BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Accrington Stanley

Rovers can help Stanley to raise money in many ways without actually handing over a penny.

Next time you're bleeding in the middle of the road after an accident I'll pass by.

That's the difference though, it's not a life threatening incident is it? I don't see other Championship clubs helping out Southampton?

We may not have to hand over a penny, but we'd be losing potential profit. We could play another team, where we could gain extra revenue, which could make a difference in our season ahead.

How would we all feel if our club went bust? We'd be devastated. For me, it's doing it for the fans of the clubs more than anything else...

And if your grandma had balls she'd be your grandad!

It's not happened to Rovers, so it's not to bother. Would you feel sorry for those Burnley fans if they went bust, or would you be running the marathon in order to raise money to help them survive?

Didn't think so...

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 61 yr old dad is from Accy and though he has no interest in football hates Burnley with a passion. He says the chairman of Burnley took over Accy with the sole purpose of putting it out of business in order to make Burnley Accrington's club. My dad rambles on about others issues but the long and short is Burnley killed Stanley, according to my dad. Dubious, but its Burnely so I'll believe it.

I'd be sad to see Accy go, there is a close member of my family who has been making financial contributions to Stanley for at least 10 years, she'll be gutted. But, the fact of the matter is the area can't support so many clubs, something has to give.

It's not happened to Rovers, so it's not to bother. Would you feel sorry for those Burnley fans if they went bust, or would you be running the marathon in order to raise money to help them survive?

I don't really understand what you have against a game to raise funds for a smaller club like Accrington, they're hardly competition for us. In non-league in the north west teams struggle every year to keep on going. Just because these are small clubs, it doesn't mean that the people who support them have any less feelings for them than you do for Rovers. Every year PNE play both Chorley and Bamber Bridge on the same day, which brings in one of the highest attendances of the season for both teams providing some well needed cash. Is Rovers having a game against Accy any different or will do any harm?

That's the difference though, it's not a life threatening incident is it? I don't see other Championship clubs helping out Southampton?

Southampton are a different case, a big club fallen on hard times. They would not expect to receive help from their rivals nor would they seek it.

A club like Stanley however are different. They will never be able to compete with Rovers (or Burnley) in terms of size or support. They are not our rivals.

Rovers should extend the helping hand of friendship to a troubled neighbour. Any decent football fan would agree.

Southampton are a different case, a big club fallen on hard times. They would not expect to receive help from their rivals nor would they seek it.

A club like Stanley however are different. They will never be able to compete with Rovers (or Burnley) in terms of size or support. They are not our rivals.

Rovers should extend the helping hand of friendship to a troubled neighbour. Any decent football fan would agree.

I really hope they survive, Teams disappearing from cities and towns is the saddest thing in sports, if your team loses they play again next week, if your team is relegated they still play the next year. If they dissolve or move to a different city, Its like a death in the family.

Why should they?

It's their own problem and they deal with it. We have our own financial problems to deal with. We have to scrape through each season on a limited budget and every penny is vital to us. If we are to give Charity i'd rather give it to a group that would find it more beneficial and actually save lives. Not to a football club. I don't see other PL clubs giving us money because we struggle.

Life's a bitch, you just have to get on with it!

Your attitude stinks pal

Why should they?

It's their own problem and they deal with it. We have our own financial problems to deal with. We have to scrape through each season on a limited budget and every penny is vital to us. If we are to give Charity i'd rather give it to a group that would find it more beneficial and actually save lives. Not to a football club. I don't see other PL clubs giving us money because we struggle.

Life's a bitch, you just have to get on with it!

Terrible attitude. Accrington are my home town club. I hope they pull through. I think a friendly would be a good idea (I remember I went to one at Ewood park when I was younger)

Rovers can help Stanley to raise money in many ways without actually handing over a penny.

Next time you're bleeding in the middle of the road after an accident I'll pass by.

The humane thing would be to run over him and put him out of his misery........ as it should be with Stanley. There is no way that they can command enough support to sustain a fully professional club. Anybody who thinks they or clubs like em has a future as a professional league club is a whiptop.

Question for you Jimski (and Bucky).......... If the people of Accy can't be bothered to support em financially then why the hell should anybody else?

Terrible attitude. Accrington are my home town club. I hope they pull through. I think a friendly would be a good idea (I remember I went to one at Ewood park when I was younger)

Your attitude stinks pal

It's my personal opinion, respect it, in the same way I respect yours. Rovers need money, and if it means playing friendlies against anyone else and earning any sort of extra revenue then i'm all for it. This stupid idea of giving all the profits to them makes no sense to me. I'd rather play a friendly VS Leeds and gain some money for OUR club. The people of Accrington can't be bothered to get up and raise a few bob for their team, then why should our football club be bothered? Just because Accrington Stanley are loved by all football supporters, especially in the North West, it doesn't mean they have the right to charity. I'd rather Rovers played a game and gave the profits to a Charitable Organisation, rather than spend it on Accrington Stanley. Wouldn't you agree with me Bucky,Bryan and Jim? Then again my attitude does stink so who knows :rolleyes:

Accrington Stanley are a football club like the other 91 football teams around them. They are nothing special. If they can't compete with Rovers then what is that got to do with us? Give them half our support? What?

If they can't afford to be a football team then sod off. I'm sure someone out there can take their place. Rovers need to earn as much revenue themselves before considering Accrington.

Call me selfish, call me what you want. I was bought up supporting Blackburn Rovers and no-one else. I couldn't give a monkeys if anyone went into administration, as long as it isn't Rovers, i'm happy.

Enjoy the rest of the season ;)

I say play a game against them to help them salvage the situation, If they survive then good for them. If they don't survive, well we tried to help them save there club and maybe that would lead to more of thier supporters following us instead of burnley...

The saddest part about is that the ones who will suffer the most if they dissolve will be those that have a season ticket, and really if you already have a season ticket then your not the one to blame...

Ive seen teams leave, infact i can't support my own domestic league any more because my team packed up and left.

Call me selfish, call me what you want. I was bought up supporting Blackburn Rovers and no-one else. I couldn't give a monkeys if anyone went into administration, as long as it isn't Rovers, i'm happy.

Enjoy the rest of the season ;)

You've got a real feeling for the heritage of the game, haven't you?

Plenty of clubs in the lower reaches will be having problems, shall we let them all go to the wall?

What would football be in this country without the grass roots?

I'm not going to respect your opinion because you're talking @#/?.

Plenty of clubs in the lower reaches will be having problems, shall we let them all go to the wall?

Unfortunately clubs need to find their own level either through the support of the local people, a rich benefactor or whatever. There are probably dozens of non League clubs in a better financial position than Stanley but who cut their cloth according to what they can afford.

One could argue that Rovers are punching well above their weight and ultimately may end up in a lower League. If that happens I'm pretty sure no other club will be too concerned.

Having said that it would be nice to see both Rovers and Burnley trying to help if at all possible. Like the idea of a "friendly" match. It could be dress rehearsal for the police !!!

Yes. They won't disappear but they'll simply end up with amateur status.

Bryan don't blame b&wr. If you want a scapegoat blame the FA and the EU etc. I've said many times that 92 clubs cannot survive in the modern game. If football was invented NOW I doubt there'd be any more than 30 or 40 at the most. The PL and the Bosman ruling simply ensures that the huge money that is generated in English football is simply buying yachts and Villa's for players and agents around the Med.

Basically professional football is a business before it is a sport and there is no room for sentiment in business. If we help out stanley this year they'll just go bust next year.

Again, why not answer the question I pose forward to you? Would you rather Rovers play a game of football to help a Charitable Organisation or a game to help a club that can't survive in the FL? Like I said before, I couldn't give a monkeys about the other 91 teams. My team is Blackburn Rovers, and I want what's best for them, and playing a game of football to make another football team survive in this league is pointless, as we could use that revenue somewhere else. Even if we give something like £4000 worth of profit to them, that could be used to give roughly 60 free season tickets to Juniors around the Blackburn with Darwen Area.

Not bothered what they do. Southamptoon went bust, Luton went bust, you don't see anyone else giving a toss about them. If I remember correctly, when Luton played in the FA Cup VS Liverpool, Luton asked for all of the gate revenue from the game opposed to the 50-50 split, Liverpool rightly told them to f**k off.

If you can't cope with the financial demands of the Football League, you don't deserve to be here. What are you going to suggest next? Keep West Brom up in the PL because they play football in the "correct" way? Get a grip.

I don't see many youngsters coming through the ranks. You can blame the FA for that. Most the PL is full of foreigners, and very few youngsters get the chance to make it to the top level.

Someone that has a different opinion from you is talking @#/?. You won't go very far with that attitude. By the way, in which part was I talking "@#/?". I'd love to know.

I say don't bother, proper bitter set of fans at Stanley, don't speak highly of us at all.

Regardless of what they think of us. We shouldn't play them, unless we share the profits equally.

I think it's just teh attitude that gets to me. "They're not Blackburn rovers, so if they go to the wall, that's fine with me" (that is not a direct quote but a characterisation of what you've said before you start nit-picking.)

I'm not naive enough to think that Accrington stanley could be propped up forever more just through playing one friendly match, but I do think it's a bit sad that some people are quite happy to see them go to the wall.

What sort of game would we have left if lower league football died out and we just had the Premiership? You're happy to prosper if you're on the right end of the survival of the fittest philosophy, but what if it were Blackburn who were on the wrong end of it? Would you be ranting about fat cats who didn't care?

As for all this opportunity cost of playing a friendly and helping them, I'm sorry it is just nonsense. Pathetic. You can certainly have a different opinion to me, but I don't have to respect it, sorry.

I think it's just teh attitude that gets to me. "They're not Blackburn rovers, so if they go to the wall, that's fine with me" (that is not a direct quote but a characterisation of what you've said before you start nit-picking.)

I'm not naive enough to think that Accrington stanley could be propped up forever more just through playing one friendly match, but I do think it's a bit sad that some people are quite happy to see them go to the wall.

What sort of game would we have left if lower league football died out and we just had the Premiership? You're happy to prosper if you're on the right end of the survival of the fittest philosophy, but what if it were Blackburn who were on the wrong end of it? Would you be ranting about fat cats who didn't care?

As for all this opportunity cost of playing a friendly and helping them, I'm sorry it is just nonsense. Pathetic. You can certainly have a different opinion to me, but I don't have to respect it, sorry.

You're correct that is my attitude. It's a dog eat dog world Bryan in which we live in, there's barely any room for sentiment or care in football. I'm not happy that Accrington are near enough bust, far from it. But such is life Bryan and you have to get on with it. I just don't see the point in Rovers playing a friendly against them and gaining absolutely nothing from it. I'm sure you'd still be happy if we lost one of our players to injury. There's too much risk attached.

Rather spend the money elsewhere in my opinion. You may have a soft spot for Accrington Stanley, maybe thats why your heart overules your head. Try thinking about it from a business point of view (because that is what football is nowadays) and you'll soon have the same opinion as me.

If their own bloody fans bothered to turn out to watch them they wouldn't even be in this sorry mess!

Stanley have a good supporter in some local asian origin chap, cant think of his name but is one of the stands named after him, he'll surely sort out the inland revenue bill.

The attitude on here sickens me. In reality, a days wages of the top players should be used to help out the founder members of this great sport when they fall on hard times. That won't happen, so I think Burnley and Blackburn should unite to play a game each with Accrington (at the respective bigger stadia -Turd Mound and Ewood) with the proceeds going towards Accrington's debt. If more than 300k is raised then, the rest should be split equally between Rovers and Clarets for their involvement.

The attitude on here sickens me. In reality, a days wages of the top players should be used to help out the founder members of this great sport when they fall on hard times. That won't happen, so I think Burnley and Blackburn should unite to play a game each with Accrington (at the respective bigger stadia -Turd Mound and Ewood) with the proceeds going towards Accrington's debt. If more than 300k is raised then, the rest should be split equally between Rovers and Clarets for their involvement.

Just a quick point Accrington Stanley FC ARENT founder members of the football league anyway, bit of a scant regard for the history of the game there.

Archived