BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Woys Back..

Ste B

I could never understand Hodgson signing such plonkers as Blake Per Frandsen Dailly etc. When he was at Inter they must have had extensive dossiers on every top talent in every country on every continent, and he must have had access to them. He was armed with with Uncle Jacks bottomless cheque book and after seeing what Mark Hughes has achieved on a miniscule budget It's amazing that Henchoz, Perez, Kounde, Marcolin and Glassback Dahlin were the best that he could manage. Just think where we could be if Jack was still around to fund Sparky's player instinct?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't believe this love-in .

The bloke was an egotist who spent most of his time in the Sky studios angling for the England job ; sacking him was an absolute necessity at the time .......

Can only see him ballsing it up again - I nearly feel sorry for Fayed :blink:

Yeah and then we got Kidd, and he was so much better wasn't he. :(

Really surprised too. Woy was our national team manager for the past qualifiers and it was really thought that he'd accept the golden handshake from Inter to be their "international affairs manager" or wtf it was called.

Something like 7 out of our last 8 games ended 0-0 (we beat Azerbaidjan 2-1), so I guess he's there to tighten up their defence. In this light Fayed's statements for attacking football seem really far fetched.

Kuqi's loan deal ends at monday so he probably wasn't the main factor behind Woy's decision :)

Brillant first 6 months at the club when he took a squad of players still smarting at the departure of Shearer and made them believe in themselves again, and we became one of the fittest teams in the prem. The demands of the Premiership took it's toll and the last few months of the 97-98 season we were terrible and only a last minute free kick from Sutton got us scraping into Europe.

I liked the guy, and thought at the time he was harshly treated but when it comes to managing a club you have to stand up tall and take account of your mistakes. He lost the dressing room and didn't spend the big money well at all.

I still think he'll do OK at Fulham though. Without any big egos or expectations I think he'll have them playing well as a unit and as he's used to managing a team of underdogs (so to speak) it will suit his style.

He started off great but lost the dressing room and never got it back, I've never met the guy but he came across as smug and arrogant. Took over a good team with plenty of dosh and turned us into a relegation side in less than 18 months. He signed some of the biggest flops ever to pull on the Blue and White, in fact I'm hard pressed to name a good signing, Henchoz maybe.

It's a toss up who did the most damage him or Kiddo, the guy's a charlatan .

Took over a good team with plenty of dosh and turned us into a relegation side in less than 18 months. He signed some of the biggest flops ever to pull on the Blue and White, in fact I'm hard pressed to name a good signing, Henchoz maybe.

It's a toss up who did the most damage him or Kiddo, the guy's a charlatan .

Thank heavens for some common sense on this thread about woy's time at Rovers.

I was beginning to think we were talking about a different person!

I was tring to ignore his brief time at Rovers in assessing his prospects at Fulham.

Next manager in line for the chop...... Sheff Utd fans were apparently chanting 'Robson Out' this afternoon.

God only knows how he keeps finding work cos it is patently obvious that he is NOT manager material! His record and his self esteem must both be in tatters.

I am really shocked they have appointed him.

Wonder how Ian Pearce and Billy McKinlay are feeling having to work with him again!

I'm sure two training sessions a day at their age will be just what the doctor ordered....

I almost feel sorry for fulham, but not quite.

If they had kept hold of Coleman and given him the money they gave to sanchez, they would not be getting relegated this season.

Hodgson is guaranteed relegation, with Sunderland and Derby at the end of the season.

Does anyone backing this guy, remember it was him who was responsible for getting us relegated from the premiership?

He is also responsible for our worst ever signing. Lard Arse for 7.5 million.

Davies and Dailly- £14m between them ten years ago!

That first six months with Hodgson was an exhilerating ride but as soon as things started wobbling, Woy was incapable of sorting it. Steve Bruce can safely relied upon to see Wigan down irrespective of our charity.

I still think Woy will give Fulham a relegation-avoiding six months. By all accounts, Coleman went on one bender too many and that got him the chop.

This is on a Fulham site but will help a few of us remember Woy's time in charge (I think it is missing a few cup results):

Blackburn 1-0 Derby 09/08/97

Aston Villa 0-4 Blackburn 13/08/97

Blackburn 1-1 Liverpool 23/08/97

Blackburn 7-2 Sheff Wed 25/08/97

C Palace 1-2 Blackburn 30/08/97

Blackburn 3-4 Leeds 14/09/97

Blackburn 6-0 Preston 17/09/97 (League Cup)

Tottenham 0-0 Blackburn 20/09/97

Leicester 1-1 Blackburn 24/09/97

Blackburn 0-0 Coventry 28/09/97

Preston 1-0 Blackburn 30/09/97 (League Cup)

Wimbledon 0-1 Blackburn 04/10/97

Chelsea 1-1 Blackburn 15/10/97

Blackburn 1-0 Southampton 18/10/97

Newcastle 1-1 Blackburn 25/10/97

Barnsley 1-1 Blackburn 01/11/97

Blackburn 3-2 Everton 08/11/97

Blackburn 1-0 Chelsea 22/11/97

Man Utd 4-0 Blackburn 30/11/97

Blackburn 3-1 Bolton 06/12/97

Arsenal 1-3 Blackburn 13/12/97

Blackburn 3-0 West Ham 20/12/97

Sheff Wed 0-0 Blackburn 26/12/97

Blackburn 2-2 C Palace 28/12/97

Blackburn 4-2 Wigan 03/01/98 (FA Cup)

Derby 3-1 Blackburn 11/01/98

Blackburn 5-0 Aston Villa 17/01/98

Sheff Wed 0-3 Blackburn 26/01/98 (FA Cup)

Liverpool 0-0 Blackburn 31/01/98

Blackburn 0-3 Tottenham 07/02/98

West Ham 2-2 Blackburn 14/02/98

Southampton 3-0 Blackburn 21/02/98

Blackburn 1-1 West Ham 25/02/98

Blackburn 5-3 Leicester 28/02/98

Leeds 4-0 Blackburn 11/03/98

Everton 1-0 Blackburn 14/03/98

Blackburn 2-1 Barnsley 31/03/98

Blackburn 1-3 Man Utd 06/04/98

Bolton 2-1 Blackburn 11/04/98

Blackburn 1-4 Arsenal 13/04/98

West Ham 2-1 Blackburn 18/04/98

Blackburn 0-0 Wimbledon 25/04/98

Chelsea 0-1 Blackburn 29/04/98

Coventry 2-0 Blackburn 02/05/98

Blackburn 1-0 Newcastle 10/05/98

Blackburn 0-0 Derby 15/08/98

Leeds 1-0 Blackburn 24/08/98

Blackburn 1-0 Leicester 29/08/98

Tottenham 2-1 Blackburn 09/09/98

Sheff Wed 3-0 Blackburn 12/09/98

Blackburn 0-1 Lyon 15/09/98 (UEFA Cup)

Blackburn 3-4 Chelsea 21/09/98

Everton 0-0 Blackburn 26/09/98

Lyon 2-2 Blackburn 29/09/98 (UEFA Cup)

Blackburn 3-0 West Ham 03/10/98

Middlesbro 2-1 Blackburn 17/10/98

Blackburn 1-2 Arsenal 25/10/98

Crewe 0-1 Blackburn 28/10/98 (League Cup)

Wimbledon 1-1 Blackburn 31/10/98

Blackburn 1-2 Coventry 07/11/98

Newcastle 1-1 Blackburn 11/11/98

Man Utd 3-2 Blackburn 14/11/98

Blackburn 0-2 Southampton 21/11/98

This article on the Coventry home defeats reminds us that Woy was spending Jack's money like crazy in the 98/9 season.

Brian Kidd presumably being an innocent by-stander?

The situation was by no means beyond salvage when Roy left (in November I think it was).

He was partly responsible. But lets not split hairs and pussy foot around.

Fact is, if he had stayed as manager, given the morale of the team and his terrible signings we were dead certs for relegation. That was why he was sacked after all, wasn't it?

The fact that Kidd actually took us down, does not matter one bit. We are talking about the performance of Hodgson here, not Kidd. We were stupid enough to give a NUMBER 2 who had never been a manager his first job in management when we were deep in the @#/?. Bad appointment by the board, also got us relegated. Hodgsons sacking was 100% just.

Yes, can't really argue with that. He certainly made some panic buys. Although he did later say that Davies was signed by committee (him, Jack Walker, John Williams) which is strange and I suppose doesn't really excuse him since the manager is responsible for signings.

In my view, he is a good continental manager (after, he was employed by Inter twice) whose methods, initially effective, weren't suited to managing in England.

• 4 weeks later...

Hardly an auspiscous start for woy.................. five points adrift in the League, dumped out of the Cup by Bristol Rovers and has seemingly started spending Al Fayed's money like water on dodgy players.

Heard him on the radio before the Arsenal game. Gave his usual polished, accomplished interview pre match - trouble was, his team got stuffed 0-3!

Odds on him being sacked before the end of the season?.

What have been his first three games? Chelsea, Arsenal and someone else high up?

Not sure he's been spending money like water (can you spend water?)

Let's see where Fugham are in a few weeks ...

In the Championship I would imagine. :)

Crikey, you know how to split hairs Bryan, I thought "spending money like water" was a popular colloquial turn of phrase!

Oumar Konde still plays football, doesn't he? - Woy, you know you want to...

Seriously, I want Hodgson to succeed at Fulham. He's seems a decent guy and his achievements abroad (was it manager of UAE he was recently?) suggest that he knows his stuff.

Sadly, I don't think he'll last too long. He needs a "bang the drums" sidekick who can make up for what he might lack in motivational powers.

Archived