BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy's New Contract

Yeah and IF Derbyshire hadnt grabbed the ball at Villa - we would now be level with them as McCarthy would of fired it home!

I too would let Roberts go - but only for anything of £4m +. I think this summer might be one of our biggest yet for many seasons. Especially if we get 6th place.

Absolutely no chance Imo- due to his age and the fact he hardly ever plays. We will get 2m at the most for him

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What has he done since we bought him to justify a 33% increase in value?

Maybe nothing but the market has changed as everyone is flush with cash from the TV deal. Don't think the likes of Chopra would have gone for anywhere near £5m before the deal. (In fact, didn't Cardiff pay only £500k for him the summer before?)

Sorry that article seems to be in Bennis' native Zulu language...

A translation for those who don't speak the lingo...

''I'm in my thirties, I'm damn inconsistant, noone else wants me and they're giving me a payrise.''

And I thought I was being overly cynical and critical of him! :rolleyes:

Er...finish second top scorer in the Premier League last season?

Jason Roberts?

Their is no way we will get anywhere near 4 million + for a 30 yr old reserve forward, with limited technical ability.

Marlon king & chopra were both regular starters & scoreres at watford/ cardiff and are younger than Roberts ( both were a waste of money imo).

Apologies guys, I don't always have time to read through everything, am very tired, and assumed since the thread is about Benni that you were referring to him.

I do think Roberts has shown when he's had a chance that he's a handy, powerful player. I wouldn't expect us to get more than 3 million for him though.

Yeah and IF Derbyshire hadnt grabbed the ball at Villa - we would now be level with them as McCarthy would of fired it home!

I too would let Roberts go - but only for anything of £4m +. I think this summer might be one of our biggest yet for many seasons. Especially if we get 6th place.

Im not sure we can get that sort of money for him. What we won't be able to do, or want to do, is keep him against his will. So it will hinge on clubs being willing to pay that much. I am not sure anyone will unless they are desperate- after all no one came near matching that valuation in the January window.

Wanted.

One Premier League striker.

20+ goals per season at better than a goal every other game when he's good

10+ goals per season at better than a goal every three games when he's rubbish

Fee sub £5m. Wages £40K a week.

Offers to Shillito 15 obo Blackburn Rovers FC

It must be great being able to support a team a follow a sport purely on statistics as you clearly do from Malta.

This combined with the fact you like to put an overly pro Rovers slant on every statistic you dig up, life must be bloody ideal.

It must be great being able to support a team a follow a sport purely on statistics as you clearly do from Malta.

This combined with the fact you like to put an overly pro Rovers slant on every statistic you dig up, life must be bloody ideal.

Life is cool, thanks.

"I'm not having the greatest of seasons, I would have loved to have had the same season I had last year but unfortunately they know all about the showboating now!"
:lol:

Also, Benni says him and Santa Cruz speak Spanish during games, which confuses the defenders.. Interesting tactic.

I know he iritates a lot of folks on here but I think Benni's interviews are a fantastic breath of fresh air. The rest of football is politician speak but Benni just comes out with just how he is feeling warts and all but in such a disarming manner.

Good artice on whether we should be offering Benni a new contract.....

Deal or no deal for McCarthy?

I agree entirely with that.

McCarthy was absolute ###### today against Fulham - although I agree the service wasn't upto much either. How long do we keep persisting with the likes of McCarthy when we have other players such as Roberts who are crying for a chance to prove they are a long-term option upfront.

I actually think Roberts is a better player. Now I know there are going to be loads of people disagreeing with me on this, but I honestly cannot remember the last time I saw McCarthy influence a game. Roberts has come off the bench a few times in recent weeks to devastating effect to opposition defences and in my opinion he warrants an extended run in the first team.

McCarthy is a lazy waster who simply cannot be arsed anymore. He showed that today and he's shown it for most of the season. It comes across as though he has realised he has missed the chance of his 'big move' and now doesn't really have much to play for - especially if lazy and inept performances are being rewarded with a new contract.

GET RID.

Thing is though, Benni is a better player than Roberts on his day. Unfortunately for us, even though contract talks are underway, he clearly can't be arsed.

Don't give me that "service" crap either (I didn't notice Shearer, Sutton, Gallacher, Jansen, Bellamy - I've missed a few out - getting the benefit of that excuse) Quite frankly I don't care what his fans say, he is taking the ######.

Keep Roberts and Derbs. On that showing, and that at Newcastle, he can go for me.

Good artice on whether we should be offering Benni a new contract.....

Deal or no deal for McCarthy?

Cheers John, it was my two penneth worth anyway. He was terrible today and to be taken off 10 minutes into the second half at home to a side as bad as Fulham says it all.

I've been a big fan of McCarthy but don't see the sense in negotiating a new contract for a player who's 30, got two years left on his current one and who's been so poor.

he is taking the ######.

Absolutely. He's been taking the pee out of us Bob since early in the season, before the end of the August transfer deadline, when he was practically begging Chelsea to buy him.

Ever since then, when his "dream move" to Chelsea didn't materialise, his performances this season (with a few exceptions) have been well below the standards we should be expecting of him.

Benni blamed his poor form earlier in the season on the fact that the Chelsea rumours had unsettled him. But Rovers pay his wages and he should have been concentrating on our team rather than winking and casting admiring glances in the direction of Mourinho. His display against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in September (not long before Mourinho left the club) was particularly disgraceful in terms of lack of effort in the Rovers shirt. I'm sure he didn't break into sweat that day or contribute anything more than a light jog.

Away to Wigan at the JJB Stadium in December was another shocking "can't be arsed" performance - and there have been quite a few of those this season.

That's a very good article.

Given the fact that McCarthy hasn't scored in open play in his last 18 matches - he's managed just three goals from open play in the Premiership this season - and given the fact that many of his performances have been so dire for us this season, I can't entirely understand why sections of the Rovers crowd seem so keen to chant "BENNI McCARTHY, BENNI McCARTHY" when he does one of his fancy little flicks that often only results in giving the ball away to the opposition.

To be honest some of those responsible for chanting McCarthy's name seem to be the type of 14-year-old kids who come up with the embarrassing "Get into 'em" chant every five minutes. Nearly as bad as the drummers....

The more mature and seasoned Rovers spectators would normally prefer to chant the names of players who are putting in an effort or at least giving the impression that they really care for our club. I'm afraid with Benedict McCarthy that isn't always the case.

Keep Roberts and Derbs. On that showing, and that at Newcastle, he can go for me.

That's the general opinion if I may say so . Santa might just need a break for a game or two and McCarthy can bugger off for ever as far as I'm concerned .

Roberts and Derbs deserve a chance .

Archived