BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bolton Vs Rovers

cn174

I thought it was a good game too. Well fought. More so than previous Bolton games. Ince wanted Rovers to carry on playing football and that was always going to be hard task at Bolton who were up for it. They beat West Ham last week 3-1 a team we lost to 4-1. We had 55% possession and territorial advantage across all the papers and didn't resort to lumping it either. I for one am well pleased. It carries on from the Man U game.

Rovers fans who yearn for the pre-Ince days watching us hoof it, have just 45% possession (or less) and reminisce about some dodgy 1-0 (like they were watching Brazil just because we won!!), know nothing about football.

It was an end to end game, no quarter asked, no quarter given. Rovers put a lot of good moves together to attain the level of advantage they succeeded in achieving. Not many teams will gain that level of advantage at the Reebok this year. Like United the only problem we have had is the final 3rd. Roberts, Fowler, Derbyshire aren't competing at this level. Apart fro that we are doing well despite some injuries. Also on a positive note; Benni looked much better when he came on.

Andrews again looked accomplished. Winning tackles and driving forward. He always seems to get up to support the strikers feeding them good balls. I think he will mature into a decent player for Rovers.

Rovers fans who thought that was a poor performance obviously are living on a diet of sour lemons over Ince's appointment. Anti Ince, anti Andrews anti Fowler anti Carlos now.....

I also think that come next years fixture at the Reebok. 4 or 5 of those players won't be playing. I also like Ince afterwards saying publicly that Roberts miss was a bad one and we can't miss those. If we want to be a genuine top 6 team, (not a fake top 4 one under Mark Hughes), then Ince has grasped the issue. You have to play football to gain the upper hand. Teams that gain the upper hand might not win every game but come the end of the 38th game they will have succeeded more than the clowns who hoof it.

God only knows how gormless that post was before you edited it.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a question to those who thought it was a terrible game; did you take no pleasure whatsoever from our best defensive performance of the season, if no the year? If the defense had been pants and we'd lost 5-0, would you feel no different?

Any away point in this league is a good one, just ask Spurs.

Just a question to those who thought it was a terrible game; did you take no pleasure whatsoever from our best defensive performance of the season, if no the year? If the defense had been pants and we'd lost 5-0, would you feel no different?

Any away point in this league is a good one, just ask Spurs.

I don't know who you're asking there EIT, but if it includes me, then I certainly did say a point away is a good one, and also paid tribute to Nelsen and Samba.

Some people read what they want though.

I've just read the why Benni didn't play from, the start and I can well understand it! He only got back from South Africa at one o'clock on Saturday. Puts the reasoning behind playing Fowler into perspective.

Yes it does:

http://www.setantasports.com/en/Sport/News...ocale/football/

Honestly i'd look to play Benni in the next game as he looked quite sharp when he came on. Perhaps his time in the wilderness recently has given him the kick up the backside he needed?

Funny how peoples perception of a game can be so different. Paul Merson saysit was decent game yet the Telegraph says it wasn't. We know Paul Merson watched the game whereas the DT report is not flattering at all. I think a lot of this has to do with the perception of the play versus the strikes on goal. Both teams were woeful in the final third generally but in a lot of the other areas of the pitch play and passing was very good.

I've just read the why Benni didn't play from, the start and I can well understand it! He only got back from South Africa at one o'clock on Saturday. Puts the reasoning behind playing Fowler into perspective.

So why not play Matty D? Fowler showed what we all thought, that his days in the premiership are way behind him and it's where they should stay.

If Benni was late back then give Matt 60mins and Benni the rest or even play Villaneuva in the hole and put MGP or Treacy on the left.

Funny how peoples perception of a game can be so different. Paul Merson saysit was decent game yet the Telegraph says it wasn't. We know Paul Merson watched the game whereas the DT report is not flattering at all. I think a lot of this has to do with the perception of the play versus the strikes on goal. Both teams were woeful in the final third generally but in a lot of the other areas of the pitch play and passing was very good.

I totally agree with that. I thought Bolton compensated poor passing for a longer ball. Megson said as much after. But they are all over 6 foot and have a healthy attitude to getting stuck in. More than any previous Bolton team. Last season Bolton were much weaker and their fans in despair.

Elmander looks a waste at £12m but at least they have more than Davies up front (guaranteed low goals return). We all know about Davies & Roberts. Derbyshire/Fowler are too lightweight/slow. Derbs is a fox in the box who gives 110% but in build up play he is lacking.

The final 3rd determined a 0-0. Good centre forward play could have produced a lot goals.

:rover: my little piece on saturdays match before i read what everyone else thought.my heart sank when the guy next to me said FOWLER was playing,we talked why this should be and came to the conclusion that with rocky missing FOWLER could hold the ball up,and link up the play.HOW WRONG WE WERE,saying that he was not the worst rover playing up front,ROBERTS had a stinker,can't control,can't head,can't shoot,in fact a waste off space.

the defense was sound,OOJJER played well,centre back next incey.saying that samba and nelsen were decent.thought carlos was doing ok,and nearly died when derb's was brought on for him.other than that the game was dire,the breezebloc is dire,next year it better be free :tu:

on another note,went to watch junior play footie saturday morning at pleckgate and who did i bump into,bloody OWEN COYLE his lad plays for wilpshire,i asked him if he had come to watch some proper FOOTIE,he laughed :brfc:

:rover: whilst loads off rovers fans moan about the club not spending any money,i ask one question ELMANDER cost 11 million and was crap on saturday,FOWLER cost wages and was crap on saturday,spending BIG is not always the answer :unsure::brfc:

Not sure how fit Grella will be. If he is up to speed he will probably play. I could see us being like this, with Tugay in for Grella if the Australian doesn't make it (I don't think Tugay and Grella will play together as they both sit very deep and will just get in each others way):

--------------------Cruz

-----------------Villaneuva

Treacy----Warnock---Grella---Emerton

--Olsson---Nelsen---Samba---Simpson

------------------Robinson

Subs: Brown, Ooijer, Tugay, Andrews, Pedersen, Roberts, Derbyshire

I will raise my eyebrows like most if Fowler starts again.... Surely Villaneuva/Cruz, Roberts/Cruz, Roberts/Derbyshire, Roberts/McCarthy, Derbyshire/Cruz are all better combinations than one containing Fowler?

Boro's form may be crap but they have a lot of very good players (Mido, Alves, Tuncay, Downing) so we need to be careful. They should have utterly murdered us last season at home.

Not sure how fit Grella will be. If he is up to speed he will probably play. I could see us being like this, with Tugay in for Grella if the Australian doesn't make it (I don't think Tugay and Grella will play together as they both sit very deep and will just get in each others way):

--------------------Cruz

I will raise my eyebrows like most if Fowler starts again.... Surely Villaneuva/Cruz, Roberts/Cruz, Roberts/Derbyshire, Roberts/McCarthy, Derbyshire/Cruz are all better combinations than one containing Fowler?

Boro's form may be crap but they have a lot of very good players (Mido, Alves, Tuncay, Downing) so we need to be careful. They should have utterly murdered us last season at home.

We have already played! :lol:

Back to Elmander, I thought he was excellent in his positioning but absolutely useless when he received the ball.

We have already played! :lol:

Back to Elmander, I thought he was excellent in his positioning but absolutely useless when he received the ball.

Although it is in the Notlobs v Rovers thread, it is quite obvious (last paragraph) he is referring to next weeks game. :lol: :lol:

--------------------Cruz

Only worry for me at the moment is where the goals are coming from. 2 from Roque and 1 from Samba in the line up. :unsure:

--------------------Cruz

Would you raise an eyebrow if Fowler was even on the bench ahead of any of the others.

I like the formation joey made! If they place Villanueva there, he will not only make assists to Roque, but will surely have a couple of shots on goal of his own, like he did frequently for Audax in Chile. Also, he will have the liberty to try and dribble into the box without the fear that loosing it will be the end of the world, there will still be a double line of four behind him.

Question is, will Ince give him these liberties? I think not. I think he will remain on the left or right until he can last 90 minutes....till then we will have to make do with his crosses and dead ball deliveries.

:rover: whilst loads off rovers fans moan about the club not spending any money,i ask one question ELMANDER cost 11 million and was crap on saturday,FOWLER cost wages and was crap on saturday,spending BIG is not always the answer :unsure::brfc:

Dalglish paid £3.3m for Shearer and sold him for £15m. He paid £5m for Sutton and we sold him for £10m.

So what's the point Waggy? Hope you're not saying we shouldn't spend money on players just because Megson has no idea how to spend it. There are plenty of leagues available to clubs who don't spend money.

You mean for teams like Leeds United?

^_^ I'd suggest that spending a little money wisely can get you a lot further than spending it willy nilly. But I'd be excited about the prospect of a larger transfer kitty.

No-one's suggesting rovers spend money they don't have ET. Waggy seems to be suggesting we don't spend money we do have.

No-one's suggesting rovers spend money they don't have ET. Waggy seems to be suggesting we don't spend money we do have.

I'll wager that it's money we don't have when January comes around den, or should I say not as much as there should be.

Archived