BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers 0 Bayer Leverkusen 0

Paul

:rover: i reckon we can still make europe next season,good run in the league and the fa cup to come :rolleyes: everyone who went away this season must have enjoyed it,i reckon we will make europe :brfc:

I wish I could believe this Waggy but I can't

There have been blackdays following the Rovers and last night came into that (akin to the defeat at Palace in the play off's for one), and I just feel as Paul and probably many others did - we could have gone all the way and probably made a a good cause for the future of the club and possibly halt the decline and grey cloud over the attendances etc. Now I feel it has cost us big time and I am gutted for the club, me and and everybody else.

I just get the feeling it will hit home to some of the players as well ie Bentley and Pedersen.

I know it might just be the usual pessimistic view alot of us have of the Rovers, but the (immediate) non strengthening of the midfield, (excluding Dunn as I feel he will need the pre season to show his worth as it is obvious he is not fit enough yet) has caome back and bitten our head off.

And yes I am depressed.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having had the chance to reflect further on the game, I don't think we were as bad as many people are making out.

They came and did a real job on us, surprisingly they were pressing and harrying us more than we were them, and as a result we could never get a real head of steam up. After the first half in which we never managed to put them under any concerted pressure I had a feeling we weren't going to score and that's how it panned out.

Having said that Friedel never had a shot to save, and even though it wasn't an A* performance the match eventually boiled down to McCarthy and Nonda failing to convert a couple of glorious chances each. Had any of those gone in and had we won 1-0 I suspect people's opinions would have been very different and we'd have been talking about what a solid professional job we did.

It was one of those nights where it just wasn't to be, it was a situation that required an early goal and we didn't get it. Unfortunately it probably wasn't the sort of edge of the seat stuff that will have those elusive 25000 home fans returning on a regular basis.

Two players I was disappointed with were McCarthy and Dunn. I was all for Dunn coming back, and the talent is still obviously there, but at the moment he still looks two yards off the pace, slow both in quickness of thought and physically. Hopefully the sharpness will return with more games.

I don't know what to make of McCarthy, on paper his goal scoring ratio looks good but can anyone remember a scintillating won the match on his own 90 minute performance from him? Last night and for the last few weeks he has looked like he simply can't be arsed frankly. I wonder if he has his eyes on pastures new in the summer? I must say that if anyone came in and offered us good money for him at this particular point in time I wouldn't be too upset.

Unlikely that it probably now is, one major advantage of a Bellamy return would be that he wouldn't be prepared to tolerate less than 100% commitment from any of his strike partners.

now that I have had time to reflect on the game a few thoughts.

For me if a team play a 4-5-1, then we should of played a 3-5-2. often we had three or four players marking there one forward player. This would of meant that we could have win the battle ofthe midfield.

However at the end of the day, teams that win games, take there chances, and we did not.

I thought that david dunn did ok, bearing in mind that amount of football that he has played, we will not see tha best of him still next season.

Bear in mind that half our side is out and that a number of key players are only just match fit, we have done well.

As for the crowd well done to all

I'm bitterly disappointed because I really felt that we could make an impact in this years Uefa Cup and when we drew Bayer Leverkusen I thought that it was a team that we could beat. We did well in the first league to get two away goals, but to follow it up with last nights performance is very disappointing.

Had any of those gone in and had we won 1-0 I suspect people's opinions would have been very different and we'd have been talking about what a solid professional job we did.

It was one of those nights where it just wasn't to be, it was a situation that required an early goal and we didn't get it.

Mine wouldn't Rev- we where just far to negative in my book for most of the game - especially given all them late chances that came our way. I just don't understand it - So what if they had scored (doubt they would have though) just meant we would have had to score 2 .. and would have had more time to do it rather than the hit and hope balls late on

Early goal - disn't get it - we didn't bloody look for it that's why.

I hate having to do this, but yet again I find myself repeating myself this time from after the Salzburg tie -and the mentioning re how McCarthy and Nonda showboating and wasted chances would come to haunt us - well last night it made my nightmare - maybe no showboating but as for giving a damn and being direct and composed they where a laughing stock.

OJ take me to your dealer

Early goal - disn't get it - we didn't bloody look for it that's why.

Fair point, it was probably part of our game plan not to be too gung ho early on because if they nicked one it would have made things a bit too difficult. Although we probably overdid it a bit and were a little too cautious in the first half.

It still boiled down to three or four chances that should have been gratefully snapped up though.

I'm disappointed we're out, but don't feel the need to slate the team. We did our best. I don't buy this "not trying hard enough" cobblers that's being spouted on here.

We've had some tough games lately, some knackered players and more than our share of injuries. However fit you are, playing twice a week at maximum intensity takes its toll and we're seeing that in Rovers' recent performances. We haven't got the depth, especially with Reid and Sav missing (they were steaming through centre-mid almost unopposed last night).

We had a bobbins ref (no surprise it kicked off), they had the right tactics (with added rolling around on the floor, bawling yer eyes out like girls) and we were knackered.

Let's not forget that our best chance (early second half) brought a fantastic save from their keeper!

So how about getting off the players' backs and getting behind the team like we did at times last night?

We've still got a crack at the FA Cup and places to make up in the league. This is not the end of the season!

Get down to Ewood on Sunday (and Wednesday) and give the boys our support!

Simon :brfc:

fantastic save from their keeper!

Get down to Ewood on Sunday (and Wednesday) and give the boys our support!

Simon :brfc:

fantastic save? :blink:

Unfortunately I won't be at any - so hopefully the support they got last night might spur them on this time

Having had a little time to reflect on the game, my initial dissapointment and frustration has subsided somewhat.

Looking back over the game, it had that feeling about it where you knew we just weren't going to score. I think that Leverkusen did a good job in protecting their lead, although some of the tactics they used have no place in football. They're persistent fouling, cynical trips and time wasting should have been stamped out by the ref early on. This for me was a major factor in Rovers not being able to apply any sustained pressure, they simpy stopped the game from flowing. Also, the condition of the pitch, particularly in the first half did not help our cause, we had little option other than to play more directly as the pitch wasn't up to keeping the ball on the ground.

Right then excuses covered, now the critical view:

For me, we started the game way too slowly and with too much caution. It's easy to think that we only need one goal, we've to 90 minutes to get it and we don't want to risk conceding - and thats exactly the mentality we came out with. Although on face value it may sound sensible, my view is opposite to that, and the sooner you get the goal you need the better - come out all guns blazing and try to get the goal quickly may have been a better option. An early goal would have settled things down and also meant the Leverkusen would have no option other than to open up a bit. In the end way were cautious for too long, and the clock was our enemy in the end. The longer things went on, the more difficult it became.

Granted, we created a few chances, and on another day one may have gone in. I would have liked a little more urgency in our play and I think more persistant use of the flanks would have helped create more problems for them. Also, as per usual, our corners were nothing short of woeful. I am begining to think we should forfit them and just let the opposition have a goal kick instead! Although I don't want us to be a team that creates everything from set pieces, in this kind of situation these can be the difference between a draw and a win.

To sum up, we've had a very good run, and with a full strength team and better conditions last night may have been different.

Certainly not the end of the world that some people are stating on here - we've done very well to get this far. A win against Pompey and Aresenal and all this will be forgotten.

Keep the faith!

I didn't see the game, the only ideas I have come from match reports and on here. When you concede 3 goals and miss sitters you won't win in European competitions. You can try to blame incompetent ref's and time wasting, but what happened last weekend? We time wasted all afternoon, and Arsenal were denied a stonewall penalty. You can't have it both ways. I think our injuries finally caught up with us last night. If we are not careful our season could be dead and buried by next Thursday. We need to forget this quickly and get ready to assault Arsenal. I do hope a decent crowd turns up for that one too.

Our best run in Europe ever, but still gutted we're out. Although with the injuries to players like Sav & Reid, certain players not fully fit and the inability to put the chances away, have hindered us this season. Still, all is not lost. We're still in with a chance in the FA Cup. Hopefully L'Arse will rest some of their players as they lost to PSV, and we're not that far off the pace and can still make up the places in the league. The experience of European football will rub off on us and hopefully, with the support of the crowd, spur us on to better things and another run in Europe.

Will always keep the faith!

You can try to blame incompetent ref's and time wasting, but what happened last weekend? We time wasted all afternoon,

We were playing at it in comparison to Bayer though speeeeeeedie. The officials were diabolical last night as was the finishing of Benni (a different player since the transfer window shut) and the Doctor. It was a bad night (a very bad night) all round but I'd hardly compare it to the Palace defeat in the Play Offs like the Capt though.

Oh and a bit of advice, punching the back of your own seat on the BBE because the useless Spanish referee has made another unbelievably bad decision will not help. You'll just have a sore hand the day after.

We will be back!!

..... though I feel you underestimate the achievement of reaching the last 32. Rovers European record was awful so reaching this stage has been a real achievement.

Has it? Hmmm ..... according to a recent post on here we are going to be about the 30th richest team in the world come the new deal so maybe we are simply punching our revised weight.

We were playing at it in comparison to Bayer though speeeeeeedie. The officials were diabolical last night as was the finishing of Benni (a different player since the transfer window shut) and the Doctor. It was a bad night (a very bad night) all round but I'd hardly compare it to the Palace defeat in the Play Offs like the Capt though.

As I said Bob, I wasn't there so I only have second hand info. If they were that bad I'm glad I didn't see it. However, scoring goals will always take the pressure off incompetent officiating.

Has it? Hmmm ..... according to a recent post on here we are going to be about the 30th richest team in the world come the new deal so maybe we are simply punching our revised weight.

I get your drift but still feel that this season's campaign has laid the European hoodoo. If we do become the world's 30th richest club - seems a bit bizare to be truthful - we may have to think again. For now I'm happy we have done well in the UEFA cup but am bitterly disappointed we didn't go further. The standard of opposition so far means we should have made the last 16. By all accounts Lens are beatable so the last 8 beckoned?

Archived