BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Realistic Summer Moves

One player that looks to be leaving Rovers is Andre Ooijer. According to Skysports.com, he will use Euro 2008 as a shop window, as he doesn't want to sit on the bench at Rovers. I understand his frustration. I think that he has been our best defender this season and has played much better than Nelsen has. However, once Nelsen returned from injuries, Ooijer was automatically dropped, no matter how well he had been playing and no matter how poorly Nelsen was playing. Moreover, I think that he would have been a far better option at right back than Steven Reid was. He would be a big loss if he left.

Rovers exercised their right to extend his contract to summer 2009 as recently as February. Unless they did it so he couldn't leave on a Bosman, would be strange for him to leave just 4-5 months later.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There were some interesting quotes from Craig Bellamy in his post-match interview here.

"It's been a tough year, not just injury-wise, a lot has gone on off the pitch as well

"I'm 28 and if I really want to attack my career I still know I've got the best couple of years ahead of me."

"This could break me if I approach my rehab in an 'east-osey' sort of way and not come back at the level I wanted to come back at, so I really attacked it and I think it will pay dividends for me over the next couple of years."

Interesting that he mentions 'off the pitch' problems as well as injuries, that possibly indicates he's not too happy at West Ham. If he's looking for a way out, and we still have Hughes in charge, I'd take him back in an instant. I'd imagine he might welcome the move as well, Hughes proved he can get the best out of him whilst most others struggle.

Also, aren't West Ham trying to pay high earners to leave the club? They might be willing to cut their loses on a player who was injured for most of last season and let him go relatively cheaply. A fit Bellamy and Santa Cruz would be lethal. He seems genuinely hungry from those quotes as well, and he always gives his all on the pitch.

There's going to be a lot of IF's here but....

If we keep Hughes...

And if we keep our best players....

And if we bought Bellamy.....

And if we were reasonably lucky with injuries next season...

We'd be challenging for the top 4 imo. We'd be certs for the top 6.

If we keep Hughes...

Agree with all of that although it might also more specifically apply to Bellamy being a lot more injury free than normal.

If we keep Hughes...

Even Everton aren't really challenging for the top 4, and we certainly wouldnt be "dead certs" for the top 6. Everton and Villa finished above us, Spurs have bought some real quality, Portsmouth arent too far behind us either...

There were some interesting quotes from Craig Bellamy in his post-match interview here.

"It's been a tough year, not just injury-wise, a lot has gone on off the pitch as well

"I'm 28 and if I really want to attack my career I still know I've got the best couple of years ahead of me."

"This could break me if I approach my rehab in an 'east-osey' sort of way and not come back at the level I wanted to come back at, so I really attacked it and I think it will pay dividends for me over the next couple of years."

Interesting that he mentions 'off the pitch' problems as well as injuries, that possibly indicates he's not too happy at West Ham. If he's looking for a way out, and we still have Hughes in charge, I'd take him back in an instant. I'd imagine he might welcome the move as well, Hughes proved he can get the best out of him whilst most others struggle.

Also, aren't West Ham trying to pay high earners to leave the club? They might be willing to cut their loses on a player who was injured for most of last season and let him go relatively cheaply. A fit Bellamy and Santa Cruz would be lethal. He seems genuinely hungry from those quotes as well, and he always gives his all on the pitch.

Let's just say he's got family problems and leave it at that.

which simply wouldn't happen...

He came to us from Newcastle and was significantly less injured than previously in his career. Same goes for Cruz, David Dunn, Warnock. Maybe we could get him back on track again. I woudn't bet against it - and more importantly Bellamy might not as well.

On the other hand Bellamy doesn't seem like the kind of player to go back to an old club. If Hughes stays he might be tempted though. Not sure how we would get his wages down however.

More Goss from the BBC on Norwegian club Stabaek's Ghanaian midfielder Anthony Annan is a £3m target for Blackburn, Bolton and Middlesbrough (The Sun)

(Reliable sources then! LOL)

Annan is on loan from Start to Stabæk. The loan deal ends at the end of june I believe. Stabæk do not have the money to buy the Annan and Start wants to sell him. Annan has also said he would like to play in the PL so the Sun might not be that wrong. I think Annan would be a good signing for us. A very good defensive midfield player.

Everyone seems to be away on holiday at the moment, so really think all stories circulating at this time are media created rubbish.

Mid June things should pick up again, and then kick off in July.

Why qualify the statement as being this time of the year? The media is generally talking drivel all year round.

if we are in the market for a striker we could take a look at roque santa cruz's paraguayan team mate salvador cabanas,described by bbc south american correspondent as the best finisher in latin america. he plays for mexican club side america and might play in tonights friendly with france

if we are in the market for a striker we could take a look at roque santa cruz's paraguayan team mate salvador cabanas,described by bbc south american correspondent as the best finisher in latin america. he plays for mexican club side america and might play in tonights friendly with france

He would certainly not add any pace to our lineup. The guy is seriously large. On the other hand, somebody might pick him up since America could see changes after their Clausura debacle. Even if they somehow manage to win Copa Libertadores.

He would certainly not add any pace to our lineup. The guy is seriously large. On the other hand, somebody might pick him up since America could see changes after their Clausura debacle. Even if they somehow manage to win Copa Libertadores.

He's faster than what we have and he was the only player on the pitch last night for Paraguay who impressed. Santa Cruz did pretty well, but was hardly involved. They are a very poor side.

He's faster than what we have and he was the only player on the pitch last night for Paraguay who impressed. Santa Cruz did pretty well, but was hardly involved. They are a very poor side.

Do you have a link to a team sheet that lists him? I think you might be thinking about Oscar Cardozo of Benfica or maybe Nelson Valdez.

Archived