• Warnock
    • Bentley
    • Dunn
    • Savage
    • Pedersen
    • Santa Cruz
    • McCarthy

eeverton9hx.jpg

Ok, for this preview I was going to go through the previous history between the two clubs but that has been done before. So, instead I have asked my Toffee friend Richard Collister for his views on Rovers.

Before we get to the bog standard questions, I have asked him for some general points on Rovers - so here they are:-

I'd not really thought too much about your team in too much detail.

I've always rated Friedel and can't think of too many keepers anywhere that I'd rather have.

Defensively Nelsen has been class for you since he joined, every team needs a rock solid centre back to have any chance of doing well.

Didn't see a huge amount of Samba but he did look good in the bits I did see. Don't rate Emerton in any position to be honest, think he's a real weak point in your defence especially. Likewise I'm not sure about Warnock, I'm sure you always get full effort from him but I don't think he's got much ability and could be another weakness, especially in giving away silly free-kicks etc.

Savage is like Carsley - you can't understand how he gets picked but then we he's not playing there's something not right. Tugay I've always liked but he does seem to be off the pace now, although he can still ping a great ball around the park. Bentley is someone who I'm yet to be convinced by - I've always thought of him as someone who does very little but will score the odd spectacular goal. He was much better than that last season, and I think this season will be where he proves if he really is a good player or not. Pedersen is one that I'm not sure what to make of. He seems to have a run of 5 or 6 games every season where he scores a few amazing goals, but I get the impression he doesn't offer a lot more than this. To be honest, I think that's the reason that no one has really made any effort to buy him. I just hope his amazing run comes at a time when you don't play us.

Up front, you'll be fine as long as McCarthy stays fit. You could play anyone with him and you would have a decent strikeforce. However if he gets injured then I think you'd be in real trouble - Roberts I've always liked, but can't see him getting any more than 10 a season. Santa Cruz is unknown, can't see him doing that much given his past record. Derbyshire looks like he can finish, but I think he might be a Michael Branch/Danny Cadamarteri type who fades off in to

lower league footy. Rigters is not ready to be starting yet.

In conclusion, if you keep your main boys fit then you'll finish top 10 and will be in contention for UEFA places. If you took any injuries to McCarthy or someone else important, then you'll struggle. Not down the bottom or anything, but you be around 10th-15th.

It dosent matter if you agree with that or not its just the point of an Evertonian. Now, onto the questions:-

Do you class Rovers as a dirty team?

I wouldn't say dirty, but I think it's quite obvious that Hughes encourages them to rough up the opposition, particularly against the top sides. When you see the likes of Pedersen's pointless barge on Jens Lehman yesterday it's pretty clear that your players are instructed to at least try and get a reaction from the opposition

Evertons most important player this season?

Mikel Arteta - he's really come on over the last 18 months and is easily one of the best players in the Premier League. He's the most creative player in our team and he scores goals too.

Which Rovers players willl cause you the most problems

Probably Pedersen. Right back is a little bit of a problem position for us and he's got the quality to cause problems all day for us down the left.

Most memorable match between the two sides?

There's not been too many between us, obviously the FA Cup game last season is memorable for all the wrong reasons. The game at Goodison the season before last where we went down to 10 men early and Beattie majestically headed home a free kick for a 1-0 win was one too. Going back further - there was the game at Ewood in 98/99 where Bakayoko miraculously learned how to finished and scored both goals in a 2-1 win which went a long way towards saving us from the drop that year!

Most disliked Rovers player?

Savage is the obvious one, he's a snidey coward (underrated though). To be honest, there's not many at Blackburn who I have any dislike for.

If you could have a Rovers player in your team who would it be?

Benni McCarthy by a mile. He's a goal machine and after being linked with him as many times as we were in the past it's gutting to see the way he bangs them in for you.

The weakest Everton player? (If you think you have one)

Moyes has done a great job in building a strong (if small) squad, and most of the weak players have gone now. Of the players likely to play I would say that Tony Hibbert would be our weak link. He's a good tackler, but his positioning is poor and his passing is terrible.

Where will your team finish this season?

If we can stay clear of injuries/suspensions and add another couple of quality players before the end of August (Fernandes and Yakubu please), then I honestly think we can be aiming at 4th place this season. On the other hand, if we lost a couple of our more influential players we would do well to finish in a UEFA place again I think. Having said that, we managed ok without Cahill for lots of last season. We'll end up top 6 again I think.

Where will Rovers finish?

I think you're capable of finishing in the UEFA places, although I think competition will be tougher this year with the likes of City and the Barcodes being up there this year. If you suffered with injuries to key players (I'm talking Benni here), then you'll probably end up in mid-table obscurity with no chance of Europe but no danger of relegation either.

Score prediction?

2-1 to the Blues. Games between us tend to be tight no matter what our current form is (forget the FA Cup game please!), but I think we have enough quality to get the better of you, especially at Goodison.

Thanks to Richard 'Collie' Collister for his time on this. I of course dont agee with his prediction and will go for 1-2 Rovers.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2-1 to the Blues. Games between us tend to be tight no matter what our current form is (forget the FA Cup game please!), but I think we have enough quality to get the better of you, especially at Goodison.

Given a fair ref, we're good enough to go there and win.

Good work Cocker, thank you. The photo, is that of your mates back? Why does it say Teverton? Or Feverton?

Just a pic I found on Google to be honest. I think its meant to be a Big E and then they have a little e next to it - DOH!

Always interesting to see how other fans rate our team. Personally think we'll lose this one, but I think we'll finish above Everton. They have some very good players (Arteta, Johnson, Lescott, Cahill...maybe Yobo), but their squad couldn't survive a couple of injuries. If you take Arteta and Johnson out of their team I don't think they'd be much better than the bottom three or four.

I'll say 2-1 Everton. Rovers to do the usual thing when their is a good vibe around the place and not turn up for the majority of the match.

Your mate seems very keen on Benni getting injured. Does he know something we don't? Carsley or Lescott starting the game in steelies? :)

Were this game at Ewood Park I'd go for a Rovers win. As we're away I reckon one each (despite the hiding we gave them in the Cup last season).

I think the teams are evenly matched. When we lose to Everton they grind out the result. When teams with skill attack Everton and overcome their resilance, I think Everton come unstuck. I think we'll match them for endeavor, beat them on match sharpness, and bring more flair and passing to the game than they will, just. Rovers 2-0 or 2-1

Good work Cocker, thank you. The photo, is that of your mates back? Why does it say Teverton? Or Feverton?

Looks like "Leverton" to me..what is that a type of hare??

Good preview.

Could have done without Everton losing at Reading as they will be rather too keen to get their show back on the road. The best we can hope for is their new signings not quite gelling and Rovers coming away with a very hard fought (whoops, contested) 1-1.

Nelsen is suspended so...

Friedel

Warnock   Samba  Ooijer  Emerton

Pedersen  Savage  Dunn   Bentley

Benni  Santa Cruz

Subs: Brown, Mokoena, Tugay, Derbs, Roberts

1-1 :rover:

Benni

Always interesting to see how other fans rate our team. Personally think we'll lose this one, but I think we'll finish above Everton. They have some very good players (Arteta, Johnson, Lescott, Cahill...maybe Yobo), but their squad couldn't survive a couple of injuries. If you take Arteta and Johnson out of their team I don't think they'd be much better than the bottom three or four.

I understand where you're coming from, but I think that's being a bit harsh on Moyes. True, the team has yo-yoed a bit in recent seasons, but I think he's a very good manager who gets the most out of his side. To be fair, I think a lot of fans of other clubs would say that if you took away Pedersen and McCarthy that we'd not be much better than the bottom three or four as well.

It'd be good to pick up any amount of points here, but I'll have to agree with Eddie that we're set up to disappoint, 2-1. Or maybe I'm just a pessimist?

I certainly have a lot of respect for Moyes, they are a very good side when they are all fit, but they still need to add depth to that. I only fear one of their strikers and two of their midfielders. Their back five are good, but not as if they are sure to keep a clean sheet.

Hopefully whatever Hughes said at half time against L'Arse will still be ringing in the players ears when we play Everton and we can snatch a win. I imagine it'd be a tight game as both sides are relatively evenly matched, although a scoreline like the FA Cup game again in our favour would go down just as well.

I think this is a game that will show us exactly what type of team we have for this season.

A win away at Boro, a draw in an even matched game versus the mighty Arsenal and now an away game at Everton who have a reputation something akin to our beloved BRFC.

Everton are a team that can mix it as well as playing good football, again very much like Blackburn. They have matchwinners, ball winners and one or two hard players who certainly can dish it out, again very much like Rovers.

For me, Rovers have to keep an eye on Johnson. Keep him quiet and we have a chance. This game will show us how much Oijer has come on as he is almost certainly going to partner Samba at the back.

I think a draw here is a good result but I do believe we have the mentality and team to go to Goodison and sneak a win. Everton fans seem to be expecting a walkover like the pundits, Rovers are the type of team to destroy their hopes and a win on the fixed odds.

:brfc:

I think the tattoo says Eeverton.

At Goodison, without Nelsen, and with their midfield including a Mr. Arteta who's on fire at the moment (can't see Savage stopping him in this form to be honest...) I think we need to settle for a draw. And a good and influential match by our wingers would be nice for the confidence. 0-0 or 2-2 will do.

Nelsen is suspended so...

Friedel

Warnock   Samba  Ooijer  Emerton

Pedersen  Savage  Dunn   Bentley

Benni  Santa Cruz

Subs: Brown, Mokoena, Tugay, Derbs, Roberts

1-1 :rover:

Benni

Agree with lineup but I think we might nick it 2-1 with Santa and MGP getting the goals.

Should be a tough game and I would be pleased with a draw however I think we are capable of winning this. I would play Mokoena instead of Dunn in the centre and Ooijer and Samba at centre back. Santa and McCarthy upfront would be nice to see.

Will be happy with a draw as well. It's not impossible to get all points though. Just have to hope they don't score first. If we get half as many losses this season as the last, a point instead will see us in the top 6. I'd like to keep Dunn in the side. Axe on the bench though. And I also feel Matty is most effective coming off the bench, so Santa and Benni no doubt. Prediction: 0-0 and unbeaten start to the season continues.

That's got to be one of the worst tattoos ever, I might get one saying Bblackburn Rrovers. This is a massive game for us. 3 points would mean that we've had a great start and sets us up for a good season ahead. I'd take a draw as Everton are a decent side. I just hope it doesn't come down to a dodgy decision.

Archived