BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gaël Givet

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:mellow:

You're a hard man to please Den, I'll give you that.

Have we ever had anyone on loan/trial you've really rated? :D

Dave Gregory was good Rev. :lol:

You have to set your standards high in this league Simon. :lol:

"The Lancashire Telegraph understand Rovers had agreed a £3.5million option to make the defender’s move permanent this summer but, despite their interest, the move is in danger of collapse due a change in management at Marseille.

Sources close to his parent club claim the French oufit could yet look to scupper any move with the imminent arrival of new coach Didier Deschamps perhaps offering him a lifeline in his home country.

Deschamps managed Givet for three successful seasons at Monaco, where they won the title and reached the Champions League Final together, and also tried to sign him at Juventus.

Givet had fallen out of favour with his parent club after a bust-up with present boss Eric Gerets and was desperate to leave but Deschamps is understood to be keen on trying to persuade him to remain in France.

Rovers though remain confident the French international will be keen on extending his Ewood Park stay and believe Marseille are still keen to deal. "

Id rate to have Givet in our squad. Id consider him and Samba at the back, but I wouldnt want him to be our left back, with or without Warnock.

He has been skinned by pace and like others have said whilst solid defensively offers absolutely nothing in terms of attacking threat.

Says on the BBC website gossip column he will complete a 4m permanent switch - source Daily Mirror

BBC GOSSIP

Also on there that RSC wil turn down Arse and Spuids to secure a move to Citeh or Scouseland - source the Sun

And that we are competing with Sheff U for Nob End keeper Lonergan - source the Sun

And to think City paid £12million for Wayne Bridge :lol:

Stupid waste of other peoples money just cos it's there! How many times have we witnessed that?

Pity they did that cos we could have got 12m for Warnock and City would have had a better player.

CAPT KAYOS - All that was yesterdays news.

£3.5m for Givet according to the sun & LET.

Ah yesterday's news ... todays fish' n chips

Alwways behind time me Hughesy :lol:

Either price its a snip - the guy is class

Deal agreed with Player & Club

Deal agreed with agent, player & club - £3.5m. Will be formalised in the summer but the deal has been agreed in principle now. :tu:

Says in the article we had agreed the price but the club was considering to let the deadline pass and re-negotiate the deal, but due to interest from several other clubs, we have acted now.

GIVET IS A ROVER!!

Has anyone ever heard or seen any quotes from Givet? Can't say I've ever heard an interview of any kind. Hope this hgoes through, he's a quality player. Saying that, I said that about Gresko and we all know what happened there. Leicester away anyone?

Yup. And with our potential returns versus initial price, the "Walkers" should be seeing this as a potential cash generator and a better business model than currently sh11t1ng money on the stocks. A bit of investment could go a long way.

Was Gresko ever that good though, whereas Givet is a French internatioal. You don't get caps playing for France without being fairly good. They have a decent array of talent there.

I remember Gresko receiving rave reviews during his loan spell. And he had previously played for Bayer Leverkusen, Inter, and Parma.

He certainly looks it. Lets hope he isn't another Vraty Gresko!

I really don't think he is. He's played in a CL final (He'll be the 3rd Rovers player who played in that final; joining Nonda and Benni). He's been capped 13 teams by France, a team that had some decent centre players at centre half and left back during the time he was capped (2004-2006); Lizarazu, Gallas, Thuram, Abidal, Silvestre, Desailly, Evra, Mexés and recently Clichy. I'm sure I'm forgetting some as well. Basically the point is that he's a quality player and has been for many years, and would've been capped even more if not for some excellent competition. He's not flashy, his game to me seems based on solid fundamentals and a good understanding of the game, things you won't suddenly lose. I'm not worried.

I don't think it's a superfluous move at all, even if Warnock stays. Warnock can play CM and do a decent job on the left wing as well, and having Givet means we can lose one of Nelsen, Samba and Warnock to injury/suspension/move up front without losing any quality at the back. It also allows us to rest players when need be. Not to mention that he could dislodge one of those guys.

People like making these comparisons; i.e one left back loanee-turned-permanent signing didn't work out, so this one won't either. One Egyptian is moody, this one will be too. Our last Swede didn't work out, so the next one won't, etc etc. I think it's stupid to take a few common denominators and from that extrapolate that the outcome will be the same. Instead look at all the things that differ, and judge them as individuals.

Archived