BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Intertoto 2007/08

mark

I think we all said similar things as Arsenal progressed through the league cup. It might be better for us that Arsenal field a side of young players with something to prove rather than the established players who will be just wrapping up a season.

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pompey will almost certainly beat Arsenal with Wenger sending the kids out and nothing to play for :ph34r:

Arsenal are level on points with Liverpool but behind on goal diff by 2 goals. Fourth place in the league has to play an early-August Champions League qualifier. I'm pretty sure Wenger will want to avoid that if at all possible. It's just a pity that Liverpool don't have a tougher game.

Actually, if Bolton win, we don't need both us and Tottenham to avoid defeat. Only one of us has to avoid defeat in that case.

Yep, you're right. So the updated situation is:-

If Bolton win then we qualify for the Intertoto Cup as long either Rovers or Tottenham avoid defeat..

If Bolton lose, then as long as we win against Reading and Pompey dont beat Arsenal we are there.

If Bolton draw then we qualify as long as we dont lose to Reading and Pompey don't beat Arsenal.

On Talksport yesterday it was saying that we have already qualified for the ITCup as neither Bolton,Portsmouth or Reading had applied to enter. However, a guy at work was saying that Bolton had applied as his sister works for the Trotters and didmt want the hassle of a July fixture. Therefore we must hope that Bolton beat Villa and we are there.

On Talksport yesterday it was saying that we have already qualified for the ITCup as neither Bolton,Portsmouth or Reading had applied to enter. However, a guy at work was saying that Bolton had applied as his sister works for the Trotters and didmt want the hassle of a July fixture. Therefore we must hope that Bolton beat Villa and we are there.

I'm just going to enjoy the day on Sunday, and hope rovers romp to victory ,and see what happens after.

Que sera ,sera :tu:

Right, so I've been reading up on this -

We will enter the Intertoto Cup at the 3rd Round, and play a 2 legged tie. If we get through that we will enter the UEFA Cup 2nd qualifying round. We will have a 2 legged tie at this stage, and another in the 3rd qualifying round should we get that far, and then we will be in the UEFA Cup.

Sounds like a lot of work :unsure:

We will enter the Intertoto Cup at the 3rd Round, and play a 2 legged tie. If we get through that we will enter the UEFA Cup 2nd qualifying round. We will have a 2 legged tie at this stage, and another in the 3rd qualifying round should we get that far, and then we will be in the UEFA Cup.

Which all adds up to alot of knackered players before the league season starts.

I hope Hughes knows what he is doing : most clubs who have entered the Intertoto have suffered later in the season.

Its only four more games than where we started from last year. Definately worth it, especially when you consider that with the squad strenthening over the last year we have pretty much two players for every position. We could play the likes of Dunn, Mokoena, Nonda, Derbyshire, Berner, Henchoz, Emerton and still bring in Savage, Reid, Ooijer, McCarthy, Roberts, Nelsen as fresh later on. Of course we will mix it up but it does illustrate we have the depth. And we are also in a position to bring in a couple of signings too.

So pleased. We have been hit by major injuries this year so 10th is a decent if not outstanding finish. Lets push on! Well done the lads.

14. Lithuana (Vėtra Wilno) - Wales (Llanelli AFC)

L. Winner 14 - Poland

you will join here at this stage against winner of games above

III round - 21-22 july, 28-29 july

Winner L - England

I suppose it will be Polish team again. NO clear which one yet. We have a great mess around third place, and we will have someone relegated because of corruption crimes. Probably Legia Warszawa or Wisla Krakow.

Its only four more games than where we started from last year. Definately worth it, especially when you consider that with the squad strenthening over the last year we have pretty much two players for every position. We could play the likes of Dunn, Mokoena, Nonda, Derbyshire, Berner, Henchoz, Emerton and still bring in Savage, Reid, Ooijer, McCarthy, Roberts, Nelsen as fresh later on. Of course we will mix it up but it does illustrate we have the depth. And we are also in a position to bring in a couple of signings too.

So pleased. We have been hit by major injuries this year so 10th is a decent if not outstanding finish. Lets push on! Well done the lads.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very pleased we got in. Its just a lot more games than I thought it would be.

And isn't it 6 more games than last time? Surely we played Red Bull Salzburg in the First Round proper last year - we have Intertoto and then 2 qualifying rounds to get through this time before that stage...?

Don't get me wrong, I'm very pleased we got in. Its just a lot more games than I thought it would be.

And isn't it 6 more games than last time? Surely we played Red Bull Salzburg in the First Round proper last year - we have Intertoto and then 2 qualifying rounds to get through this time before that stage...?

No if my reading of the Uefa web site is correct it is four extra games. We will enter at the third round stage of the Intertoto Cup, against a representative from Wales Lithuania or Poland with a two leg tie on 21/22 July and 28/29 July. Win that and its the second qualifying round of the Uefa Cup during the middle of August. Win that and its the first round proper in September when the other English teams will enter. Also due to our progress this year we would be seeded in that first round.

Poland or Lithuania please

Europe again Brilliant : :lol::lol:

The UEFA Cup starts with three knockout qualifying rounds held in July and August. Participants from associations ranked 18 and lower enter the first qualifying round, and participants from associations ranked 9-18 join them in the second qualifying round. In addition, three places in the first qualifying round are reserved for the Fair Play winners, and eleven places in the second qualifying round are reserved for the UEFA Intertoto Cup winners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uefa_cup

I know, I know, it's Wikipedia etc etc etc - but can anyone confirm with a link that this isnt the case?

I hope we go to Lithuania; I ahve been many times via work and it is a fantastic country with dirt cheap beer and decent food, bars and the rest.

If it is Lithuania i'll do a travel guide for the Blue Army.

ps. the beer snacks that come with the ale are great: chicken feet and pigs ears!!!!

With 8 games of the Polish season left, Korona Kielce are in the Intertoto place. I don't know whether entry into the Intertoto from Poland has other considerations as Lech Poznan went through twice recently and did not finish in the place immediately below the UEFA qualifiers.

No Polish club has got beyond round 2 of the Intertoto thus far.

But we have to remember we will be playing a team just after the end of their season so it could be a very demanding task playing Polish opposition in late July.

Villa in the hat with a 2 in 11 chance of UEFA fair play place on Wednesday.

Archived