BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy's New Contract

There's a strange story kicking around that Benni McCarthy has signed a new deal...

I have no idea why that has happened, but I'm sure there will be a good reason. :o

Does this not have something to do with the South African football asosciation if thats what i can call them wishing to take around 50 top South African international players away from their clubs until the 2010 world cup finals are over.

I heard thats what their government want them to do so in order to give them the best chance possible come 2010 world cup finals, if so they'll then have to pay MaCarthy and Mokoenas wages until then.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully Hughes's confidence in McCarthy will pay off. A Year ago, £40k p/w would have seemed a bargain. I hope he can recapture his old form.

With it looking likely that Roberts will move on, it is important to keep McCarthy at the club.

Unless Benni is utterly unprofessional (and Sparky and JW will have done a lot of soul-searching and checking on that), it is a win-win for Rovers.

Folks posting on this board still haven't grasped how doolally the transfer market is. Even with one or two big spenders sitting on their thumbs this summer, there will be more money than players sloshing around the EPL transfer bazarr. Likelihood is that each of the newly promoted clubs will be able to spend the £30m Bristol City have promised without endangering the club's long term future when they go straight back down.

On that basis, Rovers taking away the release clause from Benni's contract for "a few K a week" makes sense as it puts the club in the driving seat on any negotiations- signing the deal doesn't make a whole lot of difference over whether Benni is in play for a transfer this summer or not. However, it is now much more Rovers' call than the player or his agent's.

So on the basis that a non-scoring 30 something Mark Viduka cost Newcastle £5m last summer, Rovers could no doubt listen to offers of £6m or so for Benni and the £150K or so in additional wages paid between now and some point in the transfer window would look a good investment.

On the other hand, I believe Benni has masses of talent and is far too good a player not to rediscover his form of last season. Which of course would also be a win for Rovers.

Finally, having the host's all time greatest scorer on Rovers' books is going to get the Rovers unprecedented coverage and exposure in the run up to the next World Cup.

Mods- might make sense to relocate this and other posts to Benni's new contract thread

Unless Benni is utterly unprofessional (and Sparky and JW will have done a lot of soul-searching and checking on that), it is a win-win for Rovers.

Folks posting on this board still haven't grasped how doolally the transfer market is. Even with one or two big spenders sitting on their thumbs this summer, there will be more money than players sloshing around the EPL transfer bazarr. Likelihood is that each of the newly promoted clubs will be able to spend the £30m Bristol City have promised without endangering the club's long term future when they go straight back down.

On that basis, Rovers taking away the release clause from Benni's contract for "a few K a week" makes sense as it puts the club in the driving seat on any negotiations- signing the deal doesn't make a whole lot of difference over whether Benni is in play for a transfer this summer or not. However, it is now much more Rovers' call than the player or his agent's.

So on the basis that a non-scoring 30 something Mark Viduka cost Newcastle £5m last summer, Rovers could no doubt listen to offers of £6m or so for Benni and the £150K or so in additional wages paid between now and some point in the transfer window would look a good investment.

On the other hand, I believe Benni has masses of talent and is far too good a player not to rediscover his form of last season. Which of course would also be a win for Rovers.

Finally, having the host's all time greatest scorer on Rovers' books is going to get the Rovers unprecedented coverage and exposure in the run up to the next World Cup.

Mods- might make sense to relocate this and other posts to Benni's new contract thread

Lets hope the world cup finals are a strong motivation for Benni to rediscover his form, nobody disagrees about his ability its his application on the pitch which challenges the supporters.

Can fully see the exposure and coverage from a Rovers perspective but South Africas international football team are rubbish utter rubbish which for me is another negative that Rovers could be attached to again .

Benni has been out of form yes, but he has also been out of the team a lot too. Last season he played more or less every game and got 20+ goals, this season he hasn’t played anywhere near as much and the midfield hasn’t created anywhere as near as many chances for the strikers this season.

Pedersen was awful for the 1st 25 or so games of the season, but he is now starting to show signs of improvement and I think he is starting to get over his confidence blip. No doubt that if given the chance a proven continental striker with bags of experience can do exactly the same. He is technically our best player and he has potential to bag 20 goals a season. How many more can do that in the prem? And if they can, how much would one of them cost us??

Yes he has got a £5k payrise, so what! We have removed a dangerous, low clause! Also the 40k is a sign of what is on offer for Bentley, no doubt his offer will be around the same money.

The only way I can see a new contract being worth it is if:

1) The release clause is lower than published. Five million is not going to be triggered by anyone at the moment, and is it was it would represent decent value. If the clause is lower I could see the value in getting him to sign agains so, if he goes, we get more for him.

2)Sparky feels that he can get more out of McCarthy. For me that is not just an attitudinal thing (although thats part of it), but more about us finding a way of playing to his strengths without damaging the rest of the team. In or around the box he is deadly (well, maybe not this season). But he needs to get decent service and support whilst he is in that area for it to work. Sadly, because everyone (including, most definately, McCarthy) are so slow it is incredibly easy for whoever we are playing to keep a high line with little fear of us getting in behind them. We then get congested as McCarthy and Cruz come deep. Early in the season we tried to combat this by pushing really far up the pitch ourselves at the back, forcing the opposition onto the back foot. Unfortunately we then got murdered on the counter attack (Wigan and Villa being particuarly horrific examples).

I just can't see how we can make the most of him unless we get some fast wingers or we are prepared to gamble by playing high up the pitch again. Nelsen coming back should help with our defensive solidarity (if he is properly fit) but this season so often, Bentley aside, our midfielders have rarely supplied the quality and got forward in the way we need. For me it would much better suit us as a team if we sold him to get a pacy striker to stretch the back line and work with Cruz. McCarthy relies on others to make the yards for him and this inturn leaves us exposed at the back and disjointed on the pitch. I cannot see a future for him at Rovers.

All that said, Sparky will know better than me.

Absolutely insane - unless the move is purely with a view to shifting him on in the summer at an increased price minus any "clause" etc.

Unfortunately, the way he's been playing, can't see anyone even wanting to pay 5m for him, let alone an amount in excess of that.

:angry:

Link to Daily Mail Article

No direct (or indeed indirect quotes) in the short article, but if it is true and he does sign then it is a bit of a surprise seeing as how he can't get in the first team right now. The article implies it is a pay rise, so in fairness he potentially is worth all his dough at £40K PW when you hear what other doughnuts are getting paid in the Premier League.

Glad he is staying...he still has talent and an eye for goal.

Million dollar question is ... does he though?

If Hughes still thinks he has it why isn't he playing him from teh start?

Been a constant squabble about us not being able to pay wages ... so I don't get it unless its a possible performance based contract.

Pathetic - McCarthy got hardly any time when we werealready out of the game, yet he gets the blame from some. We missed him today.

I'm not sure we would of really. We only got a sniff on the counter. We were so pegged back he would have been completely ineffective. It was only when we pushed up and gambled a bit we could bring a player like Benni into the game. But then we lost a goal on the break.

That said for the two games after Man Utd I can see Hughes starting with 3 up front. Nothing to play for and it would be interesting to change things up. Plus if Hughes wants to keep Roberts he needs to convince him there is a place for him.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived