BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] What's The Deal With Setanta

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before and I'm sure to annoy someone because I haven't trawled through every thread on the board looking for the answer... etc. etc...

Prem plus is now no more and I noticed that Setanta were advertising live games.

I also saw that whilst Sky only have one Rovers match in the first few months of the season (according to my tv guide this week) Setanta have about four I think.

According to Virgin Media customer service, the Setanta package is £15 a month whereas from last season Sky was about £20 for just one channel as I remember.

On the surface this would make Setanta a better deal (as watching Rover's games naturally comes as a priority)

I don't want to be paying for both Sky Sports AND Setanta so I was wondering whether anyone else had subscribed to Setanta and could tell me what they offer, what sorts of programs to expect. Are they on the air 24/7? Apart from the live games, what else do they have? Is it any good? Is it worth me ditching Sky Sports in favour of Setanta?

Can anyone help me out? (My tv guide doesn't show their listings!)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The full setanta package includes 9 channels I think.

£15 per month through Sky

£10 per month through Freeview, not sure how it is connected, card for set-top box?

And the best thing on Freeview its not a 12 month contract, whereas I think it is a minimum 12 month contract on Sky

Setanta

Sunday's game persuaded me to purchase Setanta's sports package which is 15 p.m. on Virgin. (I think it may be only 10p.m. on Freeview or Sky)

For this you get 9 channels in total. Some rubbish but football English Premier League wise I understood it to be roughly the equivalent of the Sky PPV games last season. There is also extensive SPL coverage if that floats your boat.

It has added value for me because you also get the American golf tournaments which have also come off Sky, but to get the main bulk of Sky's EPL football output you'd still need the Sky subscription.

I think. :blink:

The full setanta package includes 9 channels I think.

£15 per month through Sky

£10 per month through Freeview, not sure how it is connected, card for set-top box?

And the best thing on Freeview its not a 12 month contract, whereas I think it is a minimum 12 month contract on Sky

Setanta

According to the website its only £9.99 on satelite and no 12 month contract although you do need to give 30 days notice to cancel.

You will need a freeview box with a card slot to watch it on freeview, although you can receive it on broadband for only £7.99/month not sure how good the quality will be.

It also has the north american sports network with baseball pretty much every day, nfl, afl, college football and major league lacrosse (haha), it has the Australian rugby league, and all gaelic games. You can also watch Celtic TV or Rangers TV.

According to the website its only £9.99 on satelite and no 12 month contract although you do need to give 30 days notice to cancel.

You will need a freeview box with a card slot to watch it on freeview, although you can receive it on broadband for only £7.99/month not sure how good the quality will be.

it's £15 a month when bought using the sky remote, or £9.99 when bought through the website.

virgin have a new deal for xl tv customers. setanta will be FREE from 26th of July.

If you have M or L sized tv then it'll only be £8 a month!

Source Digital Spy

The cable group says this is not a "one-off" offer, and the extra channels - Setanta Sports 1, Setanta Sports 2, Setanta Golf, Racing UK, Celtic TV and Rangers TV - will form part of Virgin Media's TV XL package on an ongoing basis from July 26.

I am a happy man now! :rover:

virgin have a new deal for xl tv customers. setanta will be FREE from 26th of July.

If you have M or L sized tv then it'll only be £8 a month!

Source Digital Spy

I am a happy man now! :rover:

What a result! That'll save me a fortune going to the pub/subscribing!

I've been a bit miffed with Virgin previously, but they've come up trumps here!

:)

Have been subscribing with Setanta for ages now, mainly for the NASN american sports (ice hockey in particular), but well happy that they've now got Prem footy. Wasn't really a tough decision to sack Sky Sports off, needed to cut things down anyway, plus I'm none too pleased with their bias towards the 'bigger' clubs.

What a result! That'll save me a fortune going to the pub/subscribing!

I've been a bit miffed with Virgin previously, but they've come up trumps here!

:)

me too!! i havent subscribed to setanta yet (was goign to tonight). i wonder whether i'll be made to pay £15 til the 26th? or get a reduced rate for the 6 days?

god bless streaming :P

Do you know what, I thought exactly the same thing when reading this thread.

I would have paid the £50 for prem plus as normal but I am not paying £10 per month for this.

Anyway, it will be every blokes excuss to get to the boozer :D

Great news also for me too . I am assumimg current XL package holders will get it free!? However that doesnt solve Sundays problem. Does anyone know where the match is being covered in the local area?

They are showing it in the Blues

Great news also for me too . I am assumimg current XL package holders will get it free!? However that doesnt solve Sundays problem. Does anyone know where the match is being covered in the local area?

That's great news. Rang Virgin today to tell them to get their fingers out and bingo!!!

XL is only £9 per month

I suspect the TV football split between Sky, Setanta and Virgin will eventually benefit the consumer as the EU presumably intended it to. Nothing like a bit of competition to bring down prices.

http://www.virginmedia.com/sport/football/...ess-release.php

it's £15 a month when bought using the sky remote, or £9.99 when bought through the website.

Thanks for that - was going to go through the remote but re-thought plans.

Does anyone know if its an instant subscription. ie - can I subscribe on Sunday afternoon for the match or am I better getting it sorted his evening?

Thanks for that - was going to go through the remote but re-thought plans.

Does anyone know if its an instant subscription. ie - can I subscribe on Sunday afternoon for the match or am I better getting it sorted his evening?

When I did it the other night, I had the channels within 15 minutes. It says that at peak times it might be up to an hour

Archived