BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Liverpool V Rovers

bently should of been playing wide and not in the middle, we missed his crosses, and a central midfield player he is not.

at the middle of the back four we pack pace. this needs to be fixed.

middle field no bite no forward passing, not a good sign

still there is always next season

off on our hoildays see you all friday

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"denies an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick"

I wouldn't call a Roberts 1 on 1 an obvious goalscoring opportunity anyway :)

It doesn't matter whether he should have been sent off or not - Samba should have been sent off too and Torres could have had a penalty in the second half. I really wish Hughes wouldn't moan about the ref after a game.

mmmm.... didn't see the 2nd half but what I saw in the first was enough to comment upon and after reading through people's comments on here and am totally glad I didn't see it .

Anyway, at least a few more people are taking off the blue tinted specs instead of thinking everything is rosy instead of looking at what is happening in front of their eyes.

Maybe not relegation, but I mentioned after the Boro game unless we sorted ourselves out and started looking like we where pushing for that European place I had fears we would be battling at the wrong end of the League next season if we didnt' get there - which IMO is becoming more apparent every game and has finally gone out of the window moreso now with Citeh being back above us another thing I expected also come the Portsmouth game.

In addition, as mentioned also prior to the game that it was one that to me Benni should have been starting.

As what has been mentioned before, you can accept losing if you put in a performance ... but it would appear that we just didn't.

However points from the game:

Lot of managerial errors

Bentley - yet again we can all see that Bentley offers nothing starting in the middle the same as when he is played as 2nd striker also :wstu:right - he plays on the right so keep him there ( btw despite Nicko's comments I think he is off anyhow)

SAMBA - Should have been sent off no question about it - goalscoring chance, last man and didn't even attempt to go for the ball (as mentioned didn't see the Skrtel but reading into it sounds like it evened up)

1st penalty call - Not a penalty but seen them given - lucky but though Friedal was rather slow going for the ball - don't understand why keepers don't go for the ball with their legs either ie attempt to tackle like an outfield player.

Highlighted the fact of how static and slow we are and responding to second balls (especially in defence and attack) as well as how predictable we are in our build up.

Players - as mentioned basing on first half - I though all the defence was awful as well as Reid (yet another dodgey backpass -very poor) and Emerton, Vogel (didn't realise he was playing but will reserve judgement) and Pedersen who IMO was absolutely shocking and whenever the ball went to him play either broke down or the ball just went backwards.

Lot of questions need to be ask, and yesterday cannot just be put down to just a bad day at the office as this has happened far too many times this season.

In answer to Rev, IMO we have been poor since going out of Europe - somehow though which goes someway to proving that we can be quite decent when we want to show it we have managed to hang in there however there are alot of worrying factors that give rise to the fears for next season.

The fact of the matter is that it was a must win game after Villa's result on Saturday. For that you expect the players to give it their all and at least 'die trying'.

Did that happen? Not even remotely so and it's a poor poor reflection on the players' current attitude the way it went.

Main problem is, the team that was so hard to beat and nobody liked playing from the last couple of seasons was built not on skill but on workrate, enthusiasm and togetherness. All of those commodities are now gone and one has to question whether the constant criticism from the media previously has made Hughes go into 'I'll show 'em' mode and try to build a team intent on outfootballing the opposition when clearly it's not good enough to do so.

I too find it hard to believe that the old favourites get a game week in week out, regardless of form or the good form of their replacements. I hate the fact we are so bloody slow on the counter attack, when we are supposedly a counter attacking team and I also feel sorry for the likes of Dunn, Oooijer, Zurab and Derbyshire who can't get a game even though they have done little or nothing wrong. Like it or not, the manager has a lot to answer for.

And one more thing, what the hell happened on the winter sunshine break? If that's recharging the batteries and coming back refreshed then I'll spend £100 in the Roverstore.

SAMBA - Should have been sent off no question about it - goalscoring chance, last man and didn't even attempt to go for the ball

So true, the big fellow has no composure at all. In my opinion he is just a clumsy defender with the football-brain of a headless chicken who will never be able to perform on a regular basis. If anyone wants to pay good money for him then sell, but he might be worth keeping around (i.e trow him on as a striker for the last 5 minutes)..

Sorry Modes, not meaning to pick on your specifically, but I just cannot believe I'm reading comments like this from so many people.

We looked very shaky at the back, as if we might concede at any moment for almost the entire first half. There was the "almost" penalty incident and the red card that wasn't given and I remember Torres heading very narrowly wide from a corner. There were a few blocked shots in the box and a number of times when Liverpool players were brough down in dangerous positions and free kicks conceded. Gerrard, Torres, Kuyt and Babbel were found in space far too often.

IMO They had time and space but failed to use it to their advantage. They didn't really look like ripping us apart. Quite a few good tackles by the entire defence, although i did think Emerton was shown up as being awful defensively, with Samba needed to clean up his mess a number of times.

How many saves did Brad have to make in the game? I can think of 1.

They were better than us but didn't do a lot with the vast amounts of possession they had. Even more so when we went to 3 up front i thought we looked more dangerous than Liverpool.

Abject performance only astounded me more than than the team selection TBH, as usual, we managed to enhance our reputation for being an embarrasment on the telly!

Note to team from supporters:

YOU ARE NOT ON HOLIDAY YET, PLEASE IMPROVE in ALL AREA's, PROMPTLY, please (Urgently) show us that you give a stuff!

So true, the big fellow has no composure at all. In my opinion he is just a clumsy defender with the football-brain of a headless chicken who will never be able to perform on a regular basis. If anyone wants to pay good money for him then sell, but he might be worth keeping around (i.e trow him on as a striker for the last 5 minutes)..

Not sure about the composure bit krislu as to me this is what he does have on the ball just not off it, and he did make it up withn some timely tackles in the first half.

To be fair to Samba has looked off the pace for a while and it may have something to do with the birth of his child.

The real question to be asked though is what have OOjer and Kish done wrong?

We scored a perfectly legitimate goal early on if you apply Hackett's PIG guidelines which was scrubbed out.

Something I posted at the time it was put on here Rev - they can spout all they want about the 'PIG' but they certainly don't apply it as such which either means its 1.bollux (which it is anyway) or 2.even the officials don't understand it -(see #1)

Something I posted at the time it was put on here Rev - they can spout all they want about the 'PIG' but they certainly don't apply it as such which either means its 1.bollux (which it is anyway) or 2.even the officials don't understand it -(see #1)

It was at the kop end at Anfield. It was never ever going to go our way. It's an easy cop out for the officials.

It would have counted for the scousers at either end of Anfield or Ewood.

It's the big club syndrome, as mentioned at some game every week. The bias just seems to be getting worse.

IMO They had time and space but failed to use it to their advantage. They didn't really look like ripping us apart. Quite a few good tackles by the entire defence, although i did think Emerton was shown up as being awful defensively, with Samba needed to clean up his mess a number of times.

I have to disagree, I thought IMO it was painful to watch and I likened it to a death by a 1000 cuts i.e. slow and painful. Liverpool had all the time and space, Gerrard in particularly had freedom to roam wherever he wanted, something which you cannot allow him to do. I just felt it was a matter of time before Liverpool scored.

I’m absolutely gutted, not because we lost, I expected that, but in the manner we lost. We didn’t fight for the result or make it hard for them to get a win. We played against a team who must have been drained after a very difficult game against Arsenal, yet we hardly tested them at all.

The season is over as far as I’m concerned, I’m not going to bother watching us anymore of us this season, I’ll check the scores in the evening but that’s about it. I just feel utterly devastated and disappointed after such a great start and such promise showed at the start of the season.

Next season is a make or break season I feel, if we have another season of mid table and mixed performances I can see some of our key players leaving and Hughes going if a decent job comes along. I hope to god it doesn’t happen, but I just feel we have to show an improvement next season.

On another note next week is going to be hell for me, living with my father who is a life long Man U supporter. If form goes to plan, then i look forward to a week or so of banter :rolleyes:

It was at the kop end at Anfield. It was never ever going to go our way. It's an easy cop out for the officials.

It would have counted for the scousers at either end of Anfield or Ewood.

It's the big club syndrome, as mentioned at some game every week. The bias just seems to be getting worse.

Tend to disagree here Aggy - although the big club could have some persuasion

When I saw it first I definitely thought it was offside (still do if its how it should be called and how everybody thinks it should)

Mentioned this when I saw the Everton v West Spam highlights the other week and the decisions in that game.

My conclusion is that they are all clueless and don't even understand their own interpretations.

post edit - in addition I think Wylie is an awful ref but he certainly gave us some favourable deicisions yesterday and I only saw the first half

All in all i thought we did ok in the game. You are never going to go to Anfield and outplay them.

Barnsley did it not so long ago.

Considering there is a 7 point margin between us and the next team below, Hughes should have gone for this game with some attacking tactics and taken the game to Liverpool. Realistically this was the last chance for european footy. Why we played with the 'containing' tactics only Hughes knows. Liverpool were flat, tired from midweek and didn't really offer anything. Instead of capitilising on this, we played far too negatively. We showed far too much respect to Liverpool who have had an indifferent time in the league this season. When we went 1 nil down, mccarthy and dunn should have been on straight away, instead of 15 minutes later.

|When we eventually took the game to Liverpool with about 5 minutes left we looked quite dangerous but it was obviously too late.

I hope on ewood on Saturday we at least have a go at Utd and if we end up conceding a few so be it.

No, No ,No No no the assistant referee made a mistake thats all, simple as, its not complicatedat all its a split second judgement that he completely got it wrong.

Dont listen to Hansen and co on TV. spouting rubbish by just adding more confusion and complication to what is a simple offside Law.

:rover: can't believe how liverpoo manage to do so well in the champions league,penalty on tuesday night was ridiculous.DO THEY PAY THE REFS,im not expecting anything from this game,would love rovers to go to anfield and go for it,but that will not happen.season over as far as im concerned. :brfcsmilie:

:rover: steven gerrard is a cheat,is a cheat repeat for 5 mins.the game went as expected,santa won me £50 and i was happy.we played like a team on the beach,the ref made some terrible errors and we had no backbone.every goal came from our mistakes,but that is not unusual.samba is a liability,i feel sorry for him but rovers have given this man a 5 years contract on the basis off a decent half season.hughes keeps picking him,when he needs coaching.the blame rests with the manager.we will finish 7/8/9th this season and unless there is wholsale changes the bottom six beckons,if a team with boltons work ethic can struggle we should take note.THE WALKER TRUST NEEDS TO PUT UP OR SELL UP :brfcsmilie:

Barnsley did it not so long ago.

Considering there is a 7 point margin between us and the next team below, Hughes should have gone for this game with some attacking tactics and taken the game to Liverpool. Realistically this was the last chance for european footy. Why we played with the 'containing' tactics only Hughes knows. Liverpool were flat, tired from midweek and didn't really offer anything. Instead of capitilising on this, we played far too negatively. We showed far too much respect to Liverpool who have had an indifferent time in the league this season. When we went 1 nil down, mccarthy and dunn should have been on straight away, instead of 15 minutes later.

|When we eventually took the game to Liverpool with about 5 minutes left we looked quite dangerous but it was obviously too late.

I hope on ewood on Saturday we at least have a go at Utd and if we end up conceding a few so be it.

Got to agree, i question what the hell is Mark Hughes playing at.

He's not playing at anything, he simply isn't that great of a tactician. He's great at finding players, but his actual management leaves a lot to be desired. We were good when we played a high tempo "in your face" style, but the more I see of us and Hughes the more I start to believe that, that is all Hughes is capable of employing.

No, No ,No No no the assistant referee made a mistake thats all, simple as, its not complicated its split second judgement that got it wrong.

Dont listen to Hansen and co on TV. spouting rubbish by just adding more confusion and complication to what is a simple offside Law.

Not sure whether you jest or not Jal :rock:

I don't - and not just commenting on this match

As I said I thought it was offside also and would still call it as such

Obviously not that a simple offside law - so much so that all the officials /players /managers/fans don't have a clue

The entire sky program annoyed me. There was a pre match liverpool chat, a interview with Mark Hughes and then a montage of liverpools best bits this season. At half time they showed the 2 incidents you mentioned, nothing on the Roberts offside or the awful challenge by Srktel on Reid, which could have easily broken his ankle. They had Redknapp on there giving his opinion which is worth about as much as Lawrensons and no representative from rovers.

I feel the very same Modes. In fact I am considering giving up my Sky Sports and Setanta subscriptions after this season. Partly for the reason you have quoted and plenty more like that, and partly because as I have discussed on many occasions my feelings about the state of our beloved game at the PL level today, and my feelings that I am betraying my principles by continuing to support these corrupt and unashamedly biased TV stations. I have finally come the conclusion that I cannot stomach any more of the cheating and unashamed backing of players diving and deliberately conning refs by the pundits and comentators. It upsets me so much and quite frankly I don't need that kind of aggravation on a weekly basis, and nor does my poor wife deserve to have to put up with my black moods after most matches.

However, I don't want to go into that aspect now, as I promised I would never mention it again. What I do want to point out though is the small mitigating fact that in the half-time discussion on Gerrards' blatant dive and attempt to con the ref into a penalty decision, Ray Wilkinson (who I think is one of the honest pundits) did point out what I had noticed at the time of the incident, and that is that as Friedel pulled out of trying to grab the ball and rolled to one side trying to avoid contact, Gerrard went to ground anyway without any contact from Friedel and as he was going down he DELIBERATELY moved his leg out towards Friedel to ensure that there was contact made. You could see it very plainly on the TV replays in slow motion; Gerrard's right leg and foot is initially kind of folded closer to his body as he is going down, but just before he lands he extends his leg towards Friedel and makes sure there is contact.

Wilkinson is the only one that chose to highlight that part of the incident whilst the other two both took a different line. First Rednapp completely ignored it as if it had never happened and said it was clear penalty as contact was made. Gray did admit it was a deliberate attempt to con the ref, but took the line that that a lot of people consider this to be "clever play" nowadays and it is only a player "winning" a penalty for his team.

Quite frankly I have to say that there are a lot of people on here and throughout the game these days that obviously agree with Andy Gray. Whereas I find that part of today's football to be the the single most disgusting and puke inducing aspect, and is a major factor in my inability to accept this sort of dishonesty from today's millionaire footballers .

fife, Sky's coverage of the cricket is excellent though.

Football 365 give Gerrard a right shoeing here

Steven Gerrard

It is a shame that Sky transferred their attention to Old Trafford so quickly after Liverpool's victory over Blackburn Rovers because it would have been fascinating to hear Jamie Redknapp's explanation for Gerrard's dive in the closing moments of the match.

At half-time, Redknapp remained adamant that Gerrard - a former team-mate, of course, and probable future interviewee for Redknapp's Icons magazine - hadn't attempted to con the ref into awarding a penalty when Brad Friedel rushed out of goal and Gerrard shamelessly hung out a leg. It was an obvious reinactment of Robert Pires' infamous leg-out trick, a manoeuvre first committed against a Pompey side in the summer of 2003 managed by Jamie's father, Harry, and a piece of subterfuge that prompted considerable ire from the Redknapp household.

Yet it was the second dive by Gerrard, made late on under challenge by Christopher Samba, that was particularly ugly. On this occasion, it was made without any external contact and occurred when the game was already won. As such, it has received scant attention. Yet, to paraphrase what this column said of Cristiano Ronaldo's last-minute dive against Derby in December, the fact that the game had already been won meant this wasn't an act of desperation but one of instinct and thus all the worse.

And the Pundits here

Barrel, Fish, Bang

It might be too easy given Steven 'We Don't Do That Here' Gerrard's flouncing - and unsuccessful, so kudos Mr Wiley - attempt to con the referee at the weekend, but sod it.

Here are some interesting quotes by Fernando Torres from the October 11 edition of The Liverpool Echo:

"Here, they're not going to whistle for anything if you fall over. There's no point feigning anything because referees are fooled less. Moreover, it's your own team-mates like Steven Gerrard who don't like you using those tricks."

Also, hats off to your friend and mine (and definitely Mr Gerrard's) Andy Gray, whose scholarly appraisal of the situation on Sky Sports' 'Final Word' programme yesterday was: "Some would call it abusing the rules a little bit."

And While We're On This Soapbox

Just one more thing, as Columbo might say (imagine if he wrote Mediawatch - now that would be entertaining and irreverent, don't you think?).

Good to see that the pundits across the land are maintaining absolute impartiality when it comes to Mr Gerrard.

Alan Hansen for example, insisted that Stevie's tumble merited a penalty on Match Of The Day 2, while Jamie Redknapp's 'analysis' on Sky Sports went thus:

"It could easily have been a penalty. What was the keeper doing out there anyway?"

Yes Jamie, how dare the goalkeeper challenge for a 50-50 ball in his own penalty area. Shame on you Mr Friedel.

Remind us, who did those two play for again?

Oh And Just One More...

Indulge us dear reader.

While using our position of influence (ahem) to encourage you to boycott any other media outlets would be both unprofessional and unfair, Mediawatch would urge you never to buy copies of The Sun, The Daily Mirror, The Daily Mail, and The Daily Express, who all spectacularly failed to mention the flopping in their match reports.

He's not playing at anything, he simply isn't that great of a tactician. He's great at finding players, but his actual management leaves a lot to be desired. We were good when we played a high tempo "in your face" style, but the more I see of us and Hughes the more I start to believe that, that is all Hughes is capable of employing.

Tell you what Eddie, that's a pretty good post.

What I do want to point out though is the small mitigating fact that in the half-time discussion on Gerrards' blatant dive and attempt to con the ref into a penalty decision, Ray Wilkinson (who I think is one of the honest pundits) did point out what I had noticed at the time of the incident, and that is that as Friedel pulled out of trying to grab the ball and rolled to one side trying to avoid contact, Gerrard went to ground anyway without any contact from Friedel and as he was going down he DELIBERATELY moved his leg out towards Friedel to ensure that there was contact made. You could see it very plainly on the TV replays in slow motion; Gerrard's right leg and foot is initially kind of folded closer to his body as he is going down, but just before he lands he extends his leg towards Friedel and makes sure there is contact.

Whereas I find that part of today's football to be the the single most disgusting and puke inducing aspect, and is a major factor in my inability to accept this sort of dishonesty from today's millionaire footballers .

Totally agree on the aspect of players looking for penalties Fife but its not always one way either - there is also the consideration that Friedal was imo possibly also clever in this aspect (but also lucky as we have seen penalties given). As we all saw he pulled out last minute which I am presuming is what the Ref saw ( body up and hands away from his body and Gerrard) but he did enough to get close put off Gerrard and create the situation of him leaving his leg trailing.

The ref did well ( even though I think he is crap) and I'm positive he did not see the contact with Gerrards leg - intentional or not as I am sure he would have given the penalty otherwise.

I still think Friedal was slow coming of his line however and still question why keeprs don't attempt tackles instead of going to ground

Would have been interesting to here from the ref why he didn't give it?

Archived