BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Sunderland Preview

BRFCBOY

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got back from the game about an hour ago and whilst I am a big supporter of Paul Ince I thought we got lucky last night and that he got his team selection totally wrong.

The first half was abysmal, Sunderland totally dominated and only Robinson (who was superb again) kept us in it.

The second half was a bit better, but we only really perked up once Roque was introduced. His mere presence on the pitch seemed to lift us no end and he must not be sold in January under any circumstances. The introduction of Warnock gave us a further boost and after Sunderland equalised we actually played some decent stuff, a feat that looked completely beyond us in the first half.

If the Carling Cup draw is kosha, we now have a four in seven chance (Dingles Stoke Watford Derby) of a very winnable tie and making it to the semi finals. It was one of my major gripes with Souness that in general that he didn't take the Cups seriously enough and from the manager's comments pre-match he seemed to be of the same mindset.

Personally I'd take a win in any individual Cup tie over any individual League game. The Cups are the only thing we have a chance of winning and we have all season to sort out the League form.

I'll be hopping mad if we see another vastly under strength team selection for the quarter finals and it costs us.

Thanks Rev. It's always better to read the posts from people who were actually at the game, rather than read snippetts from teletext, or even worse posters on here trying to make a point about the manager.

Sounds as though it was a pretty poor performance from both sides. Still, a win with a weakened side, away from home is always acceptable.

Saturday is a BIG game for us though. I suspect last night's game will have gone from the memory bank at the full time whistle, whatever the result.

It was a fun day yesterday, met some really nice people, absolutely no problems with the travel, and Rovers won as well.

First half was poor, but this was a pretty much makeshift team against a full strength Sunderland team. Let's not forget that. I don't think Ince got the team selection wrong as some are suggesting (bar Fowler), the options were very restricted if he wanted to have half a chance on Saturday of having fully fit first teamers.

Second half much, much better. The team did look more cohesive especially after Roque and, as Rev points out, Warnock came on. It was just a shame that Fowler was allowed to waddle round the pitch for as long as he did.

On a side note, the subs were playing a variation of piggy-in-the-middle for virtually all of half time and seemed to be loving it. Roque clearly was dismayed everytime he ended in the middle, and Nelsen didn't have bear down on Ooijer to get out at times! It was fun to watch.

You guys who went - tell us about Andy Haworth?

Looked to have some pace and was certainly unafraid to take his man on.

Inexperienced showed when keeping the ball too long instead of passing. Didn't really link up well with Simpson, but I guess this the first time the two have been in the same team (or have they played together in the reserves?)

If he's nutured well, could be a useful squad player.

Looked to have some pace and was certainly unafraid to take his man on.

Inexperienced showed when keeping the ball too long instead of passing. Didn't really link up well with Simpson, but I guess this the first time the two have been in the same team (or have they played together in the reserves?)

If he's nutured well, could be a useful squad player.

Thanks.

I think he's 19 now, 20 in a few weeks time? If he's going to make the grade in this league, then he'll have to start pushing his way into the first team squad over the next couple of seasons. The fact that he apparently missed most of last season with injury hasn't helped him, I wonder if he can push on this year and make the squad fairly regularly?

Thanks.

I think he's 19 now, 20 in a few weeks time? If he's going to make the grade in this league, then he'll have to start pushing his way into the first team squad over the next couple of seasons. The fact that he apparently missed most of last season with injury hasn't helped him, I wonder if he can push on this year and make the squad fairly regularly?

He's hardly played for the Reserves this season - a couple of sub outings I think. He has been totally overtaken by Aaron Doran and Alan Judge who have been in superb form on the wings for the Reserves. I really don't understand why neither of these started last night. I thought Andy did the best he could but he really hasn't played a great deal of football of late. It was a very strange selection for me and one that didn't come off.

Got back from the game about an hour ago and whilst I am a big supporter of Paul Ince I thought we got lucky last night and that he got his team selection totally wrong.

The first half was abysmal, Sunderland totally dominated and only Robinson (who was superb again) kept us in it.

The second half was a bit better, but we only really perked up once Roque was introduced. His mere presence on the pitch seemed to lift us no end and he must not be sold in January under any circumstances. The introduction of Warnock gave us a further boost and after Sunderland equalised we actually played some decent stuff, a feat that looked completely beyond us in the first half.

Thanks Rev. It's always better to read the posts from people who were actually at the game, rather than read snippetts from teletext, or even worse posters on here trying to make a point about the manager.

'after Sland equalised'! Hmmmm ....Are you sure he was there Den? :D

btw Rev.... Ta but apologies due cos I only got the txts this am.

On a side note, the subs were playing a variation of piggy-in-the-middle for virtually all of half time and seemed to be loving it. Roque clearly was dismayed everytime he ended in the middle, and Nelsen didn't have bear down on Ooijer to get out at times! It was fun to watch.

I was watching that too, quite amusing especially Ooijer who was really getting into the game and was delighted every time he didn't go in.

Funny sort of game really and we were a little lucky to win. The first half was not great from either side. Sunderland, playing a slightly stronger team, had the better of it though and were it not for some superb saves from Robinson and some Custer's Last Stand defending from Tugay and Samba, we'd have gone in 2-0 down or so and have been out the cup already. We didn't look to have much going forward in the first half. Treacy and Haworth showed good pace and ability to beat their man but little in the way of end product and Derbyshire and Fowler looked rather sluggish. This was partly as most of the service they were getting was long balls pumped forward but neither will have done themselves any favours. Samba and Zurab did fairly well at the back in dealing with Jones and Cisse though when they targetted our young full-backs, things got more problematic.

Roque's introduction changed everything. The team suddenly believed in themselves, Tugay began to put his foot on the ball and create things and Santa Cruz was actually able to link play up and bring in his teammates - something Derbyshire and Fowler had failed to do. Samba began to cause all sorts of issues in the Sunderland box, nearly scored with a volley similar to his last minute winner against Spurs last season and got the flick on for Santa Cruz to poke home. We do need to pay attention after we've scored though, a horrific error from Simpson let Kenwyne Jones through and a late offside flag saved us from a Sunderland equaliser. Warnock came on just after the first goal and gave us a bit more solidity and end product down the left hand side.

I thought the second goal was really well created actually. Beautiful ball over the top from Tugay for Derbyshire to run onto, played out to Simpson on the overlap who got a decent cross in for once. Under pressure from Roque, Fulop made a clanger and palmed it straight into their right back's path who deflected it into the net. Fulop had to do something though as there was a Rovers player sitting at the back post ready for the tap in. Again we lost concentration after the goal and let Sunderland back into it before managing to hang on. The last 20 minutes were pretty entertaining, with Roque and Warnock on, Rovers played some decent stuff and stood relatively firm at the back. Villanueva came on for the last ten though struggled to make much of an impression, his lack of pace rather let him down when we were trying to break though once again he showed some neat touches.

If we have Roque fit and firing we'll do ok this season. He seems to give the team belief as well as obviously being the biggest goal threat we have. Elsewhere Robinson was my MOTM for the saves he made in the first half and Samba and Zurab looked pretty solid, made a couple of errors but managed to clean it up. None of our fringe players made a pressing claim for inclusion, Mokoena did alright in midfield though was hampered by an early booking - clearly no more than a squad player though. I don't think the young lads on the wing look ready for a first team start and Carlos failed to have much of an impact in his favoured no.10 role (though one probably can't read too much into this away from home with 10 minutes left). He'll have more use when teams are sitting back against us.

The players clearly appreciated the fan's efforts at the end of the game. A lad down the front got Samba's shirt and it was nice to see Tugay captaining the team as well.

I thought the second goal was really well created actually. Beautiful ball over the top from Tugay for Derbyshire to run onto, played out to Simpson on the overlap who got a decent cross in for once.

The other way round I think. Thanks for the report though.

If it's of any interest, the commentator [smart - ex-Carlisle and PNE player] on Radio Lancs was talking about Fowlers performance. He thought that Fowler wasn't mobile enough nowadays. He made the point that a few years back he could have created a few opportunities for himself, through his movement and intelligence. Because of his lack of mobility now, he had to have the service. He also thought that playing him deep now was of no use.

First of all, I'd like to thank Flopsy. I was the one who was supposed to do the preview, but life has been a bit hectic this week and I lost track of things. So a special thanks to him, I owe him one and it was a very interesting read.

Obviously very pleased with the result. Big risk to rest so many players, but it worked out.

Maybe not anybody's fault in particular but that goal of Jones should certainly have been stopped.

Back to the situation that I and others have mentioned on here re the slow response to sensing the danger signs and closing down quickly.

Very poor performance but an excellent result. I totally agree with Rev with regard to team selection - Ince got it wrong. We ought to have been well beaten by half-time but fortunately a combination of good goalkeeping and weak finishing meant we began the second period still in the game.

The selection of Fowler and Haworth was a total mystery to me. Fowler is beginning to overtake Frank Lord as the worst centre-forward I have ever seen in a Rovers' shirt. In many ways it's rather sad to see a once great player reduced to this. I also don't understand how Haworth got the nod for the place on the wing. He's hardly featured for the Reserves this season while Aaron Doran and Alan Judge have both been in superb form playing on the wings for the second string. I thought that selection a real slap in the face for the work Doran and Judge have done with the Reserves. It was no surprise when Haworth was subbed in the second half. The lad did his best but he's hardly played any football this season before last night.

We only really got to grips with the game once Roque and Warnock were introduced. Even so, another 90 minutes of football brought one decent effort on target - Roque's goal - and we had to be thankful that Sunderland took pity on our lacklustre attack and helped us out by scoring an own goal. If the club decide to cash in on Roque in January then I think we will be in real trouble.

I thought Jones was impressive for Sunderland. I particularly liked the way he worked our defence so that when crosses came in he had got himself into a position where he was being marked by Simpson or Olsson and, of course, could easily outjump them.

I suspect - and hope - that Saturday's game will be totally different from this. I just hope that the manager selects a side that offers a little more in attack than this one did.

I don't know what Ince can do to please some of you muppets, we didn't play that well last night, but we still got the result, with an under strength team. I am sure you would of complained still if we played well last night and we did not get the result.

Give Ince a break FFS,

Means nowt.

Rather have 3 points in the league

Typical. If we get to the final, please dont come then either - support like yours isnt needed. Shouldnt you be at Stamford Bridge tonight? :rolleyes:

Hughesy don't bite, he's a wind up merchant and has been doing that on here for years. Put him on ignore, it will save your sanity and won't cause you to miss the point of any thread.

A worrying win.

Is there such a thing? Talk about taking the shine off it.

Great result last night even if the performance wasn't that good. It reminded me of times under Hughes when we had an awful first half but still pulled of the result in the second half by taking our chances when they came. Even better the fact that we played a basic reserve side against a full strength Sunderland team and still pulled off the victory away from home. Stoke, Burnley, Watford or Derby in the next round please :D

Robinson - 8 - Very impressive, pulled off a couple of great saves and did all the easy things very well.

Simpson - 6 - Too easily done in the first half but all round did an ok job.

Olsson - 7 - I think this guy definitely has a future, very solid again and good getting forward.

Samba - 7 - Solid if not spectacular. Did his job well against 2 very good strikers.

Zurab - 7 - If he was 6 foot plus then he would be a guaranteed starter for us every week. Only flaw was in the air at times.

Howarth - 6 - Looked like he has good pace and decent height but he is scarily weak due to being so thin. Showed he could take on his man but needs the experience to make the right pass and decision in the final third.

Treacy - 6 - Did ok, nothing outstanding. Won a few balls back in midfield and wipped in one great ball in the first half.

Mokoena - 7 - I think he was great for us last night, wins the ball back for us and what he does is very underrated.

Tugay - 6 - The odd good pass but his lack of mobility alongside Mokoena didnt work too well.

Derbyshire - 6 - Would have been 5 but he did put in a great ball for the second goal. Never looked like scoring.

Fowler - 5 - Very average. Not good enough for this level or even Championship level. Slow and never looks like scoring.

Santa - 8 - Very impressed, great physical threat and clever to get on the end of Sambas header.

Warnock - 6 - Made an error defensively that could have cost us, looked good in possesion and good runs down the left.

Carlos - Not enough time to judge.

It was strange that Ince picked Haworth ahead of Judge. Perhaps, Ince was saving Judge for Saturday, assuming that Emerton and others are still injured.

No self-respecting Premier League team should lose to an opposition that has Tugay and Mokoena in central midfield. I don't mean to be disrespectful of the great talents of Tugay but he is as old as they come and Martin O'Neill and Chris Sutton showed, years ago, how easy it is to nullify him. ANd Wayne Rooney showed in the England - Turkey play-off, how easy it is to get past Tugay.

ANd then Mokoena is a less-than-stately beast of burden who has limited ability.

Roy Keane has signed a whole bunch of multi-million players and they still succumb to the Tugs-Moko tandem. If I was a Sunderland fan, I would be outraged.

From the Rovers perspective, this is a good confidence boost but it sounds like the question marks still hang heavy. Our defence still weak? Treacy still not doing enough to displace the ponderous Gamst? Where's our right winger? Do we have a decent central midfield? Will Robbie Fowler emulate the legendary Spanish whizz, Yordi, and not score a goal?

I don't know what Ince can do to please some of you muppets, we didn't play that well last night, but we still got the result, with an under strength team. I am sure you would of complained still if we played well last night and we did not get the result.

Give Ince a break FFS,

ParsonBlue gave you a report of how he saw the match.

Obviously you only want to hear, what you want to hear.

I agree that people should lay off Ince's team selection.

We have horrendous injuries so Ince has rested our key players for the more important game on saturday. I think Ince thought Sunderland would do the same, they didn't, but we still got a win - so what's the problem?? Alright it wasn't the best performance, but we played well at Villa and came away with nothing - what do you prefer??

You would be moaning if Ince had played Warnock, RSC etc and they had got injured for saturday.

Whatever Ince does he can't win with some people.

I agree that people should lay off Ince's team selection.

We have horrendous injuries so Ince has rested our key players for the more important game on saturday. I think Ince thought Sunderland would do the same, they didn't, but we still got a win - so what's the problem?? Alright it wasn't the best performance, but we played well at Villa and came away with nothing - what do you prefer??

You would be moaning if Ince had played Warnock, RSC etc and they had got injured for saturday.

Whatever Ince does he can't win with some people.

Who are you talking to OJ? I haven't criticised anything from last night.

Archived