BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy's New Contract

That's the general opinion if I may say so . Santa might just need a break for a game or two and McCarthy can bugger off for ever as far as I'm concerned .

Roberts and Derbs deserve a chance .

They've had chances. Whenever either have started, they've come up short. What's the point in that?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They've had chances. Whenever either have started, they've come up short. What's the point in that?

Not proper chances with a consistent run Den, and add to the fact that Derbyshire keeps getting played out of position he has still managed to score goals and Roberts has certainly set up a few.

Den, you can also add the old saying "the harder you try the luckier you get."

A lazy prima dona will get bugger all back - as has been shown this season. Both Roberts and Derbyshire have points to prove and to put it simply....offer more to our team than Benni McCarthy.

Pre-season, Hughes was going on about the competition for places up-front. However, he seems very reluctant to start anyone else, apart from Santa (even when he looks knackered) and Benni.

Hughes clearly does not have full faith in Derbyshire (yet) and Roberts (to start a match and 'make an impact').

All in all, some tough decisions to make in the summer, as ideally you want to have faith in more than one striker (Santa). Oh, and I forgot poor old Rigters, who should have been loaned out long before now (I know he still is playing reserve matches).

As for Benni, enough is very much becoming enough. We need a lot more.

The point is, John, he has had faith in starting Derbs and Roberts previously, and they did nothing. Damned if you do and damned............ Wouldn't like to have to make that choice myself. However, whilst Benni continues to disappoint...

Not sure of the stats, but he has started them for the odd game.

Neither Derbs or Roberts has had a decent run in the team (not saying I would, but I was the not the one w**king over how strong our striking options were at the start of the season).

Benni isnt exactley a perfect foil for Santa Cruz i mean Cruzy wins the flicks ons but whos there to run onto them? NO ONE!

Our strikers play is mostly patient build up and getting it out wide and wait for the balls to come into the box, whilst i agree that Benni isnt him from last year the style of strikers play this season is different to last.

Benni isn't lazy hes just casual and he needs to be to get into goalscoring positions.

Jason Roberts has made 11 league starts since July 2006.

Matt Derbyshire has made 12 league starts since December 2006.

For me that ain't enough chances. Every Rovers fan I know is getting sick and tired of Benni - he wasn't playing particularly well when he was scoring last season, but this season it must be very frustrating for a future England-hopeful to sit on the bench and stew over the fact that some overpaid lazy mercenary is getting chance after chance.

:rover: The thing with sparky he will stick with santa till the cows come home,the same could be said off benni but he has dropped him several times this season when he gives derbs or roberts a go.they continually look out of place in the single game they start and benni is back in the team.i for one think derbyshire is the best finisher at the club and should be given a run with santa,not one game but at least 5.benni can go off and sulk in spain :brfcsmilie:

Benni isn't lazy hes just casual and he needs to be to get into goalscoring positions.

benni is a lazy arse because point in fact, when he loses posession of the ball, more often than not he stands throwing his arms aloft like a ###### child and stands there doing bugger all with a "i can't be arsed" attitude. another of benni's problems stems from the fact that he does not get himself into good scoring positions, as you quite rightly pointed out....so he feels the need to get involved and comes far too deep and therefore is completely out of position, which like a domino....means that the central midfielders defend far too deep aswell and gives us no drive from central midfield.

i feel that benni is losing the support of the fans, myself included because he shows so little effort, too much of the time. something that i am sure every member of this board would agree on is that we can all forgive a lack of skill or talent, but never will we forgive a lack of effort.

So Benni's problem is that he is lazy, but that he comes back to look for the ball when he is not getting it? I agree with some of the points on this thread but come on, the guy can't win!

That's the general opinion if I may say so . Santa might just need a break for a game or two and McCarthy can bugger off for ever as far as I'm concerned .

Roberts and Derbs deserve a chance .

Spot on, but Matty is carrying a double hernia which could be holding Hughesy back in starting the lad.

Yes the other two do need resting and possibly Bentley aswell.

"Given the fact that McCarthy hasn't scored in open play in his last 18 matches - he's managed just three goals from open play in the Premiership this season - and given the fact that many of his performances have been so dire for us this season, I can't entirely understand why sections of the Rovers crowd seem so keen to chant "BENNI McCARTHY, BENNI McCARTHY" when he does one of his fancy little flicks that often only results in giving the ball away to the opposition."

When the Blackburn End start chanting Benni's name there's a couple of us up in JW upper who sing 'Lazy McOffside!' Seems a more apt reflection of his contributions...

Roberts & Derbyshire both show a hell of a lot more passion & commitment & both should start before Benni in future games. Penalties aside, their contributions are more valuable to us than McCarthy's. Last season it was McCarthy's goals which spared him from criticism. This season its not even happening for him in front of goal - its not even as if he misses a great deal of chances, he just doesnt seem to be getting himself into goalscoring positions which is entirely about workrate. Cruz & McCarthy dont seem to link up much either.

The thing is with Derbyshire, he isn't good enough to start at this level (Ie, upper regions of the Premier League).

He is a good impact player to have off the bench but every time he has started he has disappointed. People can say that he hasn't had enough, but the point is if he really was good enough, he would have shone in the 20 odd starts he's had for the club, but he hasn't overly impressed in one.

That for me leaves it as a straight choice between McCarthy and Roberts.

Entirely agree shillito, and for my money exactly the same applies to Roberts. Hence why BMcC keeps on starting - there's no realistic alternative.

How do you both work that one out - when out of those 'starts' - Derbyshire has primarily been played out of position?

He is a striker and not a right sided midfield - and given the fact we have not exactly been performing well as a team is it any wonder he may not as performed as well as expected. Add to the fact that he is carrying the hernias , he has still contributed far more IMO.

You could possibly argue that about Roberts , but again he has not been given a consistent run but has certainly contributed well given the chance.

I have no doubt that McCarthy will be on the bench for the next game.

The reason he has started the last two is that he played very well against Bolton. He followed that up with a poor performance against Newcastle but Sparky, quite understandably, wanted to give him another shot. He then put in a poor shift against Fulham.

So now he will be dropped. Pretty obvious really, and the correct course of action. What interests me is whether Roberts or Derbyshire can make an impact. My money would not really be on it. But I would say that they would offer more all round.

Thing that worries me is now Roques is beginning to look off the pace. As well as Bentley. Just at the time when largely the rest of the team is performing better.

Football, eh.

How do you both work that one out - when out of those 'starts' - Derbyshire has primarily been played out of position?

He is a striker and not a right sided midfield - and given the fact we have not exactly been performing well as a team is it any wonder he may not as performed as well as expected. Add to the fact that he is carrying the hernias , he has still contributed far more IMO.

You could possibly argue that about Roberts , but again he has not been given a consistent run but has certainly contributed well given the chance.

No no... He has never been played as a right winger in a 4-4-2, he has either played up front or on the right hand side of a ''front three'' (Like Agbonlahor, Rooney and other such good enough strikers have done successfully).

Never has he impressed.

You might say that but if memory serves me correctly Derbyshire has still registered one more Premiership goal from open play than McCarthy, despite far less time on the pitch.

Not directly aimed at you but why is we will always clutch at straws when it comes to local lads yet when our more established stars aren't at 100% we open threads discussing the best way to dispose of them.

If you want a team full of local lads it can be easily arranged, and in a couple of years it will be saving you a few bob on your (League 1) season ticket.

• 4 weeks later...

what was he on before? sitting at my desk at work, i cannot imagine how 40,000 pounds goes to 1 man per week for kicking a football.

edit.

sitting on the bench with the best view in the house on a Saturday afternoon.

If this is true it makes me sick....click

A guy that is showing no passion for the club on field.

We are not suffering without him in recent games.

He has always stated that he wants to move away.

And he gets a 'reward' of 40k a week.

Surly we could have sold him in the summer for a few million and stuck that 40k a week to someone else.

It just amazes me whats going on here.

Archived