BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Vince Grella Signs

Nelsen on Gorilla tackle....do we sense abit of dressing-room friction here??

Captain Ryan Nelsen, a teammate of Grella's at Blackburn Rovers, added: "I've seen Vince do those tackles week in week out, I'm not really surprised.

"They (Australia) were very frustrated, you could tell the crowd was on their back.

"They probably thought it would be easier than it was, but this New Zealand team's a wee bit different to one's in the past."

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nelsen on Gorilla tackle....do we sense abit of dressing-room friction here??

Captain Ryan Nelsen, a teammate of Grella's at Blackburn Rovers, added: "I've seen Vince do those tackles week in week out, I'm not really surprised.

"They (Australia) were very frustrated, you could tell the crowd was on their back.

"They probably thought it would be easier than it was, but this New Zealand team's a wee bit different to one's in the past."

Australia vs New Zealand arguing about who's better at football is like arguing about who's the tallest dwarf.

As for that tackle? Shocker. Should be banned for three games for that.

Oh and what the hell are Australia wearing?!

Australia vs New Zealand arguing about who's better at football is like arguing about who's the tallest dwarf.

As for that tackle? Shocker. Should be banned for three games for that.

Oh and what the hell are Australia wearing?!

Heh, yeah, you are only as good as your last result I always say.....3-1

I find it incredible that someone who's had so many injury problems in the past went in on someone like that.

Think every referee involved in South Africa will have seen that challenge and will duly mark him out in the world cup.

Grella could well be a liability for the Aussies from now on in.

Reports are saying Galatasary are interested in Grella for £2.5. I'd cut our losses if it's true.

If you mean Nicko's report, that's not actually what it says. It says we would want around £2.5 million, it doesn't say Gala will pay it.

Yawn..... Here we go again with the shocked girly outrage of our hand wringers, clothes renters and holier than thou brigade! Immediate condemnation and villification of one of our less popular players based on one video clip.<_< Bad challenge that we see much less today than 20 - 30 years ago but can anybody know what went on before? Had the Kiwi just committed similar on a teammate of Grella or even on Grella himself or does that not come into the equation? We've all seen the likes of Flitcroft and Todd 'look after' Tugay on occasion haven't we? Hell I am old enough to remember Fergy being Duggies minder. Players kicked lumps out of Duggy at their peril.

Grella is a midfield growler and one that does get in hard and fast on opponents, misstimed tackles is unfortunate but an occupational hazard with the job. Every team needs a ballwinner in the middle. I've seen the likes of Billy McKinley, Batty, Flitty, Todd and even Tim Sherwood do similar. If we are to free up more men to go forward or get players up to support the striker they are the type of player that we need to cover for them.

One cannot of course defend the indefensible but apart from a misstimed jock high lunge on Michael Essien's nether regions (who lets be honest had it coming) we've not seen Grella do any worse tackles than the guys named above have we? He's the type of player that will get a yellow every match and a red on occasion, the last player that could do that was Savage and we'd all love to see the Sav of a decade ago turn out at Ewood.

His injury prone record is a different matter.

Have to agree with Theno, it was a bad, mistimed challenge, but probably not malicious.

I do hope we can sell him though. What is the going rate for glass these days? I'm sure that's all he's made of.

Yawn..... Here we go again with the shocked girly outrage of our hand wringers, clothes renters and holier than thou brigade! Immediate condemnation and villification of one of our less popular players based on one video clip.<_< Bad challenge that we see much less today than 20 - 30 years ago but can anybody know what went on before? Had the Kiwi just committed similar on a teammate of Grella or even on Grella himself or does that not come into the equation? We've all seen the likes of Flitcroft and Todd 'look after' Tugay on occasion haven't we? Hell I am old enough to remember Fergy being Duggies minder. Players kicked lumps out of Duggy at their peril.

Grella is a midfield growler and one that does get in hard and fast on opponents, misstimed tackles is unfortunate but an occupational hazard with the job. Every team needs a ballwinner in the middle. I've seen the likes of Billy McKinley, Batty, Flitty, Todd and even Tim Sherwood do similar. If we are to free up more men to go forward or get players up to support the striker they are the type of player that we need to cover for them.

One cannot of course defend the indefensible but apart from a misstimed jock high lunge on Michael Essien's nether regions (who lets be honest had it coming) we've not seen Grella do any worse tackles than the guys named above have we? He's the type of player that will get a yellow every match and a red on occasion, the last player that could do that was Savage and we'd all love to see the Sav of a decade ago turn out at Ewood.

Come on Theno, that challenge typically comes down to a lack of pace and because of the lack of speed comes the frustration, hence the poor challenge and all in all shows a big error in his judgement especially when you look at the position on the field of play as he makes that challenge.

As you point out his reliability also leaves him desperately short of ever regaining any speed to his game thus Rovers cant really turn any bids down for him if they want to seriously improve.

His passing ability is 'Joe average', his vision along with excecution is average at best. Think we should all wish him the very best in his new career in Turkey.

So two wrongs may well make a right? That tackle was a red card offence, therefore he should be banned. It is so simple even you will be able to understand. Grella is the sort of player we do need for the reasons you state, but that particular tackle was bad.

The only reason I think it wasn't a red is because of the ball. It bounces off Grella's hand and goes out. From the ref's viewpoint, I would surmise he can't clearly see the ball and at full speed it looks like Grella makes contact with it and the player. It is a disgraceful tackle in a friendly let alone any other match. If that tackle is acceptable to you, Gordon, then I'm glad I don't play football with you around! :D As for selling him, I think it might be the best thing as he has not been fit long enough to show us what he really can do. At his age, I can't see his injury situation getting much better.

Have to agree with Theno, it was a bad, mistimed challenge, but probably not malicious.

I do hope we can sell him though. What is the going rate for glass these days? I'm sure that's all he's made of.

I thought it was deliberate and malicious and,like Nelsen, I'm not surprised that Grella would do that.

Grella is a midfield growler and one that does get in hard and fast on opponents, misstimed tackles is unfortunate but an occupational hazard with the job.

He JUMPED in with 2 feet, showing studs - that was not a tackle, more an attempt at injuring another pro.

Had the Kiwi just committed similar on a teammate of Grella or even on Grella himself or does that not come into the equation?

Nope, if anything he bought into the hype of it being a friendly in name only. He spoke up during the week about a comment Rory Fallon made, Socceroo Vince Grella 'Disappointed' With 'Unprofessional' Rory Fallon Comments. He might have come out expecting trouble, but there there wasnt any niggle from our players.

The only niggle came from the Aussies, after we were 1-0 up, and looked likely to score again. Grella and Tim Cahill started doing 'agressive' tackles to try and throw us off our game plan, that tackle being one of them. Leo Bertos, the NZ player tackled, got another kick to the same shin soon after by Cahill that was lucky to not be a red aswell. In the after match comments, the Aussie coach said they were lucky to not end the half with 9 men.

Bertos was subbed off after the 2nd tackle, and our midfield engine Tim Brown went off at half time, and looks likely to miss the world cup with a fractured shoulder after a bad landing. Without them, we didnt play very well, and Aussie woke up in the 2nd half :(

Good post 'drog, however, my main issue with Grella is that he's actually not very good - if he did what you had written to a decent level I'd be a bit less sceptical - IMO he doesn't.

It's fair to say that players of his ilk rarely 'stand out' but you do notice/miss them when they aren't playing (if they're any good)...can't say I've ever done that on the frequent occasions that Grella is out of the side.

Just my opinion of course.

Off topic of course but .....

a. 50+ :rolleyes:

b. A common misconception and definitely a matter of opinion.

Its against the rules of the game theno, deal with it!!!! Next time we lose a penalty or the such to someone cheating or breaking the rules you'll be screaming at the offender.

Ones thing most certainly for sure times won't be reverting, adapt.

So two wrongs may well make a right? That tackle was a red card offence, therefore he should be banned. It is so simple even you will be able to understand. Grella is the sort of player we do need for the reasons you state, but that particular tackle was bad.

They do indeed. Happens all the time in football (at all levels too)... just ask Michael Ballack. :unsure:

btw did he get a red card Billy or is the ref as simple as me too? <_<

Rubbish tackle from an over-rated player. Cut our losses I say. And I'm writing this from Sydney

Can't he manage to write that himself?

Archived