BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gaël Givet

Givet is a very solid defender and most importatly has looked pretty good when those around him weren't.

Gresko was outstanding but never came back from that ankle injury shortly after he signed permanently.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quick, decisive move, well done Sam.

Allardyce's style of old seems to be to get players sorted asap and not wait until the last minute as we usually do to be either disappointed, held to ransom or blackmailed.

Allardyce's style of old seems to be to get players sorted asap and not wait until the last minute as we usually do to be either disappointed, held to ransom or blackmailed.

It's the way to do things. Last summer was a total cock up. Givet is an excellent signing and an investment. Lets hope there is a bit more for Sam to spend. He knows what he is doing in the transfer market.

Excellent news! Hopefully a sign of things to come in terms of the clubs signings. A real confidence booster.

Another 5 Givet's and we'll be back challenging for Europe!

Another 5 Givet's and we'll be back challenging for Europe!

Indeed, that is the nature of the game. 7 or 8 average players and 3 or 4 better ones and we are in Europe. The same 7 or 8 average players with 3 or 4 worse ones and we are fighting relegation.

Twas ever thus.

Gresko was brilliant for us - and had a pretty distinuished career - until he got injured with us (towards the end of his loan spell by leeds thug danny mills if i remember correctly?) After that he never was the same player. Gutting really, he was class before that but he never recovered from that injury. We've lost a few players like that - Thompson, Gresko, Reid, Jansen - I'm sure it happens to other clubs but it seems to happen a lot more to us, but maybe that's my rovers glasses on.

Anyhow, Givet should be fine unless he gets a bad injury, so doubt a perminent transfer would harm his ability at all. Hopefully he'll be like Bentley - minus the attitude - and go from strength to strength as a full rover.

Gresko was brilliant for us - and had a pretty distinuished career - until he got injured with us (towards the end of his loan spell by leeds thug danny mills if i remember correctly?) After that he never was the same player. Gutting really, he was class before that but he never recovered from that injury. We've lost a few players like that - Thompson, Gresko, Reid, Jansen - I'm sure it happens to other clubs but it seems to happen a lot more to us, but maybe that's my rovers glasses on.

It happens to all clubs, but we had a great team pretty much ruined by unlucky events.

To my mind, the "Gresko was a brilliant player but got injured and never recovered" is a total myth.

He was, admittedly, effective at left back when he joined, however, you will remember that his joining us coincided with the return of Duff in later stages of that season. Duff was in excellent form and he effectively propelled us into the UEFA cup. Gresko benefited from having the Duffster playing ahead of him. Gresko also benefited from being compared to Nils Eric Johansson, the previous and embarrassing incumbent of the berth.

Despite this, Gresko did play well. However, anyone remember that 5-2 defeat (something like that) against Newcastle that season? The "fabulous" Gresko was absolutely hapless in trying to defend against Bellamy. I think Tiny played that day.

Gresko enjoyed a purple patch when he joined us on loan. His career had undergone a horrific crash in Italy and he was drifting around in Parma's (?) reserves. He had got found out in Italy. He soon got found out in England.

Despite this, Gresko did play well. However, anyone remember that 5-2 defeat (something like that) against Newcastle that season? The "fabulous" Gresko was absolutely hapless in trying to defend against Bellamy. I think Tiny played that day.

It was 5-1 - we won the return leg 5-2 the same season though.

And mum, yes he did - we conceeded 3 in the last 10 mins if I recall correctly.

To my mind, the "Gresko was a brilliant player but got injured and never recovered" is a total myth.

He was, admittedly, effective at left back when he joined, however, you will remember that his joining us coincided with the return of Duff in later stages of that season. Duff was in excellent form and he effectively propelled us into the UEFA cup. Gresko benefited from having the Duffster playing ahead of him. Gresko also benefited from being compared to Nils Eric Johansson, the previous and embarrassing incumbent of the berth.

Gresko enjoyed a purple patch when he joined us on loan. His career had undergone a horrific crash in Italy and he was drifting around in Parma's (?) reserves. He had got found out in Italy. He soon got found out in England.

"I think Tiny played that day" says it all really if we conceded 5 goals!

Gresko- Brilliant. Two words that should never be in the same sentence. I'd rather have Davidson, Matteo, Bjornebye, Andy Burgin , that little toe rag who ended up with an ankle bracelet whose name escapes me, me, any body. He could have been the worst left back ever to play for Rovers.

• 1 year later...

Time for him to go, get a proper left back.

He offers us nothing. He's too slow and limited to be a full back, he's too small to be a centre back. Plus he's error prone.

Get rid, get a proper left back and we'll be a better team. This isn't kneejerk either, I've said the same a few times this season (I'll pull the posts if I have to!).

Time for him to go, get a proper left back.

He offers us nothing. He's too slow and limited to be a full back, he's too small to be a centre back. Plus he's error prone.

Get rid, get a proper left back and we'll be a better team. This isn't kneejerk either, I've said the same a few times this season (I'll pull the posts if I have to!).

No, he's not.

Givet has been a good player for Rovers, but his first position is centre-back. He's a very limited left-back; which is why I agree that we need an expert in that position. But selling Givet? That's harsh.

No, he's not.

Givet has been a good player for Rovers, but his first position is centre-back. He's a very limited left-back; which is why I agree that we need an expert in that position. But selling Givet? That's harsh.

Samba, Jones and Nelsen are better centre backs.

We played him there recently and he was awful. He's far too small to be a Premier League centre back, he's easy to exploit.

I don't see how you can argue that we wouldn't be a better team with a proper left back in the team instead of Givet.

Samba, Jones and Nelsen are better centre backs.

We need strength in depth. Nelsen's coming to the twilight of his career, and who knows how long Samba & Jones will be here.

We played him there recently and he was awful. He's far too small to be a Premier League centre back, he's easy to exploit.

He's not too small. Givet's like, what, an inch shorter than Jamie Carragher? If you don't think he's good enough, fine, but there's no height issue.

I don't see how you can argue that we wouldn't be a better team with a proper left back in the team instead of Givet.

Did you even read my post?

"He's a very limited left-back; which is why I agree that we need an expert in that position"

Archived