BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko's Thread Part 3

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bet of the night...

Betfair giving 3 to 1 that a player is sent off in Bristol City v Crystal Palace.

Judging by what is at stake and the horrible Warnock on the touchline I think that is buying money.

you still owe me 20 quid from your villa handicap bet ...grrr :lol:

The Guardian are reporting that Benitez is sitting on his hands pending FIFA's 6+5 vote on May 29/30.

With the European Commission having stated so clearly that any move like this by FIFA to require a minimum number of players to be qualified for the national team of the country will be illegal within the 27 nations of the EU, it is the first time I have seen reference to the FIFA vote having any impact on the transfer window.

If it is passed and FIFA expect to see it implemented then it will cause absolute chaos as the Commission will surely act against any club overtly implementing it. That article about Liverpool published this morning probably puts them in the first line of fire and gives Crouch and his agent enormous leverage.

Equally, it might strengthen the Rovers' position viz a viz Bentley given the lad is under contract and that article openly speculates that he would be seen to have been induced to move to Liverpool in order to break both British and European employment law- it doesn't put it in those terms but that is what it amounts to.

From the Rovers' perspective, in the unlikely event the FIFA rule is ever applied we will struggle to put a team on the pitch. If under the new rules as that article suggests, Liverpool will stall on selling Crouch, then certainly Rovers cannot possibly even think about offloading Bentley until they've found the requisite number of Englishmen.

As it is, Rovers have two English players in Roberts and Gallagher who have opted to play for other nations who under the FIFA proposal will be adjudged not to be English. That problem alone is surely going to persuade any number of national associations in Africa and South America to vote against the Blatter proposals as they routinely select players who qualify both in their country of heritage but also hold European passports- you can be sure that if a youngster in Argentina or Cameroon can qualify for an Italian or Spanish or Portuguese or French pasport, he most surely will not allow himself to be chosen for the national side in Latin America or Africa if it slashes his value to a potential European club.

And if Rovers have a problem, what about Arsenal?

Mind you whether anybody at Liverpool FC is in a position to do anything about anything is a moot point as it appears the toys are coming out of the pram faster than Stevie Gerard can tell them how big the transfer budget should be.

Faddy can play but did better on the international scene because the pace is a bit slower than England.

I saw him loads of times for Everton and he came up short.

Shame, because he has ability. Just not great for the Premier League.

How do you rate Cameron Jerome at Birmingham (apart from 2 yards out) I cannot see him staying at birmingham.

How do you rate Cameron Jerome at Birmingham (apart from 2 yards out) I cannot see him staying at birmingham.

Not a big fan. Once again he is a striker who would not get in ahead of your current four.

I WOULD take the lad Carle from Bristol City. Every time I see him he looks full of running and ideas and the ideal type for the Premier. A wee tough guy too. Perfect.

Big managerial changes at Bolton...more news to follow.

I believe Coppell has said he wants to go at Reading - but they want to sort out compo and clauses stopping him coming back in.

Are Bolton looking to add that Nigerian U23 coach, Samson Siasia as Director of Football? Had a quick look around when he was first linked, and seems to be highly rated, though he has no experience in England.

Only other thing I could guess at would be Gartside leaving. I seem to vagley remember something last year, saying that the board were going to monitor this season, and see how he performed, as they were not overly happy with the way Allardyce left?

Are Bolton looking to add that Nigerian U23 coach, Samson Siasia as Director of Football? Had a quick look around when he was first linked, and seems to be highly rated, though he has no experience in England.

Only other thing I could guess at would be Gartside leaving. I seem to vagley remember something last year, saying that the board were going to monitor this season, and see how he performed, as they were not overly happy with the way Allardyce left?

Archie Knox has been sacked as number two to Megson. He will bring his own man in.

FIVE other backroom staff have gone, mainly Sam Allardyce's 'little helpers.'

Sorry Nicko, should of looked at the Mirror first, Knox is explained there doh!

The Bentley to spurs in The Sun, I suposse they would get the exclusives in regards to him now?

Though, I would expect a 'Bentley to *name of club* for £15m' story every few days now, until he leaves or signs a new deal.

With Spurs linked to Bentley for 15 million Pounds, according to one of the papers today, what does everyone think if they offered us Huddlestone and Lennon for Bentley?

Id take it.

I'd snap their hands off in an instant provided Lennon had the desire to play for us. I would put good money on Hughes getting Lennon ahead of Bentley in the England squad again. And it would address our pace problems.

Not sure Spurs are quite that stupid though.

I don't believe the Spurs stories for the reasons previously mentioned.

The fee - they don't pay that much for English players and probably haven't got that much left.

The wages - no better than he is being offered at Blackburn.

Not happening.

Archived