BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Club Shop ?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be very firmly in the camp which wants to see a quality club shop assocciated with Blackburn Rovers. I think though it is fraught with difficulty and hope the club have thought this through to way beyond the stage of satisfying moaning fans.

A few years back the club held a rummage sale of old stock in the BBE concourse, it would have been early this century so perhaps 6-7 or more years after the championship season. The range of old stock was astonishing and clearly demonstrated the dangers of running the sort of shop fans want to see. Even at our most recent peak the club had trouble shifting any volume of merchandise. The reality is demand for Rovers related merchandise is not great. Perhaps we could shift 5 or even 10,000 mini-kits in a season but it won't even begin to pay the electric bill let alone wages.

I'd love to be able to buy some quality Rovers clothing but I'm not sure a large club shop would be anything but a drain on the club's resources.

I'd love to be able to buy some quality Rovers clothing but I'm not sure a large club shop would be anything but a drain on the club's resources.

Not sure that is what people actually want Paul, or my conception of it anyway.

Thinks its just a case of having an outlet for the basic things - scarf/flag /tee shirts /mini kits etc and not the all the other different regalia that flooded the shelves and what was on sale in the sell off you have posted about.

The point I wanted to make, and probably didn't do very well, was I'm not sure the current size of the club shop is sustainable. I'm unlikely to buy a replica shirt, though I might buy one from time to time for the kids (certainly not every season), but I would buy something like a mini-kit. The trouble is mini-kits at £2.50 or so are not going to make sufficient to run the shop at anything like a profit. If / when the club regains control of the shop the management need to be very careful about the size and scope of the offer. If doesn't run at a profit the whole thing becomes a real problem.

I do believe there is a need for some quality merchandise. I don't want to wear a shirt to the match, but I do want to wear something which clearly identifies me as a Rover. I have a polo shirt which is around 15 years old and a sweat shirt of similar vintage, both are in surprisingly good condition and I wear them to every game. I would happily buy a quality sweatshirt etc with a woven club crest or similar but I would never buy the sort of cheap tat that starts to deteriorate after the first wash. It looks awful and is a waste of money, it's why I never shop at SWI.

There are too many other sources for the club shop to compete with nowadays ..You just dont need to get your stuff from there anymore..I aslo sympathise that what they stock do have is dictated by what has been manufactured and what they can get their hands on..An example of this the the goalies shirt..The black one in an adult size was never made apparently

An operation with the turnover the size of Blackburn Rovers must surely be capable of operating a small shop that can supply what its fans want without it being a significant drain on it's resources. I manage to run a business that manages it so I'm sure Rovers could !

• 3 weeks later...

On my latest long-distance pilgrimage last week, I took the family to the 'club shop' and thought I would seek their unbiased opinion.

Amazingly, given the location on the BBE outside concourse, only four club crests on the outside, a 12 foot mosaic club crest on the floor and a forty foot BLACKBURN ROVERS on the wall, they initially thought they were in a club shop rather than the 423rd branch of Sportsworld. Until they saw the goods on offer of course, when the illusion became clearer.

Needless to say, with the only Rovers branded items being giant foam hands and woollen hats, it was a completely depressing experience for all of us. although my daughter and I did buy the current away kit, which we could have tracked down over here.

I can image Rovers were losing money on retail, but not because money can't be made supplying fans with a serviceable range of mugs, mini-kits and the like. It is perhaps because they firstly built a shop that was too small, then went and built another one that was too large, then sold that shop to a retailer of tat, and then didn't either write a watertight contract or police it, or more likely both.

Seeing as SWL are such an insensitive and unresponsive monolith, I am sure all connected with Rovers derived a wry-satisfaction in doing the double over Ashley's Newcastle. Perhaps we can cite the club shop as aggravating circumstances in the FA Disciplinary Hearing?

• 5 weeks later...

i haven't been able to get to ewood much this season due to work, but i managed to get to the spurs game 2 weeks ago, so i visited our wonderful club shop. I must say i find it amazing how little rovers gear we actually sell. OK, our kit prices are very good, but thats about it!

I went in there in desperate need of a new goalkeepers top, and much to my suprise there wasn't any left! So i asked at the counter to which i was told that there are none left and there will be no more - ever! I no we are nearly at the end of the season, but surely i should be able to purchase one of these as the season is not yet at an end?

Anyway, does anybody know where i can get one of these from? I'm after the vlack gk shirt in a medium mens if possible - i have search high and low on the net and i just can't find one :angry2:

As i'm not based in blackburn i don't know if any of the shops in the town would have these in stock? Can someone please possibly help me!! ?? :rover:

cheers

Mmm, I asked a while back only Roversmum could come up with anything at all

As then, they do little kits, I think the first size is 12-18months they are only £5 for last season's kit at the moment. They look really cute too. Would love to see my new granddaughter kitted out in Rovers gear but sadly she is likely to be in Arse stuff :angry: . Still to make up for it I bought my 8 year old granddaughter her first Rovers kit and she was delighted - hope to get her first season ticket for next season :D !

Is an Arsenal kit worse than a nuremburg one? Our new little grandson, born today, has at least got Rovers' cot bumpers so we're starting him off right but whether mum or dad will win out in the battle of the kits remains to be seen

hi all,

I agree it is a disgrace the lack of rovers gear in the shop I am still on the lookout for the rovers decanter and glasses, breakfast bowl and other bits and bobs every other prem club shop has them we are the only prem club with a rymans league club shop they need to sort it out if anyone can help with any of the items wouldbe very interested anyway hopefully this situation will be sorted before next season

Laters all.

Well, regardless of what I read on the official site someone at the club did tell me last week that the lease on the store is up for renewal soon so hopefully it won't be renewed. I'd settle for a small range of Rovers related goods with all profits going to the club rather than what we get now. I'd have liked to buy bibs, babygrows etc like you could before but will have to wait till baby gets big enough for his first kit.

Hi all,

could Lee clear up something for me is it true that from next season the club shop will be owned by rovers and have proper rovers merchandise if so that would be good any chance of breakfast bowls etc.

laters all.

I think it's been said a few times, but feel free to correct me if i am incorrect, rovers have a long term deal with Sports World and the shop will not be returning to us in the near future. It would not make financial sense for us to buy it back either as we make more in there rent than we do from selling our merch.

Hope this helps.

I think it's been said a few times, but feel free to correct me if i am incorrect, rovers have a long term deal with Sports World and the shop will not be returning to us in the near future. It would not make financial sense for us to buy it back either as we make more in there rent than we do from selling our merch.

Hope this helps.

If we are sold to a new investor I would imagine they would buy out of this, especially if it's the JJB fellow. Even if it's just wishful thinking to sell more merchandise than the rent earned, it has to be worth a punt for someone who knows so much about sportswear.

If we are sold to a new investor I would imagine they would buy out of this, especially if it's the JJB fellow. Even if it's just wishful thinking to sell more merchandise than the rent earned, it has to be worth a punt for someone who knows so much about sportswear.

If, it's a big if, Ronnie takes over then i would assume Ashley would let us off the contract buy out and just give us the shop.

I would like to see us have a shop again but not if it's going to cost us a fair chunk of money.

Archived