BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Cameron On Standing Areas

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given that it was the Football Spectators Act 1989, hastily drafted by the then Sports Minister Colin Moynihan, which signalled the start of the end of football probably since about then.

Have I missed something or been living in another dimension for the last 18 years?

Didn't realise football was dead.

Have I missed something or been living in another dimension for the last 18 years?

Didn't realise football was dead.

He hasn't suggested football was dead. Declining attendancies at most clubs backs up his point. Football isn't as good as it used to be IMO.

Have I missed something?

Have I suggested football was dead?

I think "dying" is a far better word to use.

You said it was the "start of the end" - it's been a long start of the end so far (or are we now in the middle of the end) and the end of the end isn't in sight yet.

All seater stadia was an evolution in football, not it's last rights.

Would football have survived, become the industry it is today without the shakedown of measures such as this - which have increased the female fanbase, the family fanbase and the corporate sector - and the clamp down on hooliganism, racism and the like?

TV money would not have been ploughed in at the same rates if the product that had the same profile as the game in the 70s and 80s.

"Traditional football", with the man and son on the terraces may well have 'died' around the late 80s but the Football Spectators Act probably contributed to the saving of the long term game. But that's my opinion, and I don't expect anyone to agree.

You said it was the "start of the end" - it's been a long start of the end so far (or are we now in the middle of the end) and the end of the end isn't in sight yet.

I did indeed.

I said "start of the end"

I dont know a single person who things football now is anywhere near as good as football pre 1992.

The only difference being average players getting paid more money than they likes of you and I can even imagine earning in a decade for each year they bother working.

I did indeed.

I said "start of the end"

I dont know a single person who things football now is anywhere near as good as football pre 1992.

The only difference being average players getting paid more money than they likes of you and I can even imagine earning in a decade for each year they bother working.

pre 1988ish or should i say pre thatcher

I don't think you can blame all-seater stadia for the decline of football. There are all sorts of factors, and I for one would think that the softening of football is one of the main contributary factors. Watch games from even 10 years ago and a current team would be reduced to 7 or 8 a side when you see some of the tackles that they got away with. Now it's great to see skills but it's better to see a really passionate game with sensible refereeing so that dangerous play is not allowed but more physical contact than we currently see is.

I did indeed.

Agree with Modi here.

Objectively speaking football, the product is much better than it was pre 1992.

Bergkamp, Zola, Shearer, Andy Cole, Cantona, Henry etc. to name but a few.

Everton prequalifying for the Champions League, the other year "small" clubs like Bolton and Blasckburn qualifying for the UEFA Cup.

The only problem is that the top 3 is somewhat predictable at the moment but I don't honestly recall that ever being any different. Since the 70's you always knew it was going to be Leeds /Liverpool or Liverpool/ Forest, or for most of the 80's, Liverpool at the top before the season started.

As for Cameron, I too have my doubts that this is a potential votewinner which will be dumped the minute he gets into power but it's a bit unfair to tar him with any dirtier a brush than any other politician.

Agree with Modi here.

Objectively speaking football, the product is much better than it was pre 1992.

I think it depends on how you view it Rev.

My personal opinion, and that shared by many others, is that football has become a sterile artificial experience, with way too much predictability on the field.

Not one sole cause for it, but several.

And in my opinion the beginning was the late 80's early 90's.

You guys have no idea as to when football took a dive as far as local sides were concerned.

Without a doubt the abolition of the maximum wage killed football. [if indeed it is dead].

I can only speak from my experience of "football", not specifically referring to local sides, or otherwise.

to football as a game.

All seater stadia was an evolution in football, not it's last rights.

Would football have survived, become the industry it is today without the shakedown of measures such as this - which have increased the female fanbase, the family fanbase and the corporate sector - and the clamp down on hooliganism, racism and the like?

TV money would not have been ploughed in at the same rates if the product that had the same profile as the game in the 70s and 80s.

"Traditional football", with the man and son on the terraces may well have 'died' around the late 80s but the Football Spectators Act probably contributed to the saving of the long term game. But that's my opinion, and I don't expect anyone to agree.

And you sir, are certainly entitled to it!.............. In your splendid isolation! :rolleyes:

Has old Etonian Cameron ever been to a football match?

That makes me laugh, as if none of labour leadership didn't go to private schools , Tony Blair & Both gordan brown both come equally as priledged upbringings as Cameron for Christ sake. The only recent leader from either side side that had modest upbringings was Michael Dracula howard. and i didnt see people rushing out to vote for him.

Has old Etonian Cameron ever been to a football match?

Wouldn't be surprised if he's been in a box at Stamford Bridge or The Emirates. It would appear that some junior spin doctor has trawled around and come up with this Willaim Hague style "Baseball cap on the wrong way round at the Carnival" type stunt for "Dave".

Archived