BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

No probs Colin

I went with a friend/business colleague and we both enjoyed it.

The menu had changed from the last time I visited.

We stuck to the set menu (3 courses for £15.95) which given the standard of food is an absolute steal.

I had Hake, shoulder of lamb and a sticky toffee pudding. All were brilliant.

Its nouveau cuisine, but you feel full at the end of it.

The table next to ours had scallops and sole which both looked amazing, but at £13.95 and £10.95 each I suppose they should be.

Its certainly worth a visiting, particularly if you are a lover of fine food or simply to try the set menu.

Edited by rog of the rovers

We did was very nice actually, the Creme brûlée was a highlight, lovely laid back atmosphere as well

Creaky floorboards, Wainwrights and comfy chairs and the food is consistently good. Millstone so often sets the standard that I judge others by.

Unfortunately and inevitably I notice Anson Bolton is now milking the reputation they have earned and it's reflected in the pricelist. He needs to be very careful cos the area is swamped with quality competition.

Edited by thenodrog

Went to the Strickland Arms where the food was extremely reasonably priced and fine with thick cut home made chips and the King's Head at Hale which was also very good and homely. Can certainly recommend Hawkshead Tup as a very fine pint of beer.

Stayed at the Heaves Hotel. A bit old but excellent value for bed and breakfast and the evening meal was very good.

Bukhara Thurs night. Keep the Sharzan...... This place sets the standard for Pakistani cuisine. Food was excellent as usual and presented superbly, mighty cheap too.

Slight quibble..... First time we've been for a 'sit in' for some time and er indoors commented that the building is becoming ready for a bit of attention.

Went to the Strickland Arms where the food was extremely reasonably priced and fine with thick cut home made chips and the King's Head at Hale which was also very good and homely. Can certainly recommend Hawkshead Tup as a very fine pint of beer.

Stayed at the Heaves Hotel. A bit old but excellent value for bed and breakfast and the evening meal was very good.

The Strickland arms at Sizergh is wonderful, great home cooked food and beer to match, the steak and ale pie is fantastic.

Must say I've heard a few bad reports from the Clogg recently, poor service, reduced menu, bringing food out with missing components :(

We've also had 2 bad experiences at The Oyster and Otter, not with the food but with the seating. We rolled up at around 8pm on a Friday night a couple of months back and the restaurant was busy, but they had 4/5 window tables ready but wouldn’t give them to a 3 in case any larger parties of 6 walked in, at 8pm?? We mentioned that they stop serving at 9pm but they wouldn’t have it so we left.

2 weeks later we decided to try them again, same outcome, but the manager realised what was happening and chased us out the door having recognised us from the few weeks earlier, we still left and won’t be going back.

To finish on positive note, we've been to Naga at Abbey Village a few times now and the food is great. What I think makes it slightly better than the Indians in Darwen is the food is all cooked to order, on occasions the ones in Darwen pre-heat, but they're still very good.

The Strickland arms at Sizergh is wonderful, great home cooked food and beer to match, the steak and ale pie is fantastic.

Must say I've heard a few bad reports from the Clogg recently, poor service, reduced menu, bringing food out with missing components :(

We've also had 2 bad experiences at The Oyster and Otter, not with the food but with the seating. We rolled up at around 8pm on a Friday night a couple of months back and the restaurant was busy, but they had 4/5 window tables ready but wouldn’t give them to a 3 in case any larger parties of 6 walked in, at 8pm?? We mentioned that they stop serving at 9pm but they wouldn’t have it so we left.

2 weeks later we decided to try them again, same outcome, but the manager realised what was happening and chased us out the door having recognised us from the few weeks earlier, we still left and won’t be going back.

To finish on positive note, we've been to Naga at Abbey Village a few times now and the food is great. What I think makes it slightly better than the Indians in Darwen is the food is all cooked to order, on occasions the ones in Darwen pre-heat, but they're still very good.

Went in the Clog for a couple of pints of Wainwright last week. 7.30-8.30 on a Friday night and it was very quiet. In fact the quietest that I have ever seen it. There have indeed been bad reports recently, but most have been about thepoor and tardy service. My mate had meal there with so many staff related cock ups and such slow service that he described it as like an episode straight out of Fawlty Towers.

They need to be very careful. We are blessed with so many good quality eateries around these parts that the Northcote name alone isn't enough.

Chaophrya in Manchester is thebest Thai place Ive been....top notch..open kitchen. Great

That Little Elephant in Darwen was my fave Thai restauarant. Unfortunately it closed down rather suddenly. We are not blessed with many Thai outlets around Bburn it's sad to say.