SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Intertoto 2007/08

mark

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cant see us beating Spurs no way.

If we Lose to Spurs and beat Reading will it still be possible Phil?

no. we need 6 points....and i'm pretty sure that would get us into europe.

The way I see it:

We need to win both our remaining games. That would put Reading out of the way.

Then: a) Pompey must get no more than a draw vs Arsenal, B ) Bolton no more than a draw vs Aston Villa, and c) Spurs no more than 3 points vs Charlton and Man City (+losing to us ofcourse, though even then it will depend on who scores more on the final day). If 2 out of 3 of those happen, we will get the final 7th spot for UEFA.

Still don't know about Intertoto though, that seems even more ridiculously complicated.

Intertoto is in the bag PROVIDED, Everton, Boton and Spurs come 5th, 6th and 7th. If anyone of those slip down to 8th then because they have applied for the Intertoto, they would take the place unless Rovers manage to get ahead of the one missing out on 7th place.

I believe Villa have not applied (can someone confirm?) so we could lose both remaining games and still be in the Intertoto by finishing 11th provided neither Reading nor Pompey get into the UEFA slots.

Intertoto is in the bag PROVIDED, Everton, Boton and Spurs come 5th, 6th and 7th. If anyone of those slip down to 8th then because they have applied for the Intertoto, they would take the place unless Rovers manage to get ahead of the one missing out on 7th place.

I believe Villa have not applied (can someone confirm?) so we could lose both remaining games and still be in the Intertoto by finishing 11th provided neither Reading nor Pompey get into the UEFA slots.

Villa have definately not applied, O'Neill claimed he didn't want to ruin his first pre-season in charge

If we Lose to Spurs and beat Reading will it still be possible Phil?

For Intertoto purposes, if we lost to Spurs and beat Reading we would qualify provided Portsmouth didn't beat Arsenal. If Portsmouth did win we would need Bolton to beat Villa.

Spurs beating charlton 1-0 Berbatov. Looks like Intertoto if notlob don't screw up.

I am really worried about Bolton doing that. Saying that if Bolton screw up it probabely means that we have also screwed up by not beating Reading.

I have just realised as well how important it is if we beat Spuds on Thursday. Previously I was thinking if we lost then it would not matter too much but I think it will.

I am really worried about Bolton doing that. Saying that if Bolton screw up it probabely means that we have also screwed up by not beating Reading.

I have just realised as well how important it is if we beat Spuds on Thursday. Previously I was thinking if we lost then it would not matter too much but I think it will.

yep. So if Tottenham win tonight we are secured Intertoto as long as we beat Reading in the last game, to keep them away from top 7.

If we win our next 2 games and Bolton lose their last we will finish 7th wont we? With tottenham going 6th presuming they win theirs. I hope this is the case as i Bet my mate a fiver before this season that we would finish higher than Bolton. Id love it if we pipped them on the last day.

yep. So if Tottenham win tonight we are secured Intertoto as long as we beat Reading in the last game, to keep them away from top 7.

Not quite as Pompy could beat Arsenal and Bolton could lose/draw against Villa - meaning Pompy 7th Bolton 8th.

Tonights result does mean that if Rovers win their remaining 2 games we are guaranteed an Intertoto place. It also means we don't have to worry about having to let Spurs beat us.

edit - (providing Tottenham get a least a point at home to Cty !!!!!)

Bolton have applied. They need to win or we need to win both and hope portsmouth don't win, as they have a better goal difference.

If Bolton win their last match they will qualify for Europe. If they don't and we win our last two we will finish above them anyway.

State of play:

5th and as good as qualified for UEFA Everton 57pts 16GD (Chelsea A)

6th Spurs 56pts 2GD (Rovers H, Man City H)

7th Bolton 55pts -5 GD (Villa H)

8th Reading 54pts 5GD (Rovers A)

9th Portsmouth 53pts 3GD (Arsenal H)

10th Rovers 50pts -2GD (Spurs A, Reading H)

11th Villa 49pts 2GD

If Everton, Spurs and Bolton win all their remaining fixtures, Rovers get Intertoto even if they also lose to Reading.

If Rovers win their last two, then we need Bolton and Pompey not to win their last game in order to qualify for the UEFA.

If Pompey win and Bolton do not, we lose our Intertoto place.

If Reading draw against us and Bolton lose, we lose our Intertoto place.

Looking at the table I can't help but reflect on some of the ones that got away. We get the right calls from the officials and we are crusing into Europe, we get apoint form the bottom clubs instead of losses same thing. Considering everything I think we've had quite a decent season. Next season could be really good. Lot of promise.

Question. Just how does the qualifying for the Intertoto work?

Used to be top 12 but I think they changed it to 10th this season.

For us to slip down to 11th (we or draw with or lose to Reading and lose to Spurs whilst Villa beat Bolton), Bolton will inevitably slip out of 7th place so it is not a relevant consideration.

State of play:

5th and as good as qualified for UEFA Everton 57pts 16GD (Chelsea A)

6th Spurs 56pts 2GD (Rovers H, Man City H)

7th Bolton 55pts -5 GD (Villa H)

8th Reading 54pts 5GD (Rovers A)

9th Portsmouth 53pts 3GD (Arsenal H)

10th Rovers 50pts -2GD (Spurs A, Reading H)

11th Villa 49pts 2GD

If Everton, Spurs and Bolton win all their remaining fixtures, Rovers get Intertoto even if they also lose to Reading.

If Rovers win their last two, then we need Bolton and Pompey not to win their last game in order to qualify for the UEFA.

If Pompey win and Bolton do not, we lose our Intertoto place.

If Reading draw against us and Bolton lose, we lose our Intertoto place.

I have a nasty feeling Bolton are going to let us down for intertoto purposes.

For all the talk about us having to lose against Spurs the safest route would seem to be 6 points from the last two games, presume that Arsenal will be too strong for Pompey, and hope that the "Sammy Lee effect" kicks in again in the opening 20 mins on Sunday!.

Archived