BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Sunderland Preview

BRFCBOY

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i live in the garstang area, and that is where andrew howarth who started tonight used to live. from about the age of 7/8 he played for a local club with my brother, called Wyre Villa, until he got snapped up by Rovers. id just like to say well done to paul ince who to be fair picks a cup team to give youngsters chances in the first team, which he does alot more than hughes did. so well done paul ince. and hope he continues to give them a chance. looking forward to watching it on ITV later!! :D:D happy days!!

Whilst we are all going off on tangents about Burnley winning etc.. I think it's worth just clarifying that we are into the Quater Final of another major cup competition, and that 4 of the other teams remaining are below us in the football league pyramid.

Another pre-christmas quarter final to look forward to.

If we have to be away from home then Stoke and Derby wouldn't be so bad. Fairly straight forward to get to, decent folowing and winnable.

I don't know much about this Howarth fella but i've been told he is a right winger and has got a good engine.

With our problems on the right birth due to injuries etc, i'd give him a shot.

I'd say it's the ideal time to give someone young a chance. We can't sign anyone, and no one else is fit to tie Bentley's shoelaces so give Howarth a go! He'll benefit from the experience.

Whilst we are all going off on tangents about Burnley winning etc.. I think it's worth just clarifying that we are into the Quater Final of another major cup competition, and that 4 of the other teams remaining are below us in the football league pyramid.

Another pre-christmas quarter final to look forward to.

If we have to be away from home then Stoke and Derby wouldn't be so bad. Fairly straight forward to get to, decent folowing and winnable.

They reckon the Brittania is even colder than the Reebok though. Stoke'd do me nicely however, cos my daughter's doing her Masters there.

i live in the garstang area, and that is where andrew howarth who started tonight used to live. from about the age of 7/8 he played for a local club with my brother, called Wyre Villa, until he got snapped up by Rovers. id just like to say well done to paul ince who to be fair picks a cup team to give youngsters chances in the first team, which he does alot more than hughes did. so well done paul ince. and hope he continues to give them a chance. looking forward to watching it on ITV later!! :D:D happy days!!

Why is your brother called Wyre Villa?(!)

We should all get doiwn on our knees and pray that we pull the Dingles out on Saturday for several reasons:-

1) They are absolute mince and we would beat them easily.

2) Home or away it's local and will get a good crowd and great atmosphere.

3) Should get on TV and generate lots of money.

4) It could galvanise Paul Ince's Rovers, as the December 2000 game did with Souness.

5) It should give us all lots of funny stories about inbred antics which will last us for several years to come (i.e. until we play them again).

6) Refer to 1 again, an easier draw you could not get at this atge of a competition.

BRING 'EM ON!

I use to play for Wyre Juniors many years ago. Never heard of villa before. I use to live in Garstang back in the day. Never realised Haworth is from there.

I agree no point in having an academy if we never use it. Better to give the young ones a chance rather than playing people out of position.

Great result tonight for us. Funny how we play well and get hammered, then play pish and get a result. Was Villaneuva rested tonight?

Bring on Burnley!

Got back from the game about an hour ago and whilst I am a big supporter of Paul Ince I thought we got lucky last night and that he got his team selection totally wrong.

The first half was abysmal, Sunderland totally dominated and only Robinson (who was superb again) kept us in it.

The second half was a bit better, but we only really perked up once Roque was introduced. His mere presence on the pitch seemed to lift us no end and he must not be sold in January under any circumstances. The introduction of Warnock gave us a further boost and after Sunderland equalised we actually played some decent stuff, a feat that looked completely beyond us in the first half.

If the Carling Cup draw is kosha, we now have a four in seven chance (Dingles Stoke Watford Derby) of a very winnable tie and making it to the semi finals. It was one of my major gripes with Souness that in general that he didn't take the Cups seriously enough and from the manager's comments pre-match he seemed to be of the same mindset.

Personally I'd take a win in any individual Cup tie over any individual League game. The Cups are the only thing we have a chance of winning and we have all season to sort out the League form.

I'll be hopping mad if we see another vastly under strength team selection for the quarter finals and it costs us.

2-1 Jones, Samba error

Just watched the replay of that goal on TV and it wasn't down to Samba in the slightest.

Glad we beat them fecking sunderland ######!!

Group of irish glory hunting barstewards following Keane!

They didn't look a particularly good outfit and there's no reason why (with the strongest team selection available to us) we can't do 'em again at the weekend.

One other thing that has to be said about the game was that as poor as we were for the most part, there didn't seem to be anything at all wrong with the team spirit, we battled away, thus tending to once again disprove suggestions of player unrest etc.

Very poor performance but an excellent result. I totally agree with Rev with regard to team selection - Ince got it wrong. We ought to have been well beaten by half-time but fortunately a combination of good goalkeeping and weak finishing meant we began the second period still in the game.

The selection of Fowler and Haworth was a total mystery to me. Fowler is beginning to overtake Frank Lord as the worst centre-forward I have ever seen in a Rovers' shirt. In many ways it's rather sad to see a once great player reduced to this. I also don't understand how Haworth got the nod for the place on the wing. He's hardly featured for the Reserves this season while Aaron Doran and Alan Judge have both been in superb form playing on the wings for the second string. I thought that selection a real slap in the face for the work Doran and Judge have done with the Reserves. It was no surprise when Haworth was subbed in the second half. The lad did his best but he's hardly played any football this season before last night.

We only really got to grips with the game once Roque and Warnock were introduced. Even so, another 90 minutes of football brought one decent effort on target - Roque's goal - and we had to be thankful that Sunderland took pity on our lacklustre attack and helped us out by scoring an own goal. If the club decide to cash in on Roque in January then I think we will be in real trouble.

I thought Jones was impressive for Sunderland. I particularly liked the way he worked our defence so that when crosses came in he had got himself into a position where he was being marked by Simpson or Olsson and, of course, could easily outjump them.

I suspect - and hope - that Saturday's game will be totally different from this. I just hope that the manager selects a side that offers a little more in attack than this one did.

A worrying win. All very well passing the ball about but how many times did it flash across the net - it has to go in the net lads.

Thank God for Roque.

Please, please, Fowler has to go. He doesn't need our money, and we don't need him.

Archived