BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 1 West Ham 2

I'm more angry about the team than the officials. Yes, we were robbed of a point, but it should have been academic. If we'd played the whole game like we did the first half hour we'd have won easily, no matter what the officials did.

How on earth can Blackburn Rovers players be complacent? How can they think that they don't have to match the oppositions effort and commitment to get a result? I was stunned at our collective arrogance once we'd gone a goal up and we got exactly what we deserved after that. Remember that West Ham were well on top at the time they were awarded their winner and it was probably only a matter of time even if the assistant hadn't intervened.

The officials were incompetent but so were most of our players.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Never seen anything like the decision for the 2nd "goal" in all my time watching football and probably never will again.

Zura's goal against Bolton that wasn't. Yesterdays takes the biscuit though, handball, offside and the ball doesn't cross the line. GOAL. He made that decision bloody quick too.

Agree with the sentiments of the post though. I had a feeling in my old bones that Rovers would put in another collective "I can't be arsed performance" against a struggling team. Tottenham showed the way to do it with their demolition of Watford.

John Williams take note. This one of the reasons why only 17,000 turned up.

AESM spells the history of Rovers and bottom clubs, no one should have been surprised by the result. I had the same feeling as jim, about the players attitude, that and the stupid 5-15 kick off, I decided "I cant be arsed to go"

Some posts suggest that heads dropped after the penalty and the goal that wasnt, well thats no excuse, these are so called professionals, heck they only have break sweat for 90min once or twice a week.

MGP had another one of those days and certainly missed two chances he would have put away had he been on top of his game.

On the balance of play, we could and should have been three up before any of the Webb/Devine incidents. It is also worth remembering Webb was very whistle happy all game and allowed no advantages or flow whatsoever vwhich clearly went against Rovers.

Interesting that the press today are giving Webb Ham a harder time of it than they did in the Sundays:

Tangled Webb in the Telegraph

Independent dwells on post-match comment

Penalty probably wasn't, goal definitely wasn't in The Guardian. They also highlight the nonsensical sending off fo Bentley.

Alan Nixon in The Mirror calls for Devine to be banned

"incomprehensively inept" The Times

I feel my immediate post-match outburst against Webb is rather vindicated having read these reports.

Before the week-end, I was confident we would be level on points with Everton. Now we are six points behind.

Had we won the four games against the relegation placed teams, we would have been ecstatic with Everton's win as a Chapions League place challenge would be very much on. Such is the nature of following the Rovers.

Talk about winning gracefully...Curbishley with his couldn't care, we've not had any luck in the last few games.attitude..and he pointed out the Spurs game..Sorry you pillock, but this is totally different, cos you're defence went awol against spurs in the last seconds....thats not bad luck you prat, its bad defending....!!!!!!

I can't wait to see them relegated!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

I'm more angry about the team than the officials. Yes, we were robbed of a point, but it should have been academic. If we'd played the whole game like we did the first half hour we'd have won easily, no matter what the officials did.

How on earth can Blackburn Rovers players be complacent? How can they think that they don't have to match the oppositions effort and commitment to get a result? I was stunned at our collective arrogance once we'd gone a goal up and we got exactly what we deserved after that. Remember that West Ham were well on top at the time they were awarded their winner and it was probably only a matter of time even if the assistant hadn't intervened.

The officials were incompetent but so were most of our players.

Agree Scotty but still livid at the ferkin useless officials and I think we were robbed of three points but we can only blame ourselves as we should have been out of sight even before any of the shenanigans began.

I have said it all season about how our complacency and lack of urgency to kill teams off and about how showboating with the ball would cost us - and as for McCarthy - did he play? Both strikers where poor but at least Derbyshire tried - McCarthy needs dropping and Roberts given the starting berth to give him the big kick up his lazy fat arse as what I can see if it ain't made easy he can't be bothered - yes he has scored the goals but we need more and to me people are being blinded by his little flicks etc but he is doing bugger all else.

I have posted previously about when we actually last played well at home - yet Saturday thought at least for 1/2 hour that it was going to be it but as others said the players seemed to think it was going to be a stroll in the park and said at half time I hope that our misses didn't come back to bite us, and look what happened. Except for the Brad, the defence and possibly Dunn and Roberts when he came on - the rest where simply not good enough.

And here's one for Abs - Septic Kayos was present again on Saturday - I said before the match they would get a dubious penalty and that somebody would be sent off and it would more than likely be one of ours.

As for Lucas - more fool those who booed or called him- he had the last laugh.

Gutted.

Cant believe what happened. Not even angry, gone way past that to the point of apathy really. Ive only browsed a few of the pages on here but has no-one linked these sort of things to the decline in Prem gates in general. If they dont fix this (and its not a 1 off - you just have to think back to Wigan - Arsenal) soon then its going to start making me wonder about bothering with football. I love my team and think the pricing policy is brilliant and am very proud of them, but will I continue to watch football when the game is ruined in this way much longer? Dont know. This isnt a knee jerk reaction before someone jumps on me. Already got my season ticket app in for next season. If this isnt fixed over the next couple of seasons though I honestly dont know if ill still want to watch any game of football. If it has this effect on me then whats it going to do to the drop ins.

It won't make ant difference but taken from Philips links.........

From the Telegraph

“In an era when mistakes, by players and officials, can cost millions, surely it is high time for the introduction of video technology. Without it, Webb and his assistant Jim Devine appeared incompetent after two ridiculous second-half decisions transformed a routine Blackburn victory into a potentially crucial three points for West Ham. A third crazy decision, when Webb dismissed Blackburn's David Bentley for handball after he had clearly been shoved off balance by Lucas Neill, summed up a day that left 101 holes in the argument against video replays.The first blunder, when Webb awarded a 72nd-minute penalty after Carlos Tevez had tumbled to the ground following a fair challenge by Brett Emerton, was wrong on the basis that there was simply no contact.

The second, four minutes after Tevez had scored from the spot, was the hardest to fathom. Webb and Devine had three reasons not to give a goal when Bobby Zamora's shot had gone through a packed six-yard box before hitting Tevez on the line. Despite a Lee Bowyer handball, Tevez standing in an offside position and then the Argentinian stopping the ball on the goal-line, the 'goal' stood.”

From the Mirror

It was an incident so scandalous Blackburn Rovers should send the tape to FIFA and demand the immediate introduction of goalline technology to get some form of satisfaction from this injustice.

The Premier League have to ban linesman Jim Devine until he gets his eyes tested after he awarded the Hammers a winner from a shot accidentally blocked by Carlos Tevez standing in an offside position on the Rovers line.

There has to be a tonic to make those who want to see fair play, never mind those already counting the potential cost, feel better. In short, in future there must be cameras in the goal at least.”

From the Times

“Exhibit A - not to mention exhibits B through to D in the argument for video replays were in plain view for all at Ewood Park, although, given the almost incomprehensibly inept displays of Howard Webb, the referee, and Jim Devine, his assistant, on Saturday, it is doubtful whether the officials would have got it right even with the aid of technology.

......Webb completed his catalogue of errors in injury time when he sent off David Bentley for handball, his second caution, even though the Blackburn winger had been pushed into the ball by Lucas Neill. Even the most cursory glance at a television monitor would have reversed all three decisions.

From the Independent

Jim Devine.....

“A drugs squad detective with Cleveland Police, he qualified as a referee when he was 19 and has officiated in European Championship qualifying matches. He can hardly be accused of being a rookie.”

As I earlier mentioned these people have never kicked a ball in anger in their bloody lives!

The papers are condemning the officials on Sat for all they are worth but could you even imagine the levels that this hue and cry would have reached if the victims were MU, Chelsea or Arsenal? Hang on! What am I saying? Devine and Webb would just never ever have considered giving those 3 decisions against those clubs in their wildest dreams would they? [/b]

Jim Devine's address is ......................No I'll not tell you but I could as he's married to my cousin! If you feel bad about yesterday imagine how my family will feel having to meet him at family events. One thing I'd be sure of is that he was not paid anything to make those rubbish decisions yesterday. It's just down to sheer incompetence on the day. To get one wrong is careless but to get more wrong is just the sign of someone who, however reluctant he'd be to do so, should retire now.

Maybe that hoary old chestnut once commonly shouted from the terraces " get your eyes tested ref/linesman" is applicable in this case?

harsh.

the 'penalty' changed the game.

*having watched it countless times, it's impossible to know whether tevez slipped or emo's trailing leg caught him, so the linesman couldn't in any way be sure.

having the help from 'rank bad decisions' was the only way west ham were ever going get into the game, never mind win it!

conceding any goal against a team you're expected to beat, obviously creates it's own pressures - and, if you add anger and injustice into the mix...... it's very hard to rediscover your focus.

any impetus rovers might have built back up, was stopped by the referee and the award of numerous petty and dubious free-kicks.

saturday's officiating was undoubtedly the worst i have ever witnessed and was bad that it now renders courtney, ashby, gifford, willard and halsey insignificant, to me anyway. (although i'm not excusing their decisions, but at least you could mount some kind of defence for them, however flimsy.)

I would excuse Stephen Warnock and the big black beast Christopher Samba from any criticism. They both displayed good effort and commitment.

Is his skin colour relevant ? Why not little white weed Stephen Warnock ?

Dont be so pathetic Jim. His skin colour is indeed irrelevent but in AESF's post equally irrelevent is his size and his description as a beast is probably the most offensive. You might have spotted that if you did not have such a heavily agenda'd outlook.

I would have thought that you of anybody on here would have recognised alliteration as a valid literary technique. Obviously I'd be wrong. If you so desperately want to be a mod then please apply through the correct channels.

btw Just why on earth do you imagine that Christophe Samba would ever be insulted by AESF's description when taken in context anyway?

“A drugs squad detective with Cleveland Police,

I'd be suggesting that his superiors should be checking if theres any missing evidence, as it appeared he was hallucinating throughout the match. Criminals set to be convicted due to his eyewitness evidence could probably use the video in court to show he hasnt a clue what he is seeing.

To follow up on AESM point re performance agianst bottom 3 sides.

Rovers have consistently underachieved against weaker opponents. Since returning to the Premiership in 2001 our record vs bottom three is:-

P 34 W 11 D 9 L 14 GF 42 GA 36 PTS 42 (from 102).

We seem to have an achilles heel which Souness and now Hughes cannot solve - why?

Have Webb and Devine appologised or accounted for themselves in any way? Will they be censured by The FA/Premiership for thier breathtaking incompetance?

They'll be f***ing over somebody elses weekend next week.

Jim Devine .......

"I have not had chance to look at the tape myself but from what I understand the television pictures show that the ball did not cross the line," said Devine, who is Fifa-qualified, has been a Premiership assistant for 14 years and ran the line at the 2005 FA Cup final. "The match officials had a discussion [about it] with Mark Hughes and his assistant in the dressing room after the game and what was said I would prefer to leave there.

"I would rather look at the tape before I comment but what I can say is that I made a decision based on what I believed had happened, as I always do. Once I have seen it again, if there is anything that can be learnt from it I will take it forward. I'm not one to court attention or seek the right to reply to criticism. I just like to get on with my job. When you are criticised you just have to take it as part of the job."

Cue standard answer when in deep sh1t....... 'I have not had a chance to look at the tape myself'. :rolleyes: Presumably when he does finally <_< manage to view it he too will become a staunch supporter of video refereeing too.

Dont be so pathetic Jim. His skin colour is indeed irrelevent but in Tris's post equally irrelevent is his size and his description as a beast is probably the most offensive.

btw Just why on earth do you imagine that Christophe Samba would ever be insulted by Tris's description when taken in context anyway?

Don't get me involved!!! I think you mean AESF!!

To follow up on AESM point re performance agianst bottom 3 sides.

Rovers have consistently underachieved against weaker opponents. Since returning to the Premiership in 2001 our record vs bottom three is:-

P 34 W 11 D 9 L 14 GF 42 GA 36 PTS 42 (from 102).

How on earth did you manage to gather that data? Or is it our performances against the 3 ultimately relegated clubs?

i havent been on here since the match so i havent had chance to read all of the previous posts...

It is performances like this, not from Rovers, but from the officials, which are afffecting attendances. It is becoming all to frequent that they have a a poor game, getting the big decisions wrong, and costing teams points through their ineptness. This is THE reason why i have stopped going recently, and why i will most likely not buy a season ticket next term....because all too often i go away from the ground seething that we have been cheated by the officials.

Im sick and tired of these people being untouchable, immmune from criticism from managers and players, and not having to account for their actions. Webb summed it up when in his post match interview he said he didnt want to talk about aspects of the game...WHY THE HELL ARE YOU HERE THEN??!!TO TALK ABOUT THE WEATHER!!!TO$$ER!!!!

Jim Devine .......

"I made a decision based on what I believed had happened, as I always do.

Hung drawn and quartered!!!

Exactly what I have been saying for donkeys - what they believe they see and not what they actually see.

Their mind is already made up - think the FA need to go back and actually watch the games he has been officiating in - but we all know they won't :angry:

I'm still livid this morning about Mr Devine's perforfance. I was sat directly in line behind him, virtually over his shoulder and the ball DID NOT cross the line!

Medication is not working so I've just sent the following email to, The FA Premier League, The FA (ulitimate jurisdiction of all footballing matters in England), Professional Games Match Officials Limited (Hacketts mob), Blackburn Rovers (shareholders of the FA Premier League). I don't expect a reply but now feel remarkably calmer (and relax)!

Dear Sirs

I wish to enquire what, if any, action the Board of the FA Premier League intend taking against Mr J Devine following his what can only be kindly described as an inept performance in last Saturday's match. Without going over the major incidents in the above match, I am sure you have procedures in place to monitor all your matches, however it can be fairly stated that the result centred on the performance of the assistant referee Jim Devine.

I would not wish to use the "cheat", or nor would I wish to imply that his decision making was in any way influenced by any possible personal financial incentives he may have received. However in view of the reputation (Lord Stevens Report into football corruption) football has acquired in recent times, I feel it is imperative that you the governing body ensure that the integrity of our game is protected, in such serious circumstances such as these.

I understand that you concede your responsibility for officiating your FA Premier League matches to the "Professional Games Match Officials Limited", who in the first instance are responsible for maintaining standards of their officials. As has so obviously been the case in the incidents surrounding Mr Devine last Saturday, he quite obviously has fallen way short of the necessary standards. I assume that they take some form of action against any of their employees when they have performed their duties in such a poor manner?

Despite the match referee Mr Howard Webb in my opinion having only at best an average game, I do not hold him responsible as I feel that he was badly let down by Mr Devine. One can make allowances and sympathise for circumstances where the official fails to see an incident for example if the ball went over the line but he failed to see this, but seeing something that plainly did not happen? I'm sure you would agree that David Bentley's second yellow card was regrettably, after he was clearly pushed whilst in mid air, however as no appeals against yellow cards are permitted, it is unfortunate but acceptable that he must now accept his one game ban.

I will be very interested to see what action PGMOL will be taking against Mr Devine. I would not expect him to be officiating in any of your League games again this season and certainly not in matches concerning Blackburn Rovers or West Ham United. Likewise again due to the seriousness of his actions I would expect you (FAPL) to make a public statement to protect the integrity of the League.

As a season ticket holder of Blackburn Rovers I could I am sure look into the possibility of legal action against you, were in circumstances I could argue that I have suffered a financial loss. An action where you the custodians of the League fail to take the necessary steps to protect what is regarded as the best league football competition. I shall await a response from you, while I consider what action if any I feel I might be able to take.

Could I request you to forward this email to PGMOL for their comments?

I have forwarded this directly to one of your shareholders, Blackburn Rovers, who I sincerely hope, raise this directly with you.

Likewise due to your League coming under the jurisdiction of The FA, I have forwarded it to them also and would appreciate their comments.

Yesterday I was so angry that I had to be talked out of waiting for the referee and his sidekicks and running them over (and reversing for good measure- a few times.)

I contented myself with writing a letter to the FA, although I am, in scottish parlance, absolutely bielin' after yesterday. All of my workmates are West Ham fans. I've had no reaction- I suspect they know they'd be offered physical violence (which if offered in a strong Glaswegian accent shuts most people up- even boys!!!) and chinese burns hurt!

Mmm... so who was the Chavscum then here mi lady??

And what was that about life is too short to worry?

Bit of kettle black pot imo - Where's Abs and gazimm? :lol:

Jim Devine .......

"

"I would rather look at the tape before I comment but what I can say is that I made a decision based on what I believed had happened, as I always do. "

Well that's his problem. If that's his approach, he should be withdrawn from the list of officials.

He BELIEVED the ball went for a corner. He BELIEVED the ball was over the line. He shouldn't judge incidents that way, he should give what he SEES.

Jesus, how long's he been doing this job?

Archived