BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 2 - 1 Sheffield United

Hasta

Exactly. Sheff Utd worked their butts off up the pitch to hamper and destroy our usual supply line. Credit to Sheff Utd but little credit to Paul for not giving Sheff any credit at all...... err did that read right? :blink:

Yes it read perfectly. I know what Sheff Utd did, I've seen Rovers do it from time to time. The point that many people on here are blind to is it is leading to an uncompetive, over-hyped, boring league which for an increasing number of fans is no longer worth watching. If you want to give credit to Sheffield United and their ilk for this please do so. There only interest is to secure a PL place and look forward to a £30-40m bonanza. We have 16 football clubs in the same position, it's obvious to anyone who thinks the game this approach is destroying modern football as a spectacle worth watching.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's obvious to anyone who thinks the game this approach is destroying modern football as a spectacle worth watching.

Lets kick Sheff U out of the league then, along with all the other non fashionable clubs. In which case we would also be joining them.

Yes it read perfectly. I know what Sheff Utd did, I've seen Rovers do it from time to time. The point that many people on here are blind to is it is leading to an uncompetive, over-hyped, boring league which for an increasing number of fans is no longer worth watching. If you want to give credit to Sheffield United and their ilk for this please do so. There only interest is to secure a PL place and look forward to a £30-40m bonanza. We have 16 football clubs in the same position, it's obvious to anyone who thinks the game this approach is destroying modern football as a spectacle worth watching.

I disagree - defensively it was a masterclass. It's the lack of flair they possessed in midfield and upfront that's destroying modern football as a spectacle. I have no problem with how Sheffield United defended (or at least the theory behind it - the cynical, niggly fouls are another matter). It's how they attacked that's the issue.

If thats what it takes for them to survive then fine. Not many complained when we were in relegation trouble and put 5 across midfield with Dickov up front every game.

where abouts is there keeper from?

Halifax

"A special mention to Jon Stead too, i thought he was celebrating afetr he scored but just watched the hilights and he did'nt.

Well played Steady! "

When I seen the goals on telly I was chuffed to see Stead's reaction. He deserves a lot of respect for that. It'd be too easy for him to start celebrating wildly in front of us, but he showed fantastic professional constraint. WELL DONE LAD! A lot of respect for you!

I remember Henrik Larsson reacting similarly when scoring for Barca against Celtic, but you get the type of player that would enjoy rubbing it in (like Bellamy). Top marks for you Jon! And good luck with the rest of your season.

IPB Image

:D

Where did you get this pic? I know the lad on the right - he's a member of the youth group I run. I think I might have to get it printed out a few hundred times and stuck up everywhere in time for Friday night!!!!!

:D:D

btw I've defende Mokoena in the past but I have to disagree with Scotty and paul Mcgarry about him yesterday. He was bloody awful and in a game which should have suited his more robust talents he was very poor.

Mokoena is no world beater and is never going to look good in the skills department stood alongside Tugay, even when he has an off day like yesterday, but he does add a presence we miss when he's not there. Good though Bentley played, Mokoena twice tidied up his mistakes in the first half, which could have been costly. It's not spectacular but he does by and large do the job he's told to do. In an ideal first team he'd be on the bench at best but as well as stars we need players willing to be part of the squad and come on and do what's asked of them when needed.

Where did you get this pic? I know the lad on the right - he's a member of the youth group I run. I think I might have to get it printed out a few hundred times and stuck up everywhere in time for Friday night!!!!!

:D:D

was om another forum I use.

I'd definatley do it!!!

Why on earth was M People's awful record (What you you done today to feel proud?) blarring out of the tannoy when we scored yesterday? So unbelievably embarrassing and would be more suitable at a sales rep's motivation conference or stars on sunday!

Some idiot at the club obviously thinks that this is a good idea. Probably the same idiot that thinks a drummer is a good idea!

Why on earth was M People's awful record (What you you done today to feel proud?) blarring out of the tannoy when we scored yesterday? So unbelievably embarrassing and would be more suitable at a sales rep's motivation conference or stars on sunday!

Some idiot at the club obviously thinks that this is a good idea. Probably the same idiot that thinks a drummer is a good idea!

agreed 100%- i didnt actually notice it at the game because i was too busy celebrating- but on MOTD it came through loud and clear-

what the heck are they doing?!? i thought we had banished all the crap playing of music when we score a while back. Its absolutely dreadful, the mpeople song especially made me cringe when watching the replay.

somebody really needs to have a quiet word with the PA team. whats wrong with just letting the crowd celebrate the goal- its about the only time at ewood we get noise now. :blink:

Anyone else think much of the ref yesterday? Another incompetent one, how many is that this season now? We got a free kick in injury time (right decision by the way) which MGP put away perfectly which sort of detracted from the ref's performance. If I remember right, he got the book out about four times in the first half hour when a few stern words and a couple of yellows would have been about right. The way I saw it was as a desperate attempt for him to show who was in charge. Maybe he had a stern word with himself at half time, still too whistle happy in the second half for my taste, but at least he kept the cards under control.

The result was a very harsh sending off. No complaints with the second yellow for Warnock but the first was never a booking. Spose we'll get chance to see this Swiss lad in action now - will Warnock be banned for just the Everton game?

It comes and goes.

Its utterly utterly stupid. Like the idea of drummers.

Derbyshire's injury is a blow - let's hope it's not too serious. However, I can't help thinking that this was never going to be his type of game anyway. Roberts is much more suited to the physical battle that United put up and he led the line well considering he'd been out for so long. His touch was lacking on occasions, that will improve over time, but his strength and work-rate showed us what we'd been missing over the last few months. McCarthy on the other hand didn't really show anything. He was very poor and looked almost disinterested at times.

Good report Scotty but I disagree with that bit. Given that McCarthy was as you say so lethargic (I felt he simply didn't fancy the physical challenge offerd by a side like Sheff Utd) I thought we really missed the strong running of Derbyshire, in fact for that particular game, Derbyshire and Roberts would probably have been the best option.

Also have to agree with tnr about Mokoena, I thought he was atrocious once again yesterday and for me his only passable performance came against Luton. Against Premiership opposition he's looked completely out of his depth imo.

Overall though it was one of those days where the team as a whole put in an absolute stinker (the excellent Bentley and MGP excepted) yet we still came away with the three points. Who knows, at the end of the season we might be looking back on those points as the ones which secured us UEFA Cup qualification through League position again.

Other glimmers of encouragement came through Samba who started shakily but who improved steadily the longer the game went on, and Dunn who, despite clearly being short of full match fitness, managed to earn the match winning free kick.

agreed 100%- i didnt actually notice it at the game because i was too busy celebrating- but on MOTD it came through loud and clear-

what the heck are they doing?!? i thought we had banished all the crap playing of music when we score a while back. Its absolutely dreadful, the mpeople song especially made me cringe when watching the replay.

somebody really needs to have a quiet word with the PA team. whats wrong with just letting the crowd celebrate the goal- its about the only time at ewood we get noise now. :blink:

It's bad enough having music when we score but if they insist on having it, at least have something that doesn't make us a laughing stock. I know I'm over-reacting but it really took the edge off the win and it will really start to annoy me it continues. Letter to the club will be in this week's post!

I'd be amazed if the first thing that went through Jon Stead's mind after slotting through the equaliser was ...

.."I best not celebrate too much and show some respect to the fans and club that gave me so much."

I doubt Stead even bothers spending a millisecond thinking about the club after the way they dumped him.

I'd be amazed if the first thing that went through Jon Stead's mind after slotting through the equaliser was ...

.."I best not celebrate too much and show some respect to the fans and club that gave me so much."

I doubt Stead even bothers spending a millisecond thinking about the club after the way they dumped him.

Dumped him?

Ive read some drivel but "dumped him"

How many games did he play in during 04/05? 34

How many goals did he score during that period? 2

Did the fans chant his name throughout? Yes

He had a rather prolonged exit, rather than getting "dumped"

I'd like to know who actually decided it would be a good idea. Obviously not much of a football fan if they think music is actually needed when a goal goes in. Whatever the atmosphere at games...that is one moment that does not need a crappy song to improve it. Hopefully it won't be back again anymore.

To think how many times I used to tease Burnley fans about that weird music where they move their arms up and down after they score as well. Whatever that was called ;)

pg - Stead knew what he was doing and I believe you are doing him a disservice. The way he still supports Huddersfield shows that he is a fan and after the way the fans at Rovers supported him it isn't a surprise his celebration was muted.

A whole lotta over reaection to the music thing, after all apart from the Blackburn End and thos eof us in the JW Upper theres not many others singing so the music helps us out a bit !!! :)

Those in the JW Upper?

You cant count you and Mike as a "group" 1864!!!

I'd like to know who actually decided it would be a good idea. Obviously not much of a football fan if they think music is actually needed when a goal goes in. Whatever the atmosphere at games...that is one moment that does not need a crappy song to improve it. Hopefully it won't be back again anymore.

To think how many times I used to tease Burnley fans about that weird music where they move their arms up and down after they score as well. Whatever that was called ;)

pg - Stead knew what he was doing and I believe you are doing him a disservice. The way he still supports Huddersfield shows that he is a fan and after the way the fans at Rovers supported him it isn't a surprise his celebration was muted.

Mixed thinking about any goal celebration music. Agreed if we aqre to do it again in the future we need a decent song that can get the crown singing for a bit longer.............like the Feyenoord little ditty - obviously before he starts singing about Feyenoord though!

Archived