BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Celtic Last Night

Cocker

Shocking challenge, but in mitigation for the Benfica player, it was a sweaty he stood on, and a Celtic one at that. If he buys a round of drinks in the bar and sends the sweaty a christmas card, that ought to be sufficient punishment.

Editted to add smiley :rolleyes: so that Jan does not fly off the handle and have a coronary.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shocking challenge, but in mitigation for the Benfica player, it was a sweaty he stood on, and a Celtic one at that. If he buys a round of drinks in the bar and sends the sweaty a christmas card, that ought to be sufficient punishment.

Editted to add smiley :rolleyes: so that Jan does not fly off the handle and have a coronary.

It's alright. We hate you lot as well. :rolleyes:

Poor challenge that, it's things like that which warrant more than just a 3 game ban.

i am in complete agreement with you mate. this is an horrendous tackle, far far worse than that of lucas neill against carragher at ewood a few seasons back. is there not a judiciary panel that ajudicates on things like this?? if there is not then there damn well should be because all the words i am trying to think just don't do the horrific nature of this tackle any justice. i am hoping that his benfica team mates where embarrassed to be on the same pitch as him last night.

Believed at the time, and still do, that the player had been told to target Scotty to keep him out of the Scotland v Italy match. Hopefully it has failed and the tosser that tried it will be out for a very long time.

Have I missed something here? Binya's a Cameroon international playing for a Portugese team. What has Scotland v Italy got to do with it? :huh:

Anyway imo having viewed it a few times the Celtic lad had just fouled a Benfica player to win the ball and it looked like a flash in the pan incident rather than a premeditated one. Maybe you just need to have played a bit to undrestand that sometimes these things do happen in the heat of the moment.

*Apologies eddie I just noticed that you had already pointed that out.

Anyway imo having viewed it a few times the Celtic lad had just fouled a Benfica player to win the ball and it looked like a flash in the pan incident rather than a premeditated one. Maybe you just need to have played a bit to undrestand that sometimes these things do happen in the heat of the moment.

I've played the game plenty as a rough-and-tumble centre half, and I'm always excusing fouls. However, THIS one was way, way beyond the pale. I've actually gone out intentionally to injure a player on a couple of occasions (only ever under instructions from the coach though), and I never went in anywhere near that badly!

Has anyone got a clip of the Kuyt foul? I never saw it.

Far worse general reaction than the challenge imo. The tackle looked worse because it was conducted at high speed and unlike foot up / studs showing / two footed block tackles etc the speed at which a tackle is made is not (yet) punishable. Kuyts legs are bent at the knees showing that there was no intent to injure. In fact in situations like that the probability of injuring either player will be close to 50:50. All seriously dangerous tackles with intent to injure are carried out with a straight leading leg. From my memory of the video replay Kuyt did not do that AND he went across Neville not toward him. imo Kuyt is a poor player not a dirty one.

Far worse general reaction than the challenge imo. The tackle looked worse because it was conducted at high speed and unlike foot up / studs showing / two footed block tackles etc the speed at which a tackle is made is not (yet) punishable. Kuyts legs are bent at the knees showing that there was no intent to injure. In fact in situations like that the probability of injuring either player will be close to 50:50. All seriously dangerous tackles with intent to injure are carried out with a straight leading leg. From my memory of the video replay Kuyt did not do that AND he went across Neville not toward him. imo Kuyt is a poor player not a dirty one.

Have to agree with this. I thought the challenge was reckless and stupid, and caused by frustration, but there was no intent to injure. Not like the shocking tackle in the Celtic game.

Believed at the time, and still do, that the player had been told to target Scotty to keep him out of the Scotland v Italy match. Hopefully it has failed and the tosser that tried it will be out for a very long time.

And TFE and exiled_rover- you're disgusting w*nkers for making light of it. Hope Barca maul your lot tonight. Oh and by the way- irony would have been with a smiley. What you wrote was just unpleasant- but hey, what's new?

Easy Janice. It's a mans game. People like you seem to want to make football a non-contact sport.

I disagree with you slightly there. I certainly think it was a "better" challenge because of the fact that he didn't go in with his legs straight, but I don't think you throw yourself in the air if for at least a second the thought "I'm going to get him" didn't flash through your mind.

Easy Janice. It's a mans game. People like you seem to want to make football a non-contact sport.

And where do you get THAT from my reaction? (Which is, by the way, the same reaction as everyone else who doesn't have bluenose sympathies??) Don't try to hide your disgusting reaction behind something which was not inferred in my words.

The "tackle" was a deliberate studs first attempt to break a player's leg, and if suggesting that such a thing should not be allowed is in any way similar to suggesting football shouldn't be a contact sport, then I'm almost as ignorant as you!

And TFE and exiled_rover- you're disgusting w*nkers for making light of it. Hope Barca maul your lot tonight. Oh and by the way- irony would have been with a smiley. What you wrote was just unpleasant- but hey, what's new?

Jan, I'm very sceptical on the first paragraph, that's real conspiracy at work. Why do they care about that game? Your 2nd paragraph is a rather large over-reaction.

I do agree that there could have been a foul on the first lad and the Benfica player was just sticking up for his own but the way he tried it was awful.

As for the Kuyt debate I've not seen it live so cannot comment but the picture looks bad; both feet off the ground, not good.

And where do you get THAT from my reaction? (Which is, by the way, the same reaction as everyone else who doesn't have bluenose sympathies??) Don't try to hide your disgusting reaction behind something which was not inferred in my words.

The "tackle" was a deliberate studs first attempt to break a player's leg, and if suggesting that such a thing should not be allowed is in any way similar to suggesting football shouldn't be a contact sport, then I'm almost as ignorant as you!

Jan - I'm on the wind up. Catch on for God sake and stop being a drama queen.

Jan - I'm on the wind up. Catch on for God sake and stop being a drama queen.

No- you're being ignorant. You have made absolutely no show of any sort of humour in any of your posts. You may think it's instantly obvious that you don't wish ill on a player, but given your rabid hatred of all things Celtic repeatedly expressed on the board, it's not.

No- you're being ignorant. You have made absolutely no show of any sort of humour in any of your posts. You may think it's instantly obvious that you don't wish ill on a player, but given your rabid hatred of all things Celtic repeatedly expressed on the board, it's not.

To paraphrase one of thenodrog's sayings, it was obvious to a blind man on a galloping horse that T4E was taking the mickey. I'm sorry but if you need a smiley every time someone is having a joke then you have issues.

Also has been pointed out i'd get down off that high horse of yours after some of the comments regarding Souness you have come out with over the years. Heart problems is just one of the ones that spring to mind.

To paraphrase one of thenodrog's sayings, it was obvious to a blind man on a galloping horse

Not one of mine manc it's pure Stan Ternant...... but I do use it a lot out of deference to the man who once described Burnley fans as 'mindless morons'. :tu:

I'm not arsed about 'wishing ill on a player' - does it really matter?

I'm glad my 'rabid hatred' of all things Septic has been noted.

Doesn't extend to Brownie though - cracking player, we need him against Italy.

The tackle gets worse every time you see it. Brown is a superb player and Celtic could have been in serious trouble had that season-ender done the damage it really should have done.

You'd struggle to see anything as brutal on an amateur pitch. I could go down the Ravenhill Road pitches in the morning and watch the Portavogie Young Ulster Rangers Volunteer Flute Band second XI (motto: 'We don't play Sundays') throw their tattooed limbs around a bumpy surface and there would be nothing as downright nasty as Binya's bit of stamping.

It was still a bad challenge. He launched himself into it with both feet off the ground, you can't really exercise much control there.

But I would agree straight legs facing someone full-on is worse (I seem to remember Lennie Johnrose doing one when he was playing for Bury).

Petty bickerings aside, I can't see how any one can defend that. I can't see how any one can even suggest it was a bad tackle. It was a planned and deliberant attempt to do serious harm and as someone mentioned it was only the fact that his ankle rolled that saved his leg. Disgraceful, no place for it in the game.

Archived