BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Danny Simpson

A lesser version of Emmanual Eboue of Arsenal. Can't put in a good ball, very erattic in the final third and is afraid to put in a cross. Defensively he is very good, but does get caught a few times too many for my liking. Don't think he has the quality to break in to the United side, but definately a good player for a club outside of the top 4.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the Chelsea match I can see what people mean about not getting forward enough. But as someone who saw all his minutes for United last season, and quite a few reserve matches as well, I have to say it's totally out of charcter for him to leave acres of space like that, when he has the chance to overlap. I would have to assume, if he does this match after match and is still allowed to start, it is something he has been told to do, cause for us he quite liked getting forward. He's not likely to score, but he certainly put in a few crosses and made himself playable for the winger/midfield. And it would be understandable if he's told to hold back. As people have stated, Rovers' defence is shoddy at best, and Olsson seems to go forward a lot. Someone has to stay behind, at United he played in, at the time, the best defence in the league, totally different ball game.

I am one of those who want him back for more than just football reasons. Can anyone say anything about how he has been as a person, on the pitch, in interviews, etc. I've always seen him as the perfect personality, someone everyone should want in their team, but it would of course be a different story now he's playing in the league every week. Is he still a nice guy? I saw he'd managed to get 3 yellows so far?

The last two sentences should probably have been seperated more. Was more interested in what he got the first two for, the one Sunday was OK, though maybe a bit harsh. Didn't like the slight tantrum he threw when he got it either, although I can understand to some extent.

A friend who I have seen for very many years at the Rovers said on Sunday-his source might have been a paper-was that he had comes across the idea that Ince doesn't rate Simpson and that he's going to send him back in the new year.

That's two of us then. :)

The last two sentences should probably have been seperated more. Was more interested in what he got the first two for, the one Sunday was OK, though maybe a bit harsh. Didn't like the slight tantrum he threw when he got it either, although I can understand to some extent.

Sunday's, and the other yellow I can remember, were both 'professional' fouls : where the opponent had got the better of him and he did something like take em out with a shoulder charge. Nothing terrible, might not even get booked at a 'high profile' club but seems like it's always a yellow if you play for Rovers. I'm sure all players do that to some degree, but it's something I've noticed about Simpson, that cynical element.

Is there anyone good enough to play for Rovers in your eyes Den?

I think Simpson has done exceptionally well since he's been here, and if Ince doesn't rate him I'll have to disagree on that one.

If they were all that good rev, we'd be top of the league.

I've consistently said that Simpson's distribution is poor, as demonstrated numerous times over the season and particularly on Sunday. He can't get to the bye line, nor does he possess a cross of any real quality. He looks uncertain on the ball. Around the same quality as John Curtis Rev, does that ring any bells?

Give me Chris Price any day. :rolleyes:

If they were all that good rev, we'd be top of the league.

I've consistently said that Simpson's distribution is poor, as demonstrated numerous times over the season and particularly on Sunday. He can't get to the bye line, nor does he possess a cross of any real quality. He looks uncertain on the ball. Around the same quality as John Curtis Rev, does that ring any bells?

Give me Chris Price any day. :rolleyes:

Price was a very very good player and would probably be way beyond our means in today's transfer market.

I don't actually expect a full back who can play like Ronaldo going forward, we just someone who can do a decent job defensively and Simpson fits the bill to me.

I don't think he's significantly better than Emerton in the position, but he would give us options if Ince wants to utilise Bert on the right wing or in central midfield at any point.

Whether United are prepared to let him go, or let him go for a fee within our budget is a different matter of course.

I'm disappointed that Simpson hasn't show us more of what he can do going forward. Whenever I'd seen him previously it was the undoubted strength of his game.

With Rafael now looking like Neville's successor at United, if we could get Simpson for a smallish fee in January then I think it'd be a positive signing.

Man U youngster and "smallish fee" rarely go together.

I would not sign Simpson. I am not impressed with his development. The fact is, unlike Martin Olsson and Keith Treacy, Simpson has senior football games experience having played for Sunderland and Ipswich. He should be doing much more.

Frankly, I think he is a Phil Bardsley type, i.e veiled in the glory of the Man U brand until he moves on and reveals his very average true persona.

Unless it is peanuts that Fergie's after, I'd say no. Let's sign a right winger and move Bert back to where he belongs and thrives.

I'm disappointed that Simpson hasn't show us more of what he can do going forward. Whenever I'd seen him previously it was the undoubted strength of his game.

With Rafael now looking like Neville's successor at United, if we could get Simpson for a smallish fee in January then I think it'd be a positive signing.

The player doesn't sound too keen from what I've read, and as already mentioned Ferguson would probably demand a fee. But I wouldn't mind him coming either, if Ince thinks he's good enough - or will become good enough - to be a regular starter.

Emerton was a fantastic right-back and linked up brilliantly with our ex-right winger. Unfortunately, we no longer have a right winger.

I have to agree with Scotty, Emerton was a very good at right back especially when he linked up with Bentley. Bentley with his great technique and ability to give himself time on the ball, allowed Emerton to overlap and from an offensive point of view we looked really strong on our right flank.

Emerton was a fantastic right-back and linked up brilliantly with our ex-right winger. Unfortunately, we no longer have a right winger.

Sorry Hughesy, but I agree with Scotty's view on this. Not being biased, but Emu is our best team option as RB.

To me, Simpson should go back to the Scum. On yesterdays game alone, I thought he was a liability.

The last few games have shown Simpson's limitations as a right-back. If he was that good he would still be at Old Trafford. Emerton is a far better right-back and gives us more options going forward. Defensively, I don't think Simpson is all that great and find his positioning to be poor. If we had a right-winger I wouldn't hestitate in dropping Simpson and playing Emerton at right-back. At the moment we look like we are providing a training opportunity for a player that Sir Alex is not quite sure about.

To be fair, the system we played meant that he had nobody in front of him, so they could overlap at will.

Yesterday he had Andrews in front of him then Matty Derbyshire in a 4-4-2 formation so I dont see were you are coming from unless you werent there yesterday.

Archived