BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Danny Simpson

How did Danny do against Newcastle? Saw he got the lowest mark on Setanta...

I recorded the whole game and watched it again yesterday. I was surprised how well simpson played in the first half....very impressive. When I watched it live, I was left with the memory of Duff turning him inside out on 3 or more occasions in the 2nd half. Nevertheless, I think the lad can do a real job for us - he will get better I think.

The other thing that I hadn't realised was how many times Carlos gave the ball away - often in dangerous areas ...........this would be a disaster if he were to repeat it against Man U this weekend.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As many other players believe but fail.

He only has to look at people like Defoe, SWP, Bridge - all established players, but couldnt get into big sides. If he doesnt get assurances over his role, then if the lad has anything about him then he should move on.

That is so easy for people on the outside to say, but for the boy himself United is his dream. He's played for United since he was about 9 years old, he grew up in Salford, United's biggest fan base, he's been around that environment his entire life. To just move on from that would never be easy for anyone. And to the real fans here, he's not just a football player, he means so much more than that. He is the local lad, the one who can uphold tradition and become the new Mr. United. He has the right attitude, he knows what it means to play for the club, and he seems fairly down to earth. He is important to United in more ways than one!

Yes I understand that. Im also making the point that he could quite easily languish in the reserves or on the bench for the next 5 years if he isnt careful. That other young lad they have has been getting rave reviews lately.

Rafael is getting rave reviews partly because he's Brazilian. That automatically makes him better than any English, local lad could ever be...

At 21, he shouldn't be ready to give up on his dreams. Whether that is naive or not, who knows? Danny certainly has potential, hopefully he'll be allowed to use the experience he's getting this year at United in the future, not following in the footsteps of the loanees before him.

Yes I understand that. Im also making the point that he could quite easily languish in the reserves or on the bench for the next 5 years if he isnt careful. That other young lad they have has been getting rave reviews lately.

The thing is though his ambition is to play for Man U.

Therefore "if he has anything about him" as you say then he will have enough confidence in himself to break into that team. People seem to think that staying with a big club and facing a possibility of being stuck on the bench is the easy option. Why? The easy option could just as easily be seen as giving up on making it at a top team and instead going down a level. Not all players are like David May...for some they are following their dream...if it does not work out then at least they have given it a shot.

• 4 weeks later...
:huh: I've seen a few reports lately suggesting that Danny is playing in midfield. Is this correct, and, if so, how has that worked out?

He is still playing full back.

Taken off at half-time against WBA.

According to a friend who went to both that and the Villa game, he was poor.

Could have been tactical, as McCarthy managed to get himself sent off early on. Clearly can't trust what people say about his performances though, as every other says he's crap and the rest are quite happy and want to keep him... Don't know who has too high/low expectations, but I clearly need to find a way to watch him myself.

Could have been tactical, as McCarthy managed to get himself sent off early on.

Absolutely.

However, the friend I spoke to today attends all matches, home and away, as well as home reserve and youth matches. I am sure,he gave me his considered opinion.

Could have been tactical, as McCarthy managed to get himself sent off early on. Clearly can't trust what people say about his performances though, as every other says he's crap and the rest are quite happy and want to keep him... Don't know who has too high/low expectations, but I clearly need to find a way to watch him myself.

The general consensus seemed to be that taking him off was a bad move at the time, and the second half seemed to bear that out.

We're on the telly on Sunday, btw.

I'm already planning a monster weekend. Arsenal - United, hopefully followed by Sunderland, on Saturday, with Blackburn and Newcastle on Sunday. It's a real pain in the butt when your favorite players leave your club...

Since Danny is the only one who might be coming back, I keep a keen eye on him, but that's difficult when not one Rover I've talked to agree with the next one on how he's actually doing!

Id say Simpson is doing quite well. He has bags of pace and a decent pass/ cross on him, however he sometimes gets caught out of position and also against the trickier wingers he struggles a little at the moment. Give him another 12-18 months premier league experience and he will become a very good player.

A long way to go IMO.

I would say the opposite of Hughesy, he doesn't pose any kind of threat going forward. Doesn't/can't get to the bye line, hasn't got a great cross and isn't too good defensively against a decent winger.

He gets by though. Steady.

I've never been a great fan of him - I think Brett offers much more of a threat going forward when he plays in this position. I think his positional play is suspect - but then so too is Samba's - and he was certainly nothing special in the past two games. He was pulled about a bit at Villa while at West Brom I thought he was distinctly average.

Given time he might develop into a reasonable player but I think he has some way to go. I just find it strange that while we send Tony Kane out to the lower divisions to learn his trade, United send Simpson to us to gain experience. I assume that if Simpson does well he will return to United in the summer and if not we will be given the opportunity to buy him.

Bert's a far better right back, Parsonblue. IMO, there would be absolutely no point in Rovers spending too much money on Simpson.

Bring in a quality right winger, send Bert back to right back, job done. Use any available monies on the winger, not the full back. I wonder if the management will see it that way?

I personally think that he has done okay.

He has come from a seriously class background and has had to readjust himself to a club that has prided itself on traditional hard working football.

With a little more experience he will become a decent player. I am not sure whether he will rattle casges at United in the future but for Ewood he fits the bill.

Archived