BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Roeder Sacked

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Incidentally, I see that Damien Duff sits at 59th on the list of British sportsmen on the Sunday Times Rich List with £12m.

No doubt it's contributed massively to him appearing to be near the top of the British sportsmens 'Comfort zone' too. I'd say he was jousting with Mido and Shevchenko for the number 1 spot.

What is it with the Newcastle United vs Blackburn Rovers fixture, the last 2 seasons we've beaten them and after the games thier manager either gets the sack or like today he resigned, i'm sure its not that embarrasing losing to us is it?

Exactly what I was thinking. Fans seem to protest quite regularly when we beat them.

Well i guess from Hughesy's perspective:

Pros

Bigger transfer buget

More star players

Better attacking talent

More long term chance of sustainability at the top of the table. Theoretically, with the right management, could win the title a few years down the line

Higher salary (?)

Higher profile job/more fans

Cons

Rovers much much better run

Invested himself heavily into building a squad that could concievably finish top six next season.

Good relationship with players (particularly Nelsen and Savage)

Tieing himself to Newcastle would close his options for Man Utd/Chelsea for a while

Newcastle have a hideous defensive problem

Poor record for managers who have previously gone there (huge list of careers that have been destroyed on tyneside)

Large amount of star players could make it difficult to start afresh with new faces.

Large debt? (Not sure he would really care about that, providing the cash was there for transfers)

Has a personal connection to blackburn, not to newcastle.

On balance I think he will stay. Apprehension about the way Newcastle have hurt managers careers has to be a massive factor for a man of his ambition, as does the fact that it really looks like next season is when all his hard work looks like it will come to fruition.

We need to face facts here. Newcastle are one of the few clubs in the league who could break the Champions League monopoly that the big 4 clubs currently hold. They have the stadium, they have the support, and they seem to have the transfer funds. All it needs is for the Newcastle chairman to appoint the right manager, and stick with him, and they would have a great chance.

I can think of no better manager than Hughes to do the job for them. And I couldn't blame him for taking the job if it was offered as it's hard to see how he could achieve a similar level of success with us.

The good news is that the Newcastle chairman has consistently picked the wrong manager for the last decade, and that there seems to be a suitable candidate for the job currently out of work at the moment. However, if Fat Freddie has a sudden flash of inspiration and knocks on Rovers' door then I'm not sure there's much we could do about it.

Papers speculating already....

Now the United job is vacant other candidates could emerge, including Blackburn boss Mark Hughes and UEFA Cup and La Liga championship challenging Sevilla boss Juande Ramos.

I dont think Hughes would be interested but If he were to go then I dont think I could stomach the barcodes taking our manager again and I really do mean that.When will these manager's learn that regarless of how big the club, support, f'kin ground is the grass is not always greener on the other side.One vital ingredient so missing from these bigger clubs is a lack of support and patience from the board and investors.

Personally I cannot see Hughes going to any team other than Manchester United.

I agree Jordan.

Hughesy will probably bide his time with Blackburn and keep pushing us as far as he can and as soon as the Manchester United vacancy becomes available, then he's there.

No sympathy for the Geordies or indeed Mr Roeder.

Roeder, must have been aware of the huge task facing him after receiving special dispensation from the Premier League despite not having the requisite qualifications. All in all, their last manager Mr Souness could have worked wonders with them, if they would have stood by him for longer.

Personally I cannot see Hughes going to any team other than Manchester United.

I think the decision to sack Roeder is fairly harsh especially with the amount of injuries which has team have had this season. From speaking with a few Newcastle fans yesterday I got the impression that they were of the same opinion.

Didnt Hughes also once say that he only wants to manage teams he's played for?

I don't think Sparky will be going anywhere, just yet.

He has higher ambitions, and I'm sure he'll hold out for either the Chelsea or Man United jobs ,if they ever arise.

It just seems a big coincidence Big Sam packing in at Bolton,and not waiting to see the season out, and now ratface gets the chop ,when that would of been better waiting till enfd off season,.

I'll be very surprised if Big Sam doesn't walk into St James Park ,very soon.

Hughes wont leave yet because he is already looking forward to next season with 'his' squad as he has built a very talented squad.

I think Hughes would prefer to win a cup or something with us before moving on.

The next job for Hughes is at Old Trafford or Chelsea.

Newcastle possibilities - claudio ranieri, houlier, sven, allardyce, dowie

Hate the club also hate their fans. They are the most arrogant and fickle bunch going. They turn on their own players if they mis-place a pass no wonder the players always seem so tentative & nervous at St James’s park.

Then we have this perceived notion that Newcastle should be challenging for the major honours as there a massive club with a huge fan base. If their so big surely they would of won something in last half-century, they have no-divine right to win or challenge anything they are not a big club- look at little old rovers- we beat them hands down in terms of financial stability, ( fat Fred has got the Toon in some 70-80n mill of debt as the supporters demand big name signings and to keep up with the big boys in the prem), training facilities , youth system, management/backroom staff, the list goes on . Ok they get big gates however they should get big gates they have a catchments area of over 500,00 with their nearest pro club some 15-20 miles away now contrast that with rovers who have about 8 clubs in the same radius ( that includes 4 of the biggest clubs in Britain).

No way will sparky take hell-hole of a job he is far to astute for that he is waiting for fergie or Mourinho to go

Newcastle is a football managers graveyard as far as I'm concerned. The club will do nothing until they get rid of Shepherd and the board, and lose their unfounded superiority complex about being a 'big' club. Big ground + big crowds do not = big club.

Expect Allardyce to be given the job, and expect him to walk away next summer after another trophyless season. Newcastle have been in freefall since they sacked Bobby Robson. Has anyone wondered why Roeder was given the job after Souey was chopped ? Perhaps no bugger else wanted it ! Lets face it, he hardly had the most stunning managerial record did he ?

As for Hughes, he could go. Everyone keeps saying he will go to Man Utd in a couple of years, but consider these facts :

1) Ferguson has vowed to stay on, and

2) A certain Roy Keane at Sunderland is suddenly looking a very competent manager.

Hughes may feel he has done all he can with Rovers, and needs a 'bigger', more media friendly club to show his true potential. Taking a failing Barcodes team to a trophy and/or Europe would look much better on his CV should he ever apply for the Utd job.

Accyrover

We need to face facts here. Newcastle are one of the few clubs in the league who could break the Champions League monopoly that the big 4 clubs currently hold. They have the stadium, they have the support, and they seem to have the transfer funds. All it needs is for the Newcastle chairman to appoint the right manager, and stick with him, and they would have a great chance.

I can think of no better manager than Hughes to do the job for them. And I couldn't blame him for taking the job if it was offered as it's hard to see how he could achieve a similar level of success with us.

The good news is that the Newcastle chairman has consistently picked the wrong manager for the last decade, and that there seems to be a suitable candidate for the job currently out of work at the moment. However, if Fat Freddie has a sudden flash of inspiration and knocks on Rovers' door then I'm not sure there's much we could do about it.

Thats all true, but a number of decent managers have gone to Newcastle and all it has done for them is seriously damage their prospects. While I do honestly believe that Hughes is better than the likes of Souness, Keegan, Guillit, Roeder etc. he will also be perceptive enough to see there are going to be a number of things working against him at St James' Park which are absent at Rovers.

If his long term goal is to get into Old Trafford, or win the major competitions, it probably makes more sense to stick with Rovers. If he can finish top four to six next season he will be considered as a hot managerial property. With Newcastle he would probably be looking at a season of rebuilding before he could seriously start challenging.

I can see the attraction of Newcastle but there are also serious problems. It would be a risky move for Hughes to take, and I don't think Sparky likes risks, especially when he has an option in Rovers thats stable and works.

If he did go it would be disasterous as I think we would see Nelsen and Savage certainly ,and maybe the likes of Bentley and McCarthy, follow him, plus the majority of the backroom staff.

As previous posters have said, I believe Hughes would be mental to take on the Newcastle job. It's a nuthouse up there with all the expectations of inning every game, demanding a 30 goal a season number 9, and the arrogance of thinking they're a big club. And I haven't even mentioned the chairman yet! One day the debts will start to bite, and there will be no more chances of signing players on £60,000 p/w contracts.

One crumb of comfort is that Freddie has made random choices as manager. For example, a year or two ago Steve Bruce or Allardyce were definately going to be the new manager....................and then he brought in Souness, despite us being sh_t at that time.

I think the best thing they can do at Newcastle, is to let the fans decide,and listen to what they want.

It worked for us, when we got Sparky,he was always the fans first choice.

I Can imagine Bruce at Newcastle, he never stops moaning lol,he've be ideal compition for the moaning fans at Newcastle.

He might even buy Savage back lol.

If we beat Preston and become champions, they won't present the trophy on an away ground, they'll send it by parcel force..hahaha........best laugh i've had in ages. :lol:

Big Sam favourite, but I'm sure Shearer would be the fans choice.

I'm confident Hughes won't leave us now. He is only a couple of signings away from having created a very solid team who could win something next season. I'll put my money on him staying!

I wonder how long that will last?

My guess is quite a long time.

The last decent manager they had was Sir Bobby Robson, and he got five years at it. Since then they've had Souness and Roeder...not a surprise that they haven't lasted really.

As Scotty mentioned earlier, it's a great job for the right manager. They always back their managers with funds and still manage to attract big names despite constant failure (Owen, Duff, Martins etc). They have great attacking options, who better than Big Sam to rid them of defensive errors at the back?

I think it will take him more than one season to get there, but I think Newcastle can get close to the big four should Allardyce take over. For the record, I also think they'd reach that level if Hughes was given the job.

Archived