BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Best Rovers Xi

This may well of been done before, but I'm interested to see how many current players would make your best XI. Maybe Bentley on the right? Friedel in goal? Nelsen maybe partnering Hendry at the back. I haven't been in a position to watch Rovers week in, week out so am not really in a position to submit a team. I'll have a go though.

----------Shearer-----?---------------

Duff--------Tugay-----Sherwood-----Bentley

Le Saux---Hendry-----Nelsen------?

----------------Freidel----------------------

Unsure of a second striker & a right back, like I say, out of curiosity I'm interested what others think.

This may well of been done before, but I'm interested to see how many current players would make your best XI. Maybe Bentley on the right? Friedel in goal? Nelsen maybe partnering Hendry at the back. I haven't been in a position to watch Rovers week in, week out so am not really in a position to submit a team. I'll have a go though.

----------Shearer-----?---------------

Duff--------Tugay-----Sherwood-----Bentley

Le Saux---Hendry-----Nelsen------?

----------------Freidel----------------------

Unsure of a second striker & a right back, like I say, out of curiosity I'm interested what others think.

The striking partner has to be, ironically in the fact that they hate each other, Bellamy. He was sensational when he was here, could win games on his own. I do have a feeling that Cruz could be considered just as good though by the season's end.

RB would be Lucas Neill for me, but I can see many disagreeing with that. I thought he was superb for us and, in stark contrast to his West Ham career, very rarely injured.

Batty was better than Sherwood.

And Matt Jansen.....two footed, skillfull, finisher.......what a shame!

I'd have to disagree on both counts, I'm afraid. Sherwood's record at Ewood far outshines Batty's. Jansen was all left foot as well.

I'd have to disagree on both counts, I'm afraid. Sherwood's record at Ewood far outshines Batty's. Jansen was all left foot as well.

couldn't jansen finish with his right.......??!?!?

sherwoods record, captain winning....etc etc etc...........but batty was better, maybe only briefly but better!

Friedel

Berg / Nelsen / Hendry / Le Saux

Bentley / Sherwood / Tugay / Duff

Shearer / Bellamy

Hardest choice for me was between Friedel and Flowers. Very close to call, but Friedel gets it by a whisker.

Of our current squad, Warnock, Samba, Santa Cruz and MacCarthy come close, but are all edged out.

EDIT: After posting that, I paused for a minute to imagine a Shearer / Bellamy partnership... WOW.

When you say best xi, do you mean best based on their performances whilst playing for us or simply based on the actual quality of the player? If it is based on quality of the player then it would be Cole up front for me, if not then he'd miss out and Sutton would get in (it would be close between Cole, Sutton and Jansen for it though, I'm not counting either Bellamy or Benni because of how short a time they each have spent at the club...so far).

Hardest choice for me was between Friedel and Flowers. Very close to call, but Friedel gets it by a whisker.

To be honest I don't think that is too tough a call. Friedel every time. Not that I'm knocking Flowers, I just think that there's a difference between a good keeper and a great keeper.

To be honest I don't think that is too tough a call. Friedel every time. Not that I'm knocking Flowers, I just think that there's a difference between a good keeper and a great keeper.

And I also think some people might have forgotten just how good Tim Flowers was. People say that Alan Shearer was the main reason that we won the Prem but when you look back at some of the saves Flowers made it can make you go WOW.

Always remember never forget

To be fair, that ought to say very good keeper. Flowers was excellent...Friedel, however, has proved he has the edge over Tim though in my books.

A look at the England caps our very English league-winning team got shows you how hard it is to get called up for England if you play for Blackburn. Flowers- only 11 caps. Ripley- only 2. Wilcox- only 3. Sherwood- only 3 (if I recall rightly he never played while he was at Blackburn either, only when he went to Spuds). Sutton- only 1 cap. Absolutely ridiculous. Especially contrasted with Phil Neville- 58 caps!!! Complete and utter travesty. If Bentley never gets into the setup properly the way he's playing, I think I may just give up on England. It's Blackburn first for me.

Friedel

Le Saux Hendry Samba Berg

Duff Tugay Batty Bentley

Bellamy Shearer

Looks mighty tasty.

On the basis that's my first X1 you could get an unbelievable 2nd X1 out of it as well.

Flowers

Nelsen May

Warnock Emerton

MGP Sherwood Ripley

McCarthy

Sutton Cole

God bless Uncle Jack. :rover:

Archived