BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy's New Contract

http://www.skysports.com/football/team/0,,11676,00.html

I see negotiations have opened for renewing Lazy McOffside's contract. On this season's form what should we be prepared to offer him? I wouldnt want them to increase whatever king's ransom he's already on, and if they do I really dont want to know or the incentive to renew my season ticket may go out of the window.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.skysports.com/football/team/0,,11676,00.html

I see negotiations have opened for renewing Lazy McOffside's contract. On this season's form what should we be prepared to offer him? I wouldnt want them to increase whatever king's ransom he's already on, and if they do I really dont want to know or the incentive to renew my season ticket may go out of the window.

well we wont get what he was valued at last season so might aswell keep him

We would be laughing if we got £5 million for Benni, when you compare that with Marlon King/ Chopra etc i dont think so!

As soon as benni starts banging the goals away again then his value is closer to double that and all the doubters will start licking his ass again! Get off the lads back!

Some ridiculous comments here. We should offer him a new contract because a) he got us into europe last year and B ) we need to get him settled again. He is probably the best player at our club in terms of talent. If he gets his smile back he can regain form. I can understand his frustration this season. Loyalty is crap...i dont care what you say. If i was a professional footballer who has no emotional ties to a club....and one of the biggest clubs in the world (chelsea) declares an interest aswell as probably DOUBLING my wages i would be driving up bolton road at 100mph in a shot. We made him stay...this would annoy anyone as footballers...like most professions want to go the highest they possibly can. Hes almost 30, it was his last shot at the big time.

So lets give him a new deal, get behind him and im sure we will reap the rewards...i look forward to next season when the benni haters start kissing his arse when hes banging them in and move over to santa cruz because he hits a dry patch.

Fair enough, he hasn't been playing well and is obviously out of sorts with his game, but it's his attitude that really stinks and based on that alone, doesn't warrant a new contract. He should be working his socks off to earn the right for a new contract and IMO has done nothing to justify it. He should be given the remainder of the season to sort himself out, stop sulking and start putting in a shift.

Some ridiculous comments here. We should offer him a new contract because a) he got us into europe last year and B ) we need to get him settled again. He is probably the best player at our club in terms of talent. If he gets his smile back he can regain form. I can understand his frustration this season. Loyalty is crap...i dont care what you say.

Yep totally agree. Love stuff like this. Benni gets slated for n ot showing Rovers loyalty. Yet what loyalty have the fans shown Benni (or virtually any player who goes off the boil)? The fans use the players and the players use the fans. Sad really.

I would give him a contract but it is a gamble. Hopefully setteling him down could reap us some rewards. But it really depends what the cost is. I would get hesitant if the difference is enough to stop us signing a player come the summer.

We have a bunch of winnable games with good rest periods inbetween coming up against teams who will let us play 442. Hopefully Benni can win us all round with some decent performances.

He isnt the type of player that works his socks off like that - he wasnt last season either, but people werent bothered then because of his goals. :!:

Im sure if he wasnt working hard then Hughes would of spotted it via Pro-zone. Dont be naive, its just a lack of confidence on his part infront of goal. Yes his head got turned, but if you had the chance tomorrow of doubling your salary, working at a better company (top 4 side), in a better market (champs league) would you not think about it?!?!

Like Pedersen, if either were to re-discover there form then both would be worth close to £10 million each.

Fair enough, he hasn't been playing well and is obviously out of sorts with his game, but it's his attitude that really stinks and based on that alone, doesn't warrant a new contract. He should be working his socks off to earn the right for a new contract and IMO has done nothing to justify it. He should be given the remainder of the season to sort himself out, stop sulking and start putting in a shift.

He isnt the type of player that works his socks off like that - he wasnt last season either, but people werent bothered then because of his goals. :!:

:rover: i seem to remenber benny getting plenty off stick last season for his non-trying.were has this 5 million clause been reported,cannot believe rovers had allowed this after bellamys departure :brfcsmilie:

I still think he's a class act BUT we need more from him goals wise.

The fact that the modern day footballer can more or less hold to ransom the club by wanting more money for the same or less effort season by season 'or I'm off' sits rather awkwardly with me....I dont know if thats the norm in any other professions!!

* He isnt the type of player that works his socks off like that - he wasnt last season either, but people werent bothered then because of his goals. :!:

Im sure if he wasnt working hard then Hughes would of spotted it via Pro-zone. Dont be naive, its just a lack of confidence on his part infront of goal. Yes his head got turned, but if you had the chance tomorrow of doubling your salary, working at a better company (top 4 side), in a better market (champs league) would you not think about it?!?!

**Like Pedersen, if either were to re-discover there form then both would be worth close to £10 million each.

* i`d rather see players putting the effort in, battling & looking interested in the :brfc: cause.

** i cannot remember the last good performance either of them had.

Q....how long can a premiership team keep carrying players who constantly under perform at the top level? If Hughes doesn`t get a grip of these players soon, i can see a relegation struggle next season.

If i was Hughes, i`d consider any offers for both McCarthy & Gamst at the end of the season.....if their performances don`t improve vastly. Ship them out & get some new 'hungry' blood in!

Benni aint been awful like people are saying or discracefull its just when someone plays that good its wierd when they dont perform up to the same standards the season after or whatever.

If Santa Cruz aint doing this well come this time next season our fans will be the same. :rolleyes:

Benni will perform again im sure of it.. Santa cruz has took the team by storm and is getting the goals upfront.. just like Benni was last season!

Benni McCarthy is a terrific player.

Things went on in the summer and he didn't start well, he got dropped.

The thing with Benni in the last half dozen or more games he has played is that he really has put effort in.

He doesn't run around like a headless chicken like Savage, but he isn't meant to. During the Arsenal game he tracked back a lot, and he was deep in our half on a number of occasions as well as being up in the opposition box trying to get on the end of chances. I am sure his pro zone stats would show he is not as lazy as some seem to think.

He is however a striker off form. The encouraging thing for me about that is he is still getting in positions and getting chances, he is just low on confidence, in a bit of a rut so a lot of what he is trying isn't coming off. It is when a player isn't getting chances that you really need to worry. He is a quality finisher as we have all seen, and when he does get a goal or two I reckon it will be the first of many (optimistically he could even fire us into Europe).

I know it is taking a bit of time but people should get off his back, some of the criticism is ridiculous, he is genuinely one of the few really creative players we have and we should give him a bit more support.

Le Chuck pointed out recently when I was slagging off MGP how fans show players no loyalty, yet we expect loyalty from players. In that case I pointed out how MGP would move to a bigger club in a shot, and how anyone who doesn't perform in their job for 3 years should expect to be fired (In the ''real world.'')

However, in this particular case, I would agree with Le Chucks' general point (Adapting it to this case of course)

McCarthy was brilliant last year, and has performed adequately this season in most parts, hitting a half decent goal return.

Considering what he has given the club in black and white stats, as well as performances warrant him being given another year atleast to prove his worth at this level. If the only way to ensure this is to offer him a contract to remove this clause then so be it.

It may also give help him, knowing exactly where his heart and head needs to be for the forseeable, as I have no doubt this lack of certainty has effect his form.

I'm constantly amazed at the amount of abuse Benni gets here. There's been many matches where he's been playing more like a player in the hole behind Santa, with his foot on the ball controling and holding up play. I think he's modified his game to try and fit in w/ Santa up front. and adjusting your game takes time and may lead to a bit of a bad patch. To claim we should let our most talented striker walk away because some people feel he shold never want a pay raise is crazy.

Oh, and to whoever tried to correlate this to the "Real world".. in the real world that I live in, it's not uncommon for an employer to lose an employee to another firm "tapping him up". Its not uncommon for employees wanting the move to another firm if the grass is greener or they see a pay day. It is also not uncommon to see people still employed when you are constantly amazed by their incompetence. People want their players to bleed teh blue and white, that's fine. But ask yourself, if your employer looked at you and said, "we don't think you are trying hard enough, no, we don't have any reall evidence, but we feel this way. So, you aren't getting a raise this time around, and likely, in a year, we're just going to let you got with no compensation. Now go out there and try hard." how would you feel?

As long as he does not cost anymore in wages etc. we should keep him...He was very good last season and I think his confidence has gone this season..he can only get better..We are quick to want to get shot of players when they have an off time...MGP will get better too...I just wish Sparky would show Benni what the offside rule is...

Benni McCarthy is a terrific player.

During the Arsenal game he tracked back a lot...

Yeah he might have tracked back but did you see his marking for the senderos goal? Not even a proper attempt to challenge him to the ball. Fair play he's not a defender but he could have but a better challenge in for the goal,even a half decent attempt could have put senderos off. I would personally pack his bags for him. Im not being hasty but he was ready for the off in the summer so why should we keep him let alone offer an improved deal when he's playing like a man with one leg.

Sorry to ask but are you jason roberts in disguise? <_<

Yeah he might have tracked back but did you see his marking for the senderos goal? Not even a proper attempt to challenge him to the ball. Fair play he's not a defender but he could have but a better challenge in for the goal,even a half decent attempt could have put senderos off. I would personally pack his bags for him. Im not being hasty but he was ready for the off in the summer so why should we keep him let alone offer an improved deal when he's playing like a man with one leg.

Sorry to ask but are you jason roberts in disguise? <_<

I'm sorry if he was a bit crap at marking their big centre half at the corner, I don't recall that being on his c.v. however, surely the biggest mistake there was committed by the person organizing who is marking whom.

Also one of Benni's big 'problems' is being caught offside, to me, in my playing experience, the fault is equally often that of the player passing the ball. When a striker ( especially one without much pace ) is playing on the shoulder of a defender he is constantly looking to make runs through, and trying to anticipate the timing of the pass to stay on side, this is not helped by slow through balls. I can remember one incident in the Arsenal game ( I use this as it is the most recent ) when Bentley received the ball in the middle of the park under no pressure Benni made his run but it took 2 or 3 seconds for Bentley to play the ball and so Benni was offside. THis happens a fair bit and I'm not blaming either in particular. It just happens if you are not that quick you have to take chances to get that break.

I don't think Benni has done well this season, but as Hughesy says form is temporary and class is permanent, and I strongly believe that Benni is class and will come good.

Just like some people thought last season his goals led to other parts of his game being overlooked, I think this season the negative parts of his game are being blown out of all proportion.

I just hope we can all gain a little perspective.

MGP is a different story though, he was never that great, and although I still think he has had a positive impact on some games, if he doesn't improve quick smart then we need a replacement in the summer.

The fact that the modern day footballer can more or less hold to ransom the club by wanting more money for the same or less effort season by season 'or I'm off' sits rather awkwardly with me....I dont know if thats the norm in any other professions!!

Rovers are moving into a very uncomfortable area indeed whereby the players will be aware that once their feet are under the table there is no money available to replace them. It's almost a case of "Sign up for Blackburn and you'll receive a bumber pay rise every 12 -24 months!" at the moment.

MGP is a different story though, he was never that great, and although I still think he has had a positive impact on some games, if he doesn't improve quick smart then we need a replacement in the summer.

I'd take the opposite viewpoint. Both MGP and Benni are capable of miles better than they've shown this season, and I've no idea if either will ever get back to any sort of form.

However age wise, time is on MGP's side, whereas in Benn's case it is not. I'd rather gamble on MGP finding form again rather than miss out on a big fee for Benni only to find his slump in form is irreversible due to the march of father time.

Archived