BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Accrington Stanley

They have been issued a winding-up order from inland revenue due to unpaid tax and N.I contributions.

HM Revenue and Customs debt

Accrington Stanley have received notice of commencement of winding up proceedings issued by HM Revenue and Customs in respect of unpaid tax and national insurance contributions of around £300,000, to be heard in the High Court on 10th June, 2009.

Although we do not look to make excuses the arrears have occurred due to a number of factors, most notably because of the club’s contractual obligations with regards to players wages despite the fact that levels of income have dropped significantly.

While we have been back in the Football League, our average attendance has dropped from 2,260 in our first season three years ago to 1,415 for the season just gone. Despite the falling attendances and general economic downturn our request for dispensation from the Football League to postpone having to install an additional thousand seats was turned down requiring us to carry out over £60,000 of work on the ground, and we also took a significant hit with the collapse of our main sponsor Fraser Eagle midway through last season, with well over £100,000 owing to the club.

All this said, the club fully accepts the liability, we believe that it is morally right that the money should be paid and are not seeking to avoid paying the any part of the debt. With the end of the current season we now have the opportunity to restructure the finances of the club, particularly in terms of revising our playing budget, and we are confident that working with our professional advisers we will find a solution to clear the outstanding balance in full.

Aside from the amount owing to HM Revenue and Customs our other liabilities come to less than a quarter of this figure, certainly not excessive for a company of our size with the majority incurred as general day to day operational costs.

Source: http://www.accringtonstanley.co.uk/

Let's hope they do not go bust again!

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm certain I can't be the only person who is intrested in this. It would be a shame if any football team went bust. Nevermind if Accrington were to defunct again...

You're not. I went to school in Accy and Stanley are very close to my heart.

I'm a Rovers fan first, but I'm also a Stanley fan.

Fingers crossed that this all gets resolved with the club staying in existence.

They're not my second team as such. Being from Blackburn though I've always looked on them with fondness and I was pleased when the town of Accrington had a professional team in the league again. Like I said though, it would be a shame if any team went bust (if them lot down the road).

Whilst they may be rivals in the sense that they are close to Blackburn and reduce our catchment area, it is always a shame when a club is threatened with extinction. I was annoyed when Luton went into administration, and the lack of help and concern from the FA.

I hope Rovers and the dingles help them out by way of arranging some friendly matches during pre-season.

Yep thats a good idea. Hold the freindly at Ewood or Turf and give them all the profit from the game.

We normally play them pre season at their place - or at least have done these last few years.

No offence like guys, I know we've come into a few quid but in the 17/18 years you've had 200 million plus from uncle Jack and all that Prem money - I'm sure you'd miss a couple of hundred thousand a lot less than we would :rolleyes:

Seriously though - maybe we could enter the hospital cup or something with proceeds from the games going to Accy?

This is bad news cos the Revenbue are less compromising then other creditors when it comes to this type of thing..Rovers come first,butI have watched Stanley for 6 seasons now.(glory huntinmg at bit I admit.and its has been wonderful).The fans play football mid week on Astro truf at Hydnburn and anyone ,any age can join in which is one of the big attractions in supporting for me.. something I wish the fans would do at Blackburn...Standing up behind the goal is like reliving the good old days..

Yep thats a good idea. Hold the freindly at Ewood or Turf and give them all the profit from the game.

Why? Yeah it's Accrington Stanley, everyone has a soft spot for them. But for me it's about Blackburn Rovers, and we need the money, maybe not as much as they do, but it's not as though we have Uncle Jack's millions anymore.

There problem, and i'm sure they'll sort it without any help from us.

What gets me about stories like this and the mess other clubs have found themselves in is not for mega bucks self imploding Leeds style debts, but for figures that Ronaldo or Terry or Gerrard alone would have little problem financing with little more than a months wages (after tax).

That is just plain wrong.

I hope Rovers and the dingles help them out by way of arranging some friendly matches during pre-season.

Looking further down their official site home page, a pre-season friendly is already in the offing on 31st July. Stanley XI vs Rovers XI.

I think perhaps it needs upgrading and moving to Ewood.

I wouldn't count on any help from the Clampets, wasn't it them who effectively sent Stanley into oblivion first time around and stole all of their fans?

Why? Yeah it's Accrington Stanley, everyone has a soft spot for them. But for me it's about Blackburn Rovers, and we need the money, maybe not as much as they do, but it's not as though we have Uncle Jack's millions anymore.

There problem, and i'm sure they'll sort it without any help from us.

I hate this sort of attitude.

Lancashire's town clubs are a significant part of England's football history. Rovers should do as much as they can to help Stanley though their present difficulties.

I hate this sort of attitude.

Lancashire's town clubs are a significant part of England's football history. Rovers should do as much as they can to help Stanley though their present difficulties.

Why should they?

It's their own problem and they deal with it. We have our own financial problems to deal with. We have to scrape through each season on a limited budget and every penny is vital to us. If we are to give Charity i'd rather give it to a group that would find it more beneficial and actually save lives. Not to a football club. I don't see other PL clubs giving us money because we struggle.

Life's a bitch, you just have to get on with it!

We have our own financial problems to deal with. We have to scrape through each season on a limited budget and every penny is vital to us. If we are to give Charity i'd rather give it to a group that would find it more beneficial and actually save lives.

Rovers can help Stanley to raise money in many ways without actually handing over a penny.

Next time you're bleeding in the middle of the road after an accident I'll pass by.

Archived