BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy's New Contract

But gambit what do the fans want?do they want a hardworking 5 goal a season dickov or a lazy 20 plus goal benni who wil take us into europe on a consistent basis and challenging the top teams?not only is benni a good player,but you know that he is quality and a threat to rival teams.

:rover: i could not believe it when rovers signed ashley ward and paul dickov,with benni you have to take his work rate and when he is scoring it's acceptable.i begin to wonder why we signed santa cruz in the 1st place,because hughes refuses to play them as a front pair,was he expecting benni to leave???????????santa has started virtually every league game and has been playing well,why do we not try and play benni futher forward,after all 2 upfront at home should be the norm :brfcsmilie:

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But gambit what do the fans want?do they want a hardworking 5 goal a season dickov or a lazy 20 plus goal benni who wil take us into europe on a consistent basis and challenging the top teams?

Anyone would take a lazy "20 plus goal" Benni, it's a lazy "two goals this season from open play" Benni which poses the dilemma.

The point about him not being the same because he isn't the focal point of the attack may have some merit, but what's the alternative?

Sacrifice RSC?

Anyone would take a lazy "20 plus goal" Benni, it's a lazy "two goals this season from open play" Benni which poses the dilemma.

The point about him not being the same because he isn't the focal point of the attack may have some merit, but what's the alternative?

Sacrifice RSC?

Playing a new position doesn't change the place of the goal when you're only 6 yards out, does it.

Don't get me wrong. The fella has the potential to start playing brilliantly from the Bolton game until the rest of the season. I'd happily eat my words / hat.

One down eleven to go!

Contrast the Pens today with that one at Wigan. Especially the second. Get in.

Brilliant performance from Benni-he looked like a man possesed in the first half! Shooting within the first 10 seconds set the tone, the conviction that he smashed in the penalties summouned up the effort that he gave. Hopefully this will be the start of a very strong run in for the South African, maybe the potential of a new contract is spurring him on!

From what I've seen of Benni so far I'd have to agree with those who think his drop in form is due to him being shifted out of position. He is a fairly lethargic player, but a great finisher and quite good at getting into goalscoring positions. His work rate means he isn't good enough at playing a deeper role than we used him in last season. If anything it should probably be Roque playing like that I would think.

Benni might not have had as good a season as last but he showed yesterday what a quality player he is. We need to keep hold of him - you'd struggle to find someone as good with the money we'd have available.

You wouldn't struggle to find someone more interested though, which can balance it off a bit.

Don't laugh at me for saying that i think Benni would fit into the team better if he was allowed to play mor of a midfield role just behind the front two.

He is great in receiveg and holding a ball up and his vision and flicks can make chances for the forwards, he could be our next Tugay IMO.

Don't laugh at me for saying that i think Benni would fit into the team better if he was allowed to play mor of a midfield role just behind the front two.

He is great in receiveg and holding a ball up and his vision and flicks can make chances for the forwards, he could be our next Tugay IMO.

Why can't we laugh ?

For me he isn't mobile enough for that role. When he has played in that role - e.g. Arsenal - he seems to get crowded out and not given sufficient room to work his magic. As he has shown on a number of occasions the ideal player for that role is Bents - shame we can't clone him so he could also cover the right side of midfield.

He's not a good enough passer of the ball either. Bentley can play there, but his best position seems to be right midfield.

Given time to get used to it though, he might fit in just as well in central midfield - who knows. But Benni's position should be near the opposition's goal, where he can use his skill and finish it off.

It really comes down to whether Sparky has seen his abilities go past the point at which he can operate in the Prem. He saw Savage could no longer perform and sensitively drew the line even though it seems Sav reacted pretty badly at first and clearly damaged the squad morale with some unsavoury comparissons.

In the first 15 minutes against Arsenal, Tugay was a yard too slow in thinking, movement, passing, posession... everything. But then, he got to grips and was a prime reason why we ended the first half with a 53-47 advantage in posession (over the Arse at the Emirates!) and was prime mover of many good things we did in the second half. I am sure that if Sparky can see any justification for keeping Tugay, he will do so- he's obviously a big fan of the great man's natural abilities but the hesitation shows his physical abilities must now be marginal at this level.

I think we should definitely award the other contracts including to Benni. With the market the way it is, we can no longer be certain of landing our transfer targets or of getting lucky with hidden gems. It is a matter of hanging onto everybody who is of decent Prem standard and can do a job for us.

I think this season might bring an end to Tugays incredible career and his playing days at Rovers might be over which is going to be a sad day.

I have slated him in the past but it doesnt deflect or negate the massive respect that I have for him for what he has done for BRFC.

ALL careers have to end and this is Tugays swansong. A fitting epitaph would be for him to score the goal of the decade and cement Rovers place in the top 6 before signing off as a player. I woner if he has notions of taking up a coaching career because there is no doubt that he can have a massive influence on youngsters.

Get him on the backroom staff and let him flourish the youth into mini Tugays.

It would a great shame if we couldn't keep Tugay for another year, but I guess his wages could fund a player that might start every week.

His and Savage's certainly should, those 1,5m+wages certainly hasn't been spent on new players yet. Trouble is, we need more than a player that start every week. Tugay is still worth a new contract in my opinion.

Tugay is still worth a new contract in my opinion.

We have to replace him sooner or later and his legs are not getting any younger. He is still good for the odd goal or amazing pass but the majority of the time he is not up to it. Still a legend though. :rover:

Archived