BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Intertoto 2007/08

mark

How many teams qualify from the Inter toto for Uefa cup? Do you have to win it? Could be difficult if some big teams apply.

We play 1 two-legged game against Polish opposition. If we win we're in the UEFA cup qualifying round.

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
State of play:

5th and as good as qualified for UEFA Everton 57pts 16GD (Chelsea A)

6th Spurs 56pts 2GD (Rovers H, Man City H)

7th Bolton 55pts -5 GD (Villa H)

8th Reading 54pts 5GD (Rovers A)

9th Portsmouth 53pts 3GD (Arsenal H)

10th Rovers 50pts -2GD (Spurs A, Reading H)

11th Villa 49pts 2GD

If Everton, Spurs and Bolton win all their remaining fixtures, Rovers get Intertoto even if they also lose to Reading.

If Rovers win their last two, then we need Bolton and Pompey not to win their last game in order to qualify for the UEFA.

If Pompey win and Bolton do not, we lose our Intertoto place.

If Reading draw against us and Bolton lose, we lose our Intertoto place.

Not if we win our last two games as we would finish about Bolton and get Intertoto.

Just to clarify:

Intertoto qualification means:

1) A 2 LEGGED TIE vs WELSH/POLISH/LITHUANIAN TEAM

if won

2) A 2 LEGGED TIE IN THE UEFA QUAL ROUND

if won

3) 1st ROUND UEFA PROPER

think this is correct. It seems easier than when the intertoto first was created, i'm sure you had to win a mini league then a play-off. Oh well, looks good if we make it.

So where does this leave us now? Do we have to hope we beat Reading and Portsmouth lose to Arsenal?

I don't think it matters about Pompey. From what I gather from the commentry today, they haven't applied for the intertoto and neither have Reading

If Bolton win then we qualify for the Intertoto Cup as long as both us and tottenham don't lose.

If Bolton lose, then as long as we win against Reading and Pompey dont beat Arsenal we are there.

If Bolton draw then we qualify as long as we dont lose to Reading and Pompey don't beat Arsenal.

First two lines © Bobby G

edit to first line - sorry bobby

Neither of pompey or reading to take 7th is what we need.

can be achieved by us beating reading.

or

bolton to win and us not lose or spurs not lose.

The or is incorrect.

If we beat Reading, Bolton lose to Villa and Pompey win they we dont qualify for the intertoto.

thing is though, I hope we're not thinking of playing our first team in the Intertoto games. We need a good, full-length rest for everyone important, or else I don't even want to imagine what awaits us next season.

thing is though, I hope we're not thinking of playing our first team in the Intertoto games. We need a good, full-length rest for everyone important, or else I don't even want to imagine what awaits us next season.

The 2 Intertoto games are when we would be playing pre season friendlies anyway. We need to ensure we play a team strong enough to win it, should we qualify there is a potential to be playing Wisla Krakow again.

Plus, now that the format is down to two games and then UEFA Cup qualifiers, we are looking at four more games than last season and they are hardly going to tire our players out and lead to an end of season collapse.

If you ask me, I would rather not playing in inter-toto than playing. In this season, we can see that we cannot cope with 2 competition line at the same time. When we still in UEFA, our league performance is bad. After we have eliminated from UEFA, our league performance become better and better.

If we can have the depth in our squad during the following months, then yes, if not, I think it is not a bad idea to let us concentrate on permiership and get better result.

Have Villa applied? They can still catch us if we don't win against Reading.

Blackburn v Reading

Bolton v Aston Villa

Chelsea v Everton

Liverpool v Charlton

Man Utd v West Ham

Middlesbro' v Fulham

Portsmouth v Arsenal

Sheff Utd v Wigan

Tottenham v Man City

Watford v Newcastle

Portsmouth are at home :( . Bolton are going to screw this up - Villa are playing well, and they aren't. Woe is me. The end is nigh.

If you ask me, I would rather not playing in inter-toto than playing. In this season, we can see that we cannot cope with 2 competition line at the same time. When we still in UEFA, our league performance is bad. After we have eliminated from UEFA, our league performance become better and better.

If we can have the depth in our squad during the following months, then yes, if not, I think it is not a bad idea to let us concentrate on permiership and get better result.

I agree KY, but I also think thta this year we were unlucky with injuries - Reid, Oojier & Savage to mention 3 - all missed. Tugay looked out on his knees last night but gave a brilliant performance.

I would rather be in Europe than not - not least because of the brilliant away trips we enjoyed - it gives an extra dimension to the season

One Love - BRFC

We we're discussing this at work yesterday. It does appear in many cases that being in the UEFA cup affects league form. If we missed out then next year we could have an even better league season. Unfortunately, we're still unlikely to break the Champions League monopoly so the best we could hope for is 5th or 6th - which gives us a UEFA cup place which then affects our subsequent season. Avoiding UEFA only brings the chance of more success in the league thus more UEFA.

I think that if we were hoping to achieve regular UEFA cup football, the fringe playes like Peter, Gallagher, Berner and Nonda, as well as the other players sith squad numbers (Fielding, Treacy, Nolan, Kane) must be trusted enough to play their part. If they aren't considered good enough then we need to look at finding players to do for us what Solskaer has done for Man U, be good but also content to sit on the bench and only play a limited number of games.

Archived