BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nikola Kalinic

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even Allardyce alluded to Kalinic not progressing well when he was here, no reason to believe that’s changed.

I don't think Kalinic was right for our system under Allardyce. I'd rather we had signed someone in the mould of Kevin Davies, a big bruising sod who can hold the ball up and bring the midfielder into the game. Possibly Carew at the time? Seems to have lost his way at Stoke though (unless injured)

Anyway who would you play upfront now. I assume you want to play 4-4-2 Gav?

I don't think Kalinic was right for our system under Allardyce. I'd rather we had signed someone in the mould of Kevin Davies, a big bruising sod who can hold the ball up and bring the midfielder into the game. Possibly Carew at the time? Seems to have lost his way at Stoke though (unless injured)

Anyway who would you play upfront now. I assume you want to play 4-4-2 Gav?

We could get into an Allardyce debate here about Kalinic, but we won’t ZZZZzzzzzz :P

If I had to pick the side straight after Mondays game I’d have gone with the same front two, I thought they played well on Monday, and you’re only as good as your last game, so I’d go with those two.

But as the weeks gone on, I’m more leaning towards RSC because he can score goals, we know that, and that’s what we need. Not sure who I’d drop though.

You?

We could get into an Allardyce debate here about Kalinic, but we won’t ZZZZzzzzzz :P

If I had to pick the side straight after Mondays game I’d have gone with the same front two, I thought they played well on Monday, and you’re only as good as your last game, so I’d go with those two.

But as the weeks gone on, I’m more leaning towards RSC because he can score goals, we know that, and that’s what we need. Not sure who I’d drop though.

You?

begins with R ends in oberts

begins with R ends in oberts

I'm clutching at straws here, mainly because our strikers are cr@p, but a couple of times on Monday Roberts looked really sharp, beating 3 men on halfway near the Riverside to setup an attack, and his ball across the box in the first half was cracking, just 2 things that sticking in my mind from Monday.

• Backroom

I'm clutching at straws here, mainly because our strikers are cr@p, but a couple of times on Monday Roberts looked really sharp, beating 3 men on halfway near the Riverside to setup an attack, and his ball across the box in the first half was cracking, just 2 things that sticking in my mind from Monday.

I would agree that Roberts actually did OK on monday... problem is for all his movement and effort he doesn't really make any assists and when chances fall to him he inevitably misses them. Based on that I probably wouldn't play him, as for all his hustle and bustle it generally comes to nothing. RSC offers even less IMO, and has missed a bunch of sitters himself since he's arrived, but I'd probably still trust him over Roberts to stick the ball in the back of the net.

As much as I'd love for Niko to save the day... I think he's done for this season. Undermined by the manager in public and limited to sub appearances, sometimes not even in the squad, his confidence must be an absolute rock-bottom and that will translate onto the pitch. In our current situation I just don't think we can afford to have him on the pitch in that state of mind.

yeah its just not right having 32 year and 33 year old strikers that seem to never score as our goal threat. when i see them upfront I almost think we deserve to go down. At leasy RSC has some class in him, but we are waiting.

roberts just is not dangerous at all and is much better from the bench.

but you right its a bad bad situation.

As soon as the team was shown on Monday Night I got a message from my mate 'hahaha Roberts and Benjani!? It's not quite Shearer and Sutton is it!?'. Simultaneously I was told by another friend that 'I'm sorry but with that strike force Rovers deserve to go down'. I find myself agreeing.

As soon as the team was shown on Monday Night I got a message from my mate 'hahaha Roberts and Benjani!? It's not quite Shearer and Sutton is it!?'. Simultaneously I was told by another friend that 'I'm sorry but with that strike force Rovers deserve to go down'. I find myself agreeing.

They both had decent games, but the bottom line in this league:

If you can't score goals, you're going down :(

If we go with 2 strikers from the off, I'd pick Benjani and Rochina. I too thought Roberts did some good things and should have won us a penalty. But he had a great chance and missed it and that's all too familiar.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Backroom

Time to wish Niko well and cut our losses on him I think, he should go back to an easier, less physical league.

• Backroom

Yep he must be off, from what I have seen of him for us its no great loss. Not a good signing.

It really wasn't was it, to be honest I don't think he's done a thing that Derbyshire couldn't have done and I was never a fan of Derbyshire.

It really wasn't was it, to be honest I don't think he's done a thing that Derbyshire couldn't have done and I was never a fan of Derbyshire.

No way could Derbyshire fall over as ungracefully so many time as Niko

Yep he does seem to to add little to the team in terms of link up play and holding up the ball and derbs had a beeter knack of being in the right place to stick the ball in the net. If we get back half what we paid for him i'll be happy.

IMO, the lad is a talent that as a club, we've failed to realise.

Make no mistake, Kean's treatment of the lad will come back to haunt us.

I'm sure that it comes as a surprise to you to realised Kean works with Kalinic every day and if he considers Jason Roberts to be a better bet then there is less chance of us regretting the inevitable release of Kalinic as there was when we got rid of Grabbi.

I mean, come on, Jason Roberts ffs! Those dustbins must be giving Niko one hell of a beating in the Ribble Valley.

• Backroom

How about the fact that the manager who signed him for £6m hardly got much joy out of him either?

It's ridiculous how you pretend to be so sure of things over and over when once again it's nothing more than a guess.

How about the fact that the manager who signed him for £6m hardly got much joy out of him either?

It's ridiculous how you pretend to be so sure of things over and over when once again it's nothing more than a guess.

I find Mercerman's comments on this and other things to be quite bizarre at times too.

I'll say this about Niko, he was signed for 6m by Big Sam. Eventually Big Sam stopped playing him. Steve Kean gave him a chance. Steve Kean eventually stopped playing him. See a pattern here? Both managers saw him in training every day. Both managers have come to the same conclusion. I've been saying for a while that he's on his way, if he's not then there must be something else going on...

Kean has got a lot out of Olsson, Nzonzi, Hoilett and P Jones. No problem with using young talent there. I think the plain fact is that Kalinic isn't a good enough all round player. One good game and half a dozen okay games in two years is pathetic. He's gone if we can find anyone to take him.

i was a fan of derbyshire as an impact sub.. but you cant compare the 2, IMO.

nicko's movement is superb, and i agree that if we sell him, it could come back to haunt us.

if he was upfront with a tough physical partner.. he'd stand a better chance of shining.

heard rumours of numerous massive rows with kean and the coaching staff, in recent weeks, (all the rows to do with him not playing originally) and now the coaches think he doesnt work hard enough. convenient ???

they are being stubborn in not picking him. to not even put him on the bench is an insult.

simple equation.. if kean stays.. nicko goes.

he looked glum as anything walking round ewood after the united game.. and dont recall seeing him yesterday ?

he should go back to an easier, less physical league.

Can't say I agree on that one. I think he would do well with a PL club that suits his game and creates goal scoring opportunities for him. He showed good talent in that first season and since then our tactics just haven't suited him at all. Given the right setup he is a 10-15 a season man easy.

Archived