BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Intertoto 2007/08

mark

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we get in the intertoto what dates are the matches likely to take place?

Would hate it to be while im on holiday.

1st Leg - Saturday 21st / Sunday 22nd July 2007

2nd Leg - Saturday 28th / Sunday 29th July 2007

I fancy a trip to Riga, Jordan-you been there?

I've been there. Its really nice and cheap, nice old town, cheap beer, nice local beer, excellent night life (got the biggest nightclub in northern europe!), fit girls, etc.

If we win at Fulham on Saturday we will be looking at a very good chance on reaching Europe again. We would be five points clear of Newcastle and then they have to play Chelsea. The only worry is if Portsmouth get the third Uefa Cup spot then we will have to finish above Spurs to get that Intertoto route. Our chances of reaching Europe could once again come down to a trip to White Hart Lane...

The only worry is if Portsmouth get the third Uefa Cup spot

I was thinking that myself. On paper Pompey have difficult fixtures left. Villa (A), Liverpool (H), Everton (A), Arsenal (H). However will Liverpool and Arsenal by up for it? I'm not too sure. I reckon the only fixture that they would be in danger of losing is Everton away - and they might even have qualified for Europe already. I think that is a big worry FLB.

I was thinking that myself. On paper Pompey have difficult fixtures left. Villa (A), Liverpool (H), Everton (A), Arsenal (H). However will Liverpool and Arsenal by up for it? I'm not too sure. I reckon the only fixture that they would be in danger of losing is Everton away - and they might even have qualified for Europe already. I think that is a big worry FLB.

Dont forget Spurs have a game in hand over Portsmouth..........against us!!

Looking at the fixture list and it is possible we could be playing Spurs for a UEFA place.

However, wait for it...

It is far more likely we will be going to White Hart Lane NEEDING TO LOSE to secure Intertoto qualification.

At least waggy will be able to see the kids getting a game that night.

Are we sure Pompey and Reading haven't applied for intertoto cup?

http://www.comeonboro.com/matches/06071999.htm

:ph34r:

I would usually be against the Intertoto on the basis that its very risky to commit to so many games. It can really hurt your season as tiredness sets in.

However, if we hold on to our personnel, I think its eminantly do-able next year. We now nearly have two decent players for every position and I am sure we are looking at getting a couple more in over the summer. A rotation through the earlier rounds would minimise the negative impact and even give us a competitive advantage going into the Prem as we would be up and running come August.

I would usually be against the Intertoto on the basis that its very risky to commit to so many games. It can really hurt your season as tiredness sets in.

However, if we hold on to our personnel, I think its eminantly do-able next year. We now nearly have two decent players for every position and I am sure we are looking at getting a couple more in over the summer. A rotation through the earlier rounds would minimise the negative impact and even give us a competitive advantage going into the Prem as we would be up and running come August.

Its a different format now JBN. English teams only have to win a 2 legged final to qualify for the UEFA cup. I think thats why everybody is keen for us to qualify to enter. The new format is much more appealing. Plus we can add the Intertoto to our honours list ala Newcastle. :D

The draw has been made today. The English representative will play a team from either Poland, Lithuania or Wales. the last two play in the first round and then play the Polish team in the second. Rovers would come in on the third round and would be away first leg.

The draw has been made today. The English representative will play a team from either Poland, Lithuania or Wales. the last two play in the first round and then play the Polish team in the second. Rovers would come in on the third round and would be away first leg.

Any of the trips would be good. Wales would be a piece of p1ss. Poland it cheap to get to and once your there it is dirt cheap, likewise so is Lithuania.

So that looks like a trip to Poland if.....

Then of course the Intertoto teams go into an earlier qualification round of the UEFA don't they?

However, Bolton's massive injury list is pointing to Saturday's Trotter home collapse to Reading being decisively fatal for Rovers' Intertoto hopes.

I ran that predictor thingy and even though I had Rovers beating Reading on the last day of the season, Reading still pipped Bolton for the UEFA proper and Bolton went Intertoto.

However, if Rovers beat Newcastle AND Spurs (I had them losing both), we would pip Bolton on GD if the Trotters have a complete collapse which is looking possible.

Its a different format now JBN. English teams only have to win a 2 legged final to qualify for the UEFA cup. I think thats why everybody is keen for us to qualify to enter. The new format is much more appealing. Plus we can add the Intertoto to our honours list ala Newcastle. :D

From reading the info on the Intertoto, it actually only qualifies you for the Second Qualifying Round of the UEFA cup rather than the first round proper. So that would be 4 games before we get to where we started from this season.

Having said that, i am in favour of entering as the prospect of UEFA football can't harm our interests when it comes to transfer ins/outs this summer, and these games will just replace some of the pre-season friendlies.

wales would be happy days for me though i have to say a trip to poland or lithuania would be well good, cheap beer on tour and the lithuania ladies are tidy, top marks for the one i was with from experience, mind if we go to poland maybe i'll get the full set :)

Was she more expensive than Waggy's Israeli woman?

As spurs are top of the fair play league would they get into europe through that, assuming they finished 8th? or would the intertoto slot take over in that situation?

For fair play there are two places. The first goes to the country at the top of the European table, almost certain to be Sweden. The second is a draw of one place from 51 countries so it's a pretty long shot that anyone would get in by that route. I don't know about priority between fair play and Intertoto though.

My mate gave me the impression that england had a spot sorted from the fairplay league. Investigation into this hasn't led me any further. However a couple of people have said this on 606.

The fair play league works like this: the country with the higest overall position in the fair play standings gets an automatic place. This is currently Sweden, and their Fair Play winner gets an automatic place.

The next ten countries in the standings get placed into a hat and two are drawn at random. Those countries Fair Play winners get a place, or the next club down if the winner is already in a competition etc. It's complicated, but if Tottingham get a European spot (unlikely), Villa will be that club IF we don't pick up stupid red cards in the last four games and IF England is picked.

It looks likely to be between us and spurs. Even more so that we have to lose to spurs to get them into europe! Oh Fun!

Archived