BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] An Evening With Matt Jansen

Brownie

I have just completed the booking of Rovers' legend and my personal favourite Rovers' player, Matt Jansen for a Questions and Answers session at The Hordens on Tuesday 18th Nov.

Same as before, I would appreciate as many questions as possible.

Tickets will be £5 again, either use my Paypal address of david.brownie@ukonline.co.uk, come into The Hordens for tickets or you can take a gamble and pay on the night if its not sold out.

I've not had chance to print tickets yet, I'll let you know when I have, though payment via paypal will guarantee you a ticket.

More info to follow

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brownie, i will definately be purchasing a ticket for this. I have always wanted to meet the guy, in a crap year (2001) for me being the first time i'd experienced losing someone, the man (and the team) were the only thing that made me smile with his goals that season. I were only 12/13 around the time and so as a kid, he were a guy i idolised. Some people may say it sounds sad when people say a muscian or another person they've never met helped them through a rough time, but at that age, his goals, Duff et al goals helped cheer me up as i've never been a person to talk to people when i'm down. I'd love to have the opportunity to thank him for that. Anyway enough of that bit, Brownie it sounds like to me you've got a great night planned and congratulations on landing the booking. At £5 to hear the words of what a lot of us would call a Rovers legend (not in the sense of Douglas and Crompton) but in modern day terms, is a bargain. I'll be making payment for a ticket as soon as i set up a paypal account :)

Thanks for those contributions and I would seriously like as many questions as possible because he's a shy lad and I don't think I'll be able to give him a mic and leave him to it, like I did with Speedo, so I need your help, people.

Some do not appreciate just how good he was - I just wonder how far he could have gone if it wasn't for the accident (being on the verge of the England team and all that)

Anyway, ask him:-

Which was your favorite moment:-

Promotion

Cup Win

Hat Trick against Arsenal (I am guessing this would be the lesser but still a personal favorite of mine)

Really wish I could be there for this one

Some do not appreciate just how good he was - I just wonder how far he could have gone if it wasn't for the accident (being on the verge of the England team and all that)

Anyway, ask him:-

Which was your favorite moment:-

Promotion

Cup Win

Hat Trick against Arsenal (I am guessing this would be the lesser but still a personal favorite of mine)

Really wish I could be there for this one

Promotion and utterly fitting that he scored the goal at Nob End.

I'd like to ask him how in Match magazine he said he'd never play for Rovers closest rivals (Bolton), yet did some years later. :P

JK. The guy was such a talented player with a great footballing brain. I'm sure it'll be a great evening.

Bound to come up but what prompted him to take a scooter hire in Rome?

How was he told he wouldn't be going to the World Cup?

Which was his favourite goal? (mine was that swivel and shot against Norwich)

Thanks for the brace in the 5-0. What was the build-up like for the players prior to the dingle double humiliation?

This was the one I was hoping that you'd pull off, the speedie night was great but as I was only young back then I'm looking forward to this one more.

I remember the hungover morning after I'd got back from Preston and celebrated around Ewood, I'd recorded the game on sky and could swear that amid the celebrations Matty was captured running up to someone having an interview shouting '' utopia, utopia'' can you ask him if he has fond memories of the place that night or in general, any tales to tell etc.

I remember that, that squad of players were always out round town unlike the current squad (not that its a bad thing).

What was it like working under Souness and did he think he'd ran out of ideas by the time he left to go Newcastle, what did he make of the Souness - Dunn / Souness - Cole affair.

What were his feelings regarding the games against the dingles.

Worthington cup final memories.

Wish i knew about this before going to united game, doubt i would make it over for this as i have no hols from work left!

Matty is a legend. When i was at my first rovers game in Oct 1999, i got passes to Players lounge and met him and his family, that was quite an experience, met duffers mob too.

Such a sound lad too, pity the accident messed him up.

I'd like to know if he thought he could have continued his career if he'd been given an extended run in the first team and allowed to build up his confidence? In the 2004/05 season, he started off pretty well and I'm sure he had the best goals/minute ratio of all our strikers for a while, but Hughes seemed reluctant to play him after initially giving him a few games. I thought after that winner against Portsmouth that he was on his way back. :(

Brownie, can you publish the Q & A's after??

I'll be too busy making sure the sound system etc is working plus my short hand is crap.

If anybody else wants to (there's plenty of you coming), it would be a great idea for those who live too far away.

Archived