SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Kit - Feedback For Fans Forum

297 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new kit

• Love it
    • Its OK
    • Hate it
    • Designed by Lee Grooby after 5 pints !

- Hopefully the 33% who hate it is the demographic who wouldn't bother to buy an away shirt anyway.

there's usually at least one bought in my household but this year I certainly won't be paying for it as I usually do.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whats the material like on the new shirt? because thats what put me off, it just makes it look tacky, at least on the USA shirt the material is good quality and the blue isnt quite so bright, although it is growing on me

The new away kit is awful, plain and simply a complete waste of time and effort and surely wont raise a great amount of income to the club. As somebody said earlier there are plenty of better designs knocked up by the fans.

Why cant the club put forward the next seasons designs at an end of seasons fans forum and let the supporters present select the best? I know they like to be secretive about shirts for some unknown reason but surely if it gets the fans thumbs up then sales would be up anyway.

To be fair I was all for Umbro as kit supplier but aside of the first seasons efforts the shirts have been ok at best. Oh for the days of the asics home kits and asics red and black away kits, surely the best selling shirts in the clubs history.

The new away kit is awful, plain and simply a complete waste of time and effort and surely wont raise a great amount of income to the club. As somebody said earlier there are plenty of better designs knocked up by the fans.

Why cant the club put forward the next seasons designs at an end of seasons fans forum and let the supporters present select the best? I know they like to be secretive about shirts for some unknown reason but surely if it gets the fans thumbs up then sales would be up anyway.

To be fair I was all for Umbro as kit supplier but aside of the first seasons efforts the shirts have been ok at best. Oh for the days of the asics home kits and asics red and black away kits, surely the best selling shirts in the clubs history.

Don't forget some of the horrendous efforts Asics gave us - funny orange and silver, and illuminous yellow :)

We went to shop this morning to get ours, I do think it looks better in the flesh. The lady said that they had been selling well.

Random thoughts:

- I remain astonished the club does not insist on having the away shirt halved. Halves are the club's brand image and something that immediately identify us globally. The colour clashes with this new shirt would be no worse if we had gone red and white halves.

- I hope the coloured under arm sweat stain concept isn't carried over onto the new home shirt- it will look awful if it does.

- Hopefully the 33% who hate it is the demographic who wouldn't bother to buy an away shirt anyway.

Excellent post by Jisty.

Not often I learn somethng new about Rovers' history but that inute of the first meeting regarding the club colours was something I didn't know before. I had previously understood the club were going to use Shrewsbury School's green and white halves but the swapped to blue and white halves before the first ever game.

Lucky escape on the green and white.

I buy the away shirt whenever I really like it (red and black halves for example), but this one I won't be buying. I don't understand why we don't go down the red and black halves every season route, I think it would be great for the club's image and personally I would buy the away shirt every year then.

I know umbro may have told the club that it would be bad for sales, but I think the halves at our club is a bit different from someone like Manchester City always having the same coloured away shirt.

It's commercial lunacy for a kit manufacturer to take on the BRFC account and agree to do a halved away shirt every time. The home shirt is untouchable - so the away must be allowed unlimited flex.

Umbro kicked off this partnership with Rovers with the red and black halves. A great away kit. They followed it with the dark blue - when it came out lots of people slated it. But looking round the Blackburn End on matchday, I see almost as many dark blue away shirts as current home shirts, and very few red and blacks. I'm sure the dark blue away kit has worked well for club and supplier.

This white kit will perform just as well - it's very wearable in non-match situations (they could have enhanced this benefit by making the Crown lettering much smaller). It may not fly off the shelves on day one, but over the year it will do as well as the dark blue.

Then next season Umbro will hit us with halves again, and all the people who are moaning just now will be flocking to spend their cash. Everyone will be happy :)

So you're saying that if the away kit was halved every season no one would buy it? Then why do people buy this all white one when last year's was all blue? I can understand why they may not want to be locked in to say blue and white and then red and black for the away, but I can't see it being a problem if they always had halves and changed the colours.

It looks like a training kit - but hey at least we'll wear it in the Prem.

Can you imagine the reaction if we were not (very nearly) safe.

The black and red halves are great and they'll be back.

or Orange and Black halves until we get back to Red and Black halves, simples!

Orang and black halves will make some of our more "round" fans look like human jaffa cakes though :rolleyes:

It sucks because

1) Looks too much like Bolton

2) White shirt and rep pants don't go together well

3) Has no consistency with the other shirts. Should have been either one solid color or something halved.

At least the damn socks should have been white. It looks like we forgot our red shirts, and had to quickly go and get the white training tops. Im sorry but its not a good looking shirt, and i would have loved a Black shirt instead like the one put up earlier.

It looks like a training kit - but hey at least we'll wear it in the Prem.

Can you imagine the reaction if we were not (very nearly) safe.

The black and red halves are great and they'll be back.

Yeh, bring back the red and black halves, best away we've ever had.

In the meantime I'm supporting Polska

It looks better in the flesh, so to speak. Son and girlfriend have just got themselves one each and they look better than I expected. I rather like the red shorts and socks, I'm not a fan of black shorts (can just about tolerate them with a red/black halved shirt) and I hate black socks.

Valid point ChesterRover but do you really think Umbro, as kit designers (amongst other things), would allow fans to design kits for them? I doubt Umbro would be that personal about it and it'd probably be seen as them making money out of a kit they never designed in the first place. Maybe the fan who wins the kit design competition gets something out of it.

Perhaps Umbro could use some common sense, a few employees sent to Ewood on match days asking for fans ideas on new kits. Then they could knock up 4 or 5 designs then show them at a fans forum and let us select the best, that way they design them, we choose them, the majority like them and go out and purchase and hey ho everyones happy.

Then again this is 2009 and common sense appears to be a business no no. :wacko:

Archived