

surely there were options out there better than mokoena

Also have to agree with tnr about Mokoena, I thought he was atrocious once again yesterday and for me his only passable performance came against Luton. Against Premiership opposition he's looked completely out of his depth imo.

Overall though it was one of those days where the team as a whole put in an absolute stinker (the excellent Bentley and MGP excepted) yet we still came away with the three points. Who knows, at the end of the season we might be looking back on those points as the ones which secured us UEFA Cup qualification through League position again.

Other glimmers of encouragement came through Samba who started shakily but who improved steadily the longer the game went on, and Dunn who, despite clearly being short of full match fitness, managed to earn the match winning free kick.

Come on Rev, you are just copying my posts again and making them more eloquent :P;)

As for Warnock , as some have said Sheff U did their homework, however up until his ridiculous booking Warnock to me started off very well but after that you could tell in his play he was backing off alot . As for his second one - yes the ref had no choice but to me it was just a rush of blood from Warnock. To me you have to ask questions of the first two weak challenges put in(from Dunn and can't remember the othe)r, but due to his positioning I think he saw he was out of position and saw their player had ridden the two limp atatempts at tackling and just ran and lunged as he felt it was his job to stop the guy.

I said at half time , the ref would prove instrumental in getting somebody sent off - and this imo is exactly what happened.

For those of you defending Mokoena ... just look at the aspect that this was the type of game that he should have excelled in if anything is to go by, yet he failed miserably (especially that backwards header in the 2nd half)

As for McCarthy - is it just me but imo that's his 4th if not 5th bad game in a row - Arsenal/Citeh/ Luton /Watford/Chelsea - take your pick - is something amiss somewhere, is he carrying an injury??

As for McCarthy - is it just me but imo that's his 4th if not 5th bad game in a row - Arsenal/Citeh/ Luton /Watford/Chelsea - take your pick - is something amiss somewhere, is he carrying an injury??

He just doesn't like the cold weather :ph34r:

Derbs stole his form, so i guess beeni can have it back whilst he is injured :P

It's a real shame as if we had Savage, Reid and Ooijer available we would have an outstanding squad, probably the best allround set of players since 96 imo. All our attacking options actually offer real goal threat and our defenders are all decent. I can't really pick out a weak link save the much maligned Mokoena. Player for player I would say us, along with Spurs, Newcastle and (with their January buys) Aston Villa, have the best squads outside the top four. And we have the added advantage ofthe best manager imo, along wth O'Neill.

:rover: the whole ground rose to the 2nd coming,as for stead i was pleased he did not over celebrate his goal,and he looked the player he did when he 1st signed for us.

was quite pleased with samba,looked raw but full off promise,nelsen looks off the pace but more games will get him back to his superb best,dunny added what we do not have from centrel midfield,a man who can dribble. :brfc:

:rover: forgot to mention ooijer was in the box behind us and was going mental when pedersen scored the winner,makes a change from the rest who look like they are forced to watch :brfc:

Did anybody see Samba at the final whistle as well ... I thought he was going to explode with excitement as he certainly showed he enjoyed the victory.

:rover: forgot to mention ooijer was in the box behind us and was going mental when pedersen scored the winner,makes a change from the rest who look like they are forced to watch :brfc:

I love to hear about and see players who aren't playing going mental when their team scores, it shows that they care and that they want the team to do well. It's obvious I know, but it's still pretty cool.

Also, I 've seen a lot of criticism levelled at Mokoena and I know I've been one of those people taking part, but I don't know if people have already mentioned this, but Mokoena played his best for us when we were playing a 5 man midfield. This was back when we were struggling against relegation, but as we have improved under Hughes and are now playing more attacking football with a 4-4-2 formation, more is required of Mokoena when he plays in the midfield. When he was the anchor man, who's job was simply protecting the back for, kicking anything that moved and playing the ball simply he was very affective. Now that more is required of him with the formation that we play, we can see his weaknesses.

Why on earth was M People's awful record (What you you done today to feel proud?) blarring out of the tannoy when we scored yesterday? So unbelievably embarrassing and would be more suitable at a sales rep's motivation conference or stars on sunday!

Some idiot at the club obviously thinks that this is a good idea. Probably the same idiot that thinks a drummer is a good idea!

Just thank god it wasn't Mick Hucknell!

Zurab was the same earleir in the season when he was in Box 1 at the Blackburn End.

exactly

i do not know why a loan midfielder was not brought in

surely there were options out there better than mokoena

I can think of two big names that may have done a job from now to the end of the season, Parlour and Davids. Alternatively there must be loads of Carsley / Flitty types lurking within 1st Div / foreign team squads.

If I remember correctly, he was signed by Sparky in a huge double signing at the end of the transfer window in January 2004, along with Oysterhausen. They both moved on when we signed Tugay's Squirrel. Whatever happened to him, anyway??

Now that Stead officially has become a popular figure again, can someone please give me a brief summary of that whole Sealdinho-story? Never found that bloody thread, and it's doing my head in every time I see a comment..

Bob Fleming happend to that story. And Nuclersox. :)

The original 'Steadinho' monikor was from a very funny comic strip on the Huddlesfield town fansite. Really pleasing bit of football related madness, perhaps to my limited knowledge the most well done bit of fan stuff on t'internet.

HTFC world

Look under 'Toons' and go to the Huddersfield Town vs. Sunderland match at the bottom of the August '03 section. Genius. Still going now.

Any budding cartoonist at BRFCS?

I'd be amazed if the first thing that went through Jon Stead's mind after slotting through the equaliser was ...

.."I best not celebrate too much and show some respect to the fans and club that gave me so much."

I doubt Stead even bothers spending a millisecond thinking about the club after the way they dumped him.

In tonights LET

John Stead: " I didn't feel it was right to go mad here. Of course I was pleased to get the goal but I had a great relationship with the Blackburn fans when I was here and I didnt want to jeopardise that.

Looks like he spent longer than a millisceond thinking about it!

It's nice that Stead justified all the good-will feelings towards on him here. Even when he was terrible and again even when he left, he remained popular amongst the fans, I don't think there were many of us who didn't desperately want him to succeed.

I said at the time (and I still believe it now) that he will go on to be a good Premiership striker, however it is plain that the move away from us was the best for both parties at the time. I hope he does go on to have a successful career in the top flight, he's obviously one of the few genuinely likeable players in the game...just less goals against us please Jon.

Archived